Solex carburettor

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Solex carburettor

Postby jimlagos » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:02 am

I'm trying to sort my 1966 Viva HA SL car.
Can anybody tell me what size the main jet is supposed to be please?
The car runs very well if I keep the choke on a bit, and I don't think this is right!
jimlagos
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Solex carburettor

Postby Bob perry » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:00 pm

It depends which type of Solex carb you have, PSEI,PSEI-4 or PSEI-6, usually stamped on the body.
PSEI has a 110 main jet, PSEI-4 has a 105 main jet and PSEI-6 has a 100 main jet.

I've attached a photo of the page in the manual.

p.m. me if you can't read it.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jimlagos » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:53 pm

Thanks, looks a good starting point.
I'll get this car running right if it kills me!
I've had many cars in my life, road and classic.
This is my first classic Vauxhall.
jimlagos
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby jimlagos » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:59 pm

Well, after many hours spent stripping carb and replacing service parts, I still had a problem with excess fuel dripping through the carb and feeling wet after turning off the engine. In desperation I spoke to Classic Carbs in Brierley Hill. The chap there was very genned up and experienced and solved my problem straight away. Apparently the fuel feed from the pump should be a maximum of 1.5 lbs pressure. Mine for some reason was much higher, although the mechanical pump is the original. I installed a pressure regulator combined with filter and cured my problem immediately! Has anybody else had this problem with their Solex carb?
jimlagos
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby 1972nail » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:10 am

Modern fuels are slightly denser than the fuels originally used in the cars when they were new. Additives to prevent the ethanol evaporating, especially in summer blends, have caused this. Ethanol also holds more water in suspension. This has the effect of increasing fuel pressure slightly and causing some carbs to flood easily. Winter blends are less likely to cause problems. So you may find that a slight increase in pressure is needed once you start using winter blends.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Return to General Discussion