lectric viva

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

lectric viva

Postby timbuk » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:41 pm

guys im gona put an electric motor in my 66 ha anyone done or considered this? thinkin ill use the trans and install a forklift motor? thoughts? no parts available here in canada for these scarce cars!
car guy from canada
timbuk
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: lectric viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:35 pm

It would depend on how fast a forklift truck engine turns ( rpm), they don't generally have a good top speed so it may not be a viable conversion
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jpsmit » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:08 pm

watching with great interest - though not even sure I would keep the transmission.

Let me just put this here: Nissan Leaf conversion

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2021/0 ... ro-regrets
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby cooperman » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:57 pm

I would have thought it would be easier to transfer the motor from a Tesla or similar, I've not seen them but there's a few TV programs over here about workshops doing electric conversions to classics
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:10 am

cooperman wrote:but there's a few TV programs over here about workshops doing electric conversions to classics

I keep watching "Vintage Voltage" in the vain (so far) hope that they'll talk about the other stuff, like heating / demisting the car, but so far it's been the "challenge" of making some motor mounts and battery boxes once they've decided that a spare wheel and (in most cases) any kind of boot space can be sacrificed. At least in the last one (which is half way through the second series) they did talk about power steering, so maybe they'll get around to the other stuff at some point - I do notice that during the customer handover test drive, there seems to be a lot of steamed up windows, though.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Nmatjasic » Sun May 22, 2022 1:58 am

I've contemplated this too. I'm on a few diy EV forums but all the guys I follow are into 12-20k builds.

As for Viva engine and parts... You can buy mine lol. I'm in pei and *very tempted to pull my oem engine out and attempt to put in a 4.3L V6 a friend is offering me.

Mine is driving my nuts. I'm convinced it's a carb or fuel issue still but haven't been able to get it to run or idle for more than a few seconds to a minute. It's complete and many new parts but I just can't figure it out so I'm on the fence about pulling it.

I have alot of metal work and custom suspension plans so engine out would be the plan anyways I think.
Nmatjasic
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby CanadianFirenza » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:00 am

This is a very cool project, I am in Ontario Canada, and would be glad to follow your progress but do not have leads on HA parts right now either, but see some HAs for sale every once in a while on Kijiji.
- 27 years old with 2 1971 Vauxhall Firenza SL 2000s in Canada!
CanadianFirenza
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to General Discussion