My new to me acquisition.

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

My new to me acquisition.

Postby Didalf » Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:44 am

Thanks for allowing me into the group.
So for the first time since the late Eighties Yesterday was my first day of new to me ownership of a 71 SL1600 HC Viva ( for some reason pics won’t upload?). It’s been stood now for a few Years but I’m sure some of you will know the car and I’m hoping I won’t live to regret it as it’s already in pieces!
To be fair though it’s a problem I knew about when I picked it up and already repaired just needs reassembling now, hopefully you good folks won’t mind the subsequent questions and “brain picking” to come as I try to source a few spares and suppliers names from you all. First on the list will be service items such as timing belt, filters, gaskets and seals etc. After a visual inspection I’ve had it running but obviously it’s going nowhere now until the belts changed.
Next step is to become a paid up member, for the extra perks.
Didalf
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: My new to me acquisition.

Postby 1972nail » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:58 pm

Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the forum.

Timing belts are readily available and cheap enough if you search. Here's a link to one of the cheapest I've seen for a while.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155781772953 ... media=COPY
Oil filters are again easy enough to find. The original standard one doesn't have a non return valve but most of the alternatives now have one fitted, it's simply a rubber ring visible through the holes around the filter head.
The valve slows the drain back of the oil and can helps initial pump priming a bit.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Re: My new to me acquisition.

Postby Didalf » Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:39 pm

1972nail wrote:Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the forum.

Timing belts are readily available and cheap enough if you search. Here's a link to one of the cheapest I've seen for a while.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155781772953 ... media=COPY
Oil filters are again easy enough to find. The original standard one doesn't have a non return valve but most of the alternatives now have one fitted, it's simply a rubber ring visible through the holes around the filter head.
The valve slows the drain back of the oil and can helps initial pump priming a bit.

Thanks for that I’m well into it now, having changed the cam box and cam cover gaskets as well as tightened up a multitude of loose bolts around the sump. Timing belt and oil and filter changed and running sweet as a nut, even managed to find a new old stock genuine filter although I’m wondering if that’s a good thing reading your info re the non return valve?
Although the Viva is new to me I was fortunate enough to have worked on these back in the day being in the motor trade since the early Seventies and repairing this has been a meander down memory lane and thoroughly enjoyable.
Didalf
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to General Discussion