Resignation

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Postby kellyharding » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:36 pm

For me I've really enjoyed it when I've been to events with Paul and there has been some form of social interaction between members. This sadly to me has seemed to be fairly limited and only at shows. Seems a shame to me that more chance wasn't made by the club to do more social events, but alas it hasn't happened.

I'm not going to say anymore tho, as I don't want to cause trouble for Paul.

What will happen will happen, the future only knows where things will end up really I suspect.

We live in interesting times ;)

Kelly
kellyharding

Postby lambaj » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:59 am

Just posted the following txt on the Yahoo forum. Then I log in and find this post...........

"Sorry folks, I gotta chime in here too. Hopefully the words regarding the modified section were poorly put, and not an indication of the clubs feelings towards the modified cars or there owners. I think I can say with a fair degree of confidence that the people who are most active within the club (certainly on the forums) are those with modififed vivas or a healthy interest in them. Additionally I feel that the majority of helpful technical advise handed out comes from those members who have "been there and done that" at all levels through there viva ownership.

I have to agree with Jons comments. Leave the Max pants out, loose the bolt on fibreglass (no, not the HPF etc) and extinguish the neons. These don't work on our era of cars, but its the new thing, and what goes today for the youngsters will become the norm for "their" classics of the future. 20 years from now, a pumped up big wheeled loud colour flipping Corsa will be to them as significant as a fat arched wide tyred Blydenstein powered viva is to some of us.
Yes, we all love the perfectly preserved and restored classics - I own the oldest known HA and I will not be messing with it, but I also have the supercharged V6 black one where pretty much anything goes, or will be going shortly! Also in the fleet is an HA van awaiting restoration and "period" mods to make it a viable vehicle in todays driving environment. Interestingly I have to add to Jons words about the head turning effect a modified car can have. I have been asked so many times by young lads what my car is - they have never even heard of a Viva....... So in my opinion, anything that raised the profile of the much forgotten viva is a good thing and the club should be supporting it.

All the best
Tony (HA21)"

Right then. Now I am not privy to the personal gripes and growns of any given individual so I can't go on specifics. I have (like I suspect many) heard rumours, be them factual, bullshit, substanciated or not about Adrian and the way he runs the club. The thing that gets my goat about all this breakaway stuff is:
1) Its happed before already, Ref Viva Outlaws and Guy etc
2) People wait for Adrian to go on holiday before announcing to the world thay they are *Bleep* off so, conveniently avoiding any comeback for a month. Handy that eh!
3) The net result is that the pool of information/contacts gets diluted further, clubs get weaker and EVERYBODY looses in the long run.

I don't know where all this will end up. Basically I know Im F*^ked off with all this *Bleep*.
Questions to consider:
1) Does the club provide you (the indiviual) with what you want from it ?
If yes - what the problem. If no, do something about it by helping out, or leave - simple.
2) Before judging a club official (in any role), do you have any idea of the work involved in running a large club ? What would you be willing to give up to make it work ? How many members have actively helped organise an event, written a magazine article, even said thanks for a good show. The whole process can be thoroughly demoralising because its human nature to *Bleep* about something you don't like and to forget to mention the good stuff.
3) Adrians letter about his wish to resign from the club - Ok folks, who has considered, even for a moment, about taking it on ? 1% of us at best I would suggest. Not suprising really. Would you want to be in his shoes ?

Forget personal issues, circumstances, personality clashes. Answer question number one and act. Simple.

Think I'll buy a Mondeo.

Tony (HA21)
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

EEEEK

Postby pbottomley » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:58 pm

Blimey should I put my hand up and say I composed the words for the Modification area... well yes I did.

I chose them without advice from anyone else, and at the time I felt it was right to express it the way I did. Adrian has on a number of occasions stressed to me that the club should be for STANDARD cars and that the club should always view the viva from this stance, That doesn’t imply its for standard cars only!! What it means is that the club should encourage its owners to keep their cars as standard in the first instance. It doesn’t mean all people that modify cars away from standard are a disgrace, discredit and or sub-standard.

Adrian isn’t here at the minute to stand up and give a full account of this stance, and or belief, but I can say without doubt it is the views as expressed to me on a number of occasions.

Until Adrian returns all I can say is that I choose to start a discussion area (Modifications) so those members who wanted to chat Mods could and would know where to go when they wanted to read about Mods. There is no hidden agenda, remember I write the website, I set things up and I have written the topic credits, Not Adrian.

I guess if you all want to shoot him, maybe shoot me first,
:twisted:
pbottomley

Postby AUTOMAN » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:01 pm

It matters not if Adrian is on holiday at the moment, the oppinions of the members of the club should be considered at all times. I think that it would be a shame if the club is weakened, but a club must provide the service that it's members want and not be run only for the benifit of the few. Nobody would deny that Adrian has done much to help preserve the viva and to promote it's profile, but the question should be asked, Is this a club or a business? If it is a club then it's accounts and mission statement should be published and clarified. If it is a business, then the members should be told, there should not be a membership fee to by parts etc, as after all I don't need a card to walk into Halfords.

The prupose of the club must be stated and everybody would know where they stand and ultimately make their own choice.

I don't care personally about paying for the parts I need, as I would have to at any other outlet. I am sorry that things have gone this far, but we all have a right to know where and upon what our membership money is spent upon. The magazine, the cost of the show, or the running of the club are expences that are ligitimate, but accounts should be provided in the interests aff club officials as well as members. If there is a problem with paying somebody to run the club, then what is it? and why?

lets all take care to make the right decission but we need the whole picture first.

Ian.
AUTOMAN

Resignation

Postby Sid » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:22 pm

In that case can I repeat the request I've just made on the Yahoogroups forum and ask graciously,
on behalf of all modified Viva owning members here, that the offending sentence be removed from the
website.
I don't think that's an unreasonable request, is it?
After all, we all pay the same fee.

For those who haven't seen the text in question, its this line below:-
"Remember the Club is about preservation of the Viva range not modification!"

The sentence is unneccesary and could be percieved as descriminatory. Let's all stick together, not just for the sake of the club,
but for the whole future of classic car ownership in the face of government and environmentalist opposition to our pastime. The more
we fragment, the weaker we become.

Sid

----- Original Message -----
To: <general@vauxhallviva.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 11:58 AM
Subject: Resignation

>
> Blimey should I put my hand up and say I composed the words for the Modification area... well yes I did.
>

This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club
Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com
Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby kellyharding » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:04 pm

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?p=1&f=23&t=245424&h=0

That should keep you modification guys happy for a bit ;)

Kelly
kellyharding

Words changed

Postby pbottomley » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:57 pm

Words have changed

The sentence is unneccesary and could be percieved as descriminatory. Let's all stick together, not just for the sake of the club,
but for the whole future of classic car ownership in the face of government and environmentalist opposition to our pastime. The more
we fragment, the weaker we become.

Sid, Just how does that read, you imply discrimination? Nothing of the sort I actually created a section so people who modify had a voice and now you moan its not the right voice.

I am dammed if I do and dammed if I don’t!
pbottomley

Resignation

Postby Sid » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:34 pm

> Words have changed

Thanks Paul, that's great. Much appreciated, I'm sure others will agree.

If I was being a picky proof-reader I'd point out that the plural of Viva is Vivas, not Viva's, aaahhh don't bite my head off! ;-)

> Sid, you imply discrimination? .... I actually created a section
> so people who modify had a voice and now you moan its not the right voice.

History tends not to smile on those who create "sections" for minority groups ;-) <joke!!>

We *were* quite happy to post in the "general" section. However, my qualm wasn't with the creation of the mods section but with the
disapproving *discription* associated with it, and perhaps the "thou shalt not speak of these things anywhere else!" email that you
sent following its initial creation (yes, I know those weren't quite your exact words, but you know I'm a joker by now!).

Anyway, you've removed the offending description, so I for one am now sufficiently happy.
Thanks again. Your ongoing efforts *are* much appreciated, though you might not always think so :-)

Didn't someone once say, "Criticism is the most sincere form of flattery."

Sid
Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Edd_V6 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:50 pm

1) Its happed before already, Ref Viva Outlaws and Guy etc

Don't blame the Outlaws were quite happy out in the big modified car world by ourselves.

As you say if your not happy then leave which is what Deon and Carl have done. So why all the Fuss. Good luck to them and if enough people leave and join them then there won't be enough members left to pay someones wages so he will have to jack it in and get a job just like everone else.

You should also remember without people modifying Vivas you would never know what else would fit and keep the old cars on the road.
Did you know a MK2 VW Golf rear Wheel bearing is the same as a Viva front.

Edd
Edd_V6
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby lambaj » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm

Do you what. I was gonna reply to Edds comments, but I can't be bothered anymore. Not a direct attack on Edd, thats pointless, just had enough of all this bo11ocks. People, do what you want, its a free (ish) world.
Excuse the strong language. See you about on the forums when people want to get back to the cars.

TTFN
Tony :D
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion