So why do we drive Viva`s

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Postby Pork Pie » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:50 pm

Come on lets hear all your excuses, reasons, problems and addictions to why we the humble public love these sexy machines.

Mines simple, i couldnt afford to run anything else with the same style. Tape, laggy bands and shoelaces can usually get you home.
Pork Pie

Postby AUTOMAN » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:02 pm

Because of my eyesight problems, I have to have any driver insurance. Classic insurance is so much cheeper for me. My old cars that were modern used to cost me arround £1200.00 to insure for any driver for a year. Also the insurance companies computers were only programmed to accept information based on the owner being the driver, which in my case was not true. The only way arround this was to register my car to somebody who could drive, which is not legal. I loved old cars and started to buy and sell them to earn money and also because you could offer a car for sale with 12 months t&& as the road tax was free. This would interest young drivers who just wanted a car that they would not get stopped by the police in all the time. Also older drivers who were motoring on a budget love the cheap cost of running such a car and the simple machanics of them, as they are able to do most jobs themselves, without the need to pay expensive garage bills only to have a computer tell them what is wrong. Wa all also have a favourite car from our past, so we useually choose one that we either liked or that had memories of.
AUTOMAN

Postby MattHC1600SL » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:29 pm

Why do I love my 71 HC? The styling, the in-your-face gold colour, the fact that people openly stare at in in a traffic queue. Also I can fix it, whatever goes wrong. And no computers. Matt HC425

This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club
Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com
MattHC1600SL
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Geeza » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:38 pm

For me it all goes back to riding bikes all year round being to cold and wet :( So I went on the look out for a cheap car to use in the winter for work and keep the bikes for summer.I just happened to come across a Viva at the right price at the right time.
It was so reliable and easy to keep going that I fell in love and have had quite a few since then :)
Now I don't ride anymore,the fact that the roads are far too crowded,too many speed cameras and that I have a young family to worry about means that I have come back to viva's and I am really enjoying them all over agian :D
Geeza
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby flod » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:10 pm

That buz of getting up at 5 oclock in the morning checking everything is
packed for the weekend ahead getting into your car praying that it will
start turning the key listen to it fire up (eventually) pull out onto the
open road wind the window down put Buddy Holly on the cassette then cruise
on down to whichever show (but not forgetting to pray every 15 mins that you
will make it.
Then have a beer and a chat to people who haven't got their hand stuck
up their *Bleep* (you know the ones them that afford a respray every couple of
years ) and just chill out and enjoy and those that know me suffer in the
morning, not long show season is almost upon us.
See you their. which ever club you are in don't forget to have fun and
forget the politics
flod

Postby Clara » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:20 pm

It was a 15th birthday present.
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby hbpeter » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:36 pm

I was given a HB when I was 16 by a cousin, they have a lot to answer for!!
Peter
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby doss » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:43 pm

Memories of a Baby Blue 4 door gls with a 2.3 fitted - weller 8 spokes ( black) and quarter bumpers aaaaaaahhhhh
doss
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:40 am

Because it was cheaper than a morris minor, only bought it because i needed a cheap car to run. Sorry its not a story of youth and romance 8)
pbottomley

Why I drive a Viva

Postby dann01 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:07 pm

Why do I own/drive a Viva?

1 – My first car was a Viva, and I am trying desperately to recapture a misspent youth. At least that’s what the wife says.

2 – It/they are cheep to run and insure. Well, my 1256 sl and gls are.

3 - If I break down, there is at least a 90% chance I can do a roadside fix, which are better odds than with any modern motor.

4 – Love it or hate it, people over a certain age have memories of the Viva, and know what one looks like. Which is more than the pock faced teenager at Halfords knows.

5 – It’s fun to hack around in. Kids point, mums and dads give a wave. Chavs and hoodies frown in wonder.
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Next

Return to General Discussion