Constitution found

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Constitution found

Postby pbottomley » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:35 pm

After many attempts to find a copy of the "constitution" I have finally obtained one ... I am very supprised that after asking for a copy from the club , none were found!!! Here it is for all those that want to read it. I have a better scan of it, but its way to large to post here, so a typed out version is shown and a smaller scan of the original attached as an image.

CONSTITUTION AND CLUB RULES

1.INFORMATION AND AIMS

1.1 The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, hereinafter known as the VOC, exists to Co ordinate information and activities between its members and outside organisations and companies.

1.2 The alms of the VOC are to generate and support social motoring events for the benefit and enjoyment of its members". We aim to preserve and encourage others to preserve the Viva range of cars for future generations.

1.3 The VOC is a non-proof reeking organisation, it is not a company business and is run by volunteers.

2.MEMBERSHIP AND FEES

2.1 The VOC is open to all owners of the Viva range and enthusiasts by annual subscription as defined in the membership form.

2.2 The subscription money is used to defray expenses incurred.

2.3 Membership payable is not. Subject to the amount of netted cars but on the basis of a persons making use of the Club's benefits.

3.MEETINGS AND APPOINTMENT OF CLUB OFFICERS

3.1 Club meetings shall be carried out at regular intervals as chosen by the secretary and committee. Members are welcome to suggest venues or forward ideas concerning shows and meetings for consideration.

3.2 Club officers are appointed on a voluntary basis and their ability to perform their tasks is ensured before appointment.

4.NEWSLETTERS

4.1 The newsletter will be sent out to each paid-up member, Members whose subscription is due but unpaid by 31si April shall not receive any more copies of the newsletter until their subscription is paid up.

4.2 The Club Cannot accept responsibility for any wrong information or inaccuracy in the sales pages.

5.INSURANCE

5.1 All cars used do Club rallies MUST be road legal and properly Insured when used on Club events. Failure to comply will mean exclusion from the event and possibly from the Club membership.

5.2 The Club shall insure itself against third party claims. The policy shall be payable from Club funds.

5.2 The VOC and its officers therefore accept no liability or responsibility whatsoever in respect of any claim or potential claim from any incident or occurrence howsoever caused of which it is present or represented.

6.AWARDS AND TROPHIES.

6.1 Only Club members are eligible for its trophies or awards.

6.2 Any trophies rewarded on a 'judged' basis are not open to question and the judges' decisions are final.

6.3 The three annual Club trophies for the three models of Viva (HA, HB and NC) are the sole property of the VOC and the winners are required to care for the trophies and ensure that they are returned for presentation the following year. Any loss or damage costs are to be paid by the member in possession of the trophy.

7.DISTRIBUTION

7.1Each. member and subsequent member shall: receive a copy of the Constitution.

7.2 A master copy shall be kept on permanent file.

7.3 A copy of the original shall be deposited with the bank.

7.4 The secretary and committee reserve the right to amend or add further clauses to the Constitution ii the need arises.

8.MEMBERS CONDUCT

8.1 All members must behave in a manner not likely to disrupt a Club event or to place the good name of the VOC into question.

8.2 No non-member is allowed to use the benefits of the Club nor attend Club events unless that person is there to join the club on the day.

8.3 Members should not allow a non-rnernber to use the Club benefits via himself.

8.4 The officers of the Club will be able to determine if a Club member has broken the rules of the VOC and decide on whether the member can remain in the Club.

pbottomley

Postby Clara » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:53 pm

Thank you!
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby AUTOMAN » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:01 pm

Well done Paul, that makes things clear for everyone.
AUTOMAN

Sorry Paul.

Postby AUTOMAN » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:05 pm

Hello Paul,

Sorry for not telephoneing you last night as arranged, but things at home are a bit hectic at the moment as you know.

I will try to contact you again soon, but as things stand, I can not give you a definate time. I will contact you again by e-mail when things calm down a bit, or when my wife comes out of hospital to arrange another time. I know that you are only trying to help me and I do appreciate your patients regarding this matter.

Thank you for your kindness,

Ian
AUTOMAN.
AUTOMAN

Constitution found

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:34 pm

Having read the "constitution" it says nothing about:
1 What constitutes the basic elements of the Committee.
i.e. Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer, Area Representatives etc.

2 Calling of AGMs and what minimum agenda should be followed.

3 Preparation and auditing of accounts to be presented at AGM

The constitution does say:

> 3.MEETINGS AND APPOINTMENT OF CLUB OFFICERS
>
> 3.1 Club meetings shall be carried out at regular intervals as chosen by
> the secretary and committee. Members are welcome to suggest venues or
> forward ideas concerning shows and meetings for consideration.
>3.2 Club officers are appointed on a voluntary basis and their ability to
perform their tasks is ensured before appointment

This lacks clarity as to who agrees the appointment and assesses their
capability.

With the demise that the VOC is currently in- (correct me if I am wrong, its
only Adrian that has not resigned and he's expressed his intention to do
so?) - there appears nothing in the constitution which provides guidance on
the proposal and election of new officers for the committee other than
extract 3 above.
There is a need therefore to define the required "officer content" of the
committee.
Normally proposed applicants (seconded by another member) are invited for
each vacant post.
Now this is where the new Forum could be used. Paul could post an agreed
list of committee vacancies with an application form for submission of those
wishing to be proposed (with seconders). These could be presented at an AGM
for approval of officers by the membership present. Alternatively or
additionally, as the membership is so diverse, proxy votes could be cast on
the Forum.
It maybe considered necessary to initially elect the 3 basic committee
officers first (Chairman, Secretary, and Treasurer) with the power to co-opt
other members to help sort out the constitution and a proposed committee
structure.
Once the committee structure is agreed and accepted by the membership
further elections could be held on the Forum to fill the other committee
vacancies.

Just a few thoughts - comments please!

Fred
HC56

>

This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club
Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby pbottomley » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:36 pm

Interesting points Fred, and had all club members been members of the forum, then I would of proposed that myself, However we only have 97 members and most of those are NOT paid members of the club on this forum. The club Boasts 600+ members so only a very small % is represented here. Therefore I think it would make it impossible to use the forum to be a fair way of doing things. The only way it can be done is to get Adrian to compose a letter with an agenda and for him to mail it to the masses of the club membership.

If that’s the case then we need to help with the contents of that: E.G as you say what format the committee takes, and what skills are needed for each position plus the nomination parts.

I did also say in another thread that maybe the VBOA could help in guidance with how to conduct an AGM, and (forgive me if I am wrong here in detail) they could chair the meeting, that would ultimately come from nominations.

All said and done, I think the club has access to a great bunch of viva owners who are passionate, and willing to help, but the distances between us all, and the logistics of communication with the club (9-5 Monday to Friday only) prevent the speeding up of this process.

I think Adrian you need to pop in at this point and share with the forum, the general concept of the committee, more than eluded to in the letter sent out to members. I am sure that we can help in the short term to carry the club from your hands to a new committee that adds to viva ownership in all its rich varieties.

I know for example Clara has volunteered to help and has been asked to look at regalia, Mr Hammond I know you are interested in membership (as was I).

But unless we get some feedback from Adrian, we are all shooting in the dark again as to what the problem is, where we can help and or what we can give to the club?
pbottomley

Postby AUTOMAN » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

While I may agree with a lot of the points raised during this thread, I do feel the the wording "DEMISE" of the VOC is too strong.

We need to remember that Whatever has happened regarding the past polotics of the club are just that, "PAST".

I think that we on the forum are agreed that a change must occur, but as we are in no way a majority of the club's membership, nobody knows what the true feeling of the club membership is.

I wish to re-introduce the point that nobody except Adrian knows who all the members are, how many there are and where they all are.

To organise such a committee to run the club, we need to fully understand what is involved, before all jumping in without a fuller understanding.

It would be my suggestion that Adrian appoint a tempary committee to oversee the transition of the club from one man to the committee stage, as he is the only person with the knowledge needed to make this happen smoothely.

Allong with all the other things that Adrian does, I think that it would be wise of us as a club, to use his experiences to help the club go forward so that people gain the skills required to undertake this job properly, rather than rushing into something not fully knowing what we are doing.

Regional reps would be able to consult the clubs membeship in thair area and hold local meetings to find out the feelings and veiwpoint of every member. Then these reps could get together at a committee stage to voice the membership's concerns and wishes.

Then when this is sorted out, we would be able to move on to the stage of an elected committee, as we should have ensured the smooth transition of the club from Adrian.

Please please please, lets do it slowely and properly. Lets prepare the groundwork first, before building hopefully a bigger, better, stronger Club.

Ian
AUTOMAN.
AUTOMAN

Constitution found

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:48 am

Take your point Paul, one tends to forget that the Forum does not cover the
majority of members. It's a shame more people dont join as it is such a
marvelous way of making distance transparent when discussing thinks.
If there is a new magazine due to go out would that be a good vehicle for
Adrian to send out a flyer outlining what posts are vacant for a replacement
committee (with outline job description?) and an application form for
proposed nominations. That would save some extra work and postage of sending
these out separately.
It would be worth at least talking to VBOA to get their advice and pointers
to reforming the committee.
Again, as you say, purhaps Adrian would like to share his thoughts with us
on the way forward. I agree with AUTOMAN that the club needs Adrian to help
bridge the transitional stage of transfering control to an elected (by the
membership) committee.
Below is a link to a specimin Constitution and covers a typical AGM Agenda
http://www.croquet.org.uk/home/forms/specconst.rtf

This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club
Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby pbottomley » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:30 am

Just on side issue here, If people are replying to posts, there is no need to include all of the old message, it makes the forum messy, and its a waste of your bandwitdh and mine the re-post a previously posted message.

If there is need to include parts of the old messgae thats 100% fine :D

:D :D :D :D
pbottomley

Constitution found

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:43 am

Further to my input on "The Constitution" the link below accesses a copy of
the
Constitution of the Triumph Sports Six Club - Nottinghamshire Area

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andy.stant ... tution.doc

Fred
HC56

>