Car Club future

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Car Club future

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:35 pm

I have just read an article in the CCW which talks about the changing car club scene.
To quote:
The winds of change are starting to blow through clubland and the pressures to move away from the traditional " noggin and natter" builds up as more and more people turn to the internet for community aspects of classic car ownership.
One club chairman told us "Apathy is afflicting the UK classic car scene - our club has over 90 members ,and yet we never see them at events.
I have tried booking us in at local shows but to no avail and have lost the will to continue and have already written out a blueprint for the future which involves the club becoming internet based offering free membershipand the end of the paper magazine. I think this is the way forward but I suspect most members will find it beyond the pale"

"Many of the bigger clubs are now setting up member-only forums on their websites and our club chairman reckons this is definately the way to go"
"The whole purpose of the club meetings was to act as a forum in which like-minded people can discuss their cars.
Now with the internet you can ask a question in the evening and by morning someone in Australia will have answered it."

I accept what is said to some extent having sampled the marvelous facility Paul has provided us with but there is no substitute for a meet up with people face to face to swap tails and have a laugh.
Anyway interesting article coincidentally after the discussion with Sid and co over free membership clubs etc.
I suppose it ok if you only want to have a ciber club and are not interested in driving out and meeting people. It makes you wonder if people are becoming more and more insular.
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby pbottomley » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:53 pm

Yes say the same articles, and the announcement by one club in Classics Monthly that it was dropping its whole club set up and moving to a Cyber based presence only, I think, that’s a last ditch attempt at trying to stay afloat as a club? I for one think the whole Internet thing is a double sword; It gives voice to those on line

Now with the internet you can ask a question in the evening and by morning someone in Australia will have answered it.

And at the same time washes away some people desires to meet up, as they get what they wanted from the website.

The club website has grown a bit (to say the least) and maybe it’s a victim of its own success? On an average day we have around 200 visitors, far more than any Billing (well maybe one Billing was more??).

Small item to remember, the VBOA doesn’t allow web site only based clubs.

Websites don’t drink beer with you

Websites don’t pass the spanner nor point fingers at your car and laugh

Websites don’t make those unique Billing Burgers, you know the ones, Charcoal on the outside Raw meat in the middle.
pbottomley

Postby shamm » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:10 pm

And if you don't go to Billing, Fred, then how will I buy your cars from you :D
Steve Hammond

Two 2.3 Viva's, one 2.3 Viva Estate, one 2.3 Magnum estate, half share in a 1.6 Viva auto, and no time (HC183)
shamm
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Car Club future

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:19 pm

You cant enjoy a leisurely drive (or a good old fashioned thrash!!) to the
website in your favourite Viva either!
Hope to see some of you at Ellesmere Port on Sunday flying the Viva flag.
OK so it's Mothers Day and the clockes go forward - we can cope with
that!
Get her up early, put her in the Viva and take her out for the day - show
her you really care!!!
Fred

This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club
Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby pbottomley » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:31 pm

Somehow I think my Mum who is in her 80's isnt going to take kindly to being woken up at the crack of dawn -1 and driven from kettering to Ellsmeer Port!!! No matter how much I say it all for her love :lol:

I would of thought a better mothers day pressy would be to give all your mums a viva? remind them of days gone by, they can then romance about rock and roll, the war (oh no i mentioned it once) strikes, labour power, good old rates (none of this poll tax) and then going on about "youth of today"...... :roll: :roll:

Hang on I do that already! *Bleep* I have become a TOG

:lol:
pbottomley

Car Club future

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:16 pm

OK Paul, you stay at home and get the Barbi out and cook her one of those
"nice" Billings burgers!
NO Steve I am NOT ready to sell my 1800 Estate!! If you want to buy
something there is an 1800 auto 72 Firenza in this weeks CCW - only £600 and
full MoT to end of APRIL 06 Hee Hee

This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club
Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com