MPG, what do you get?

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

MPG, what do you get?

Postby Pork Pie » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:22 am

With all these petrol prices going up, i was just wondering who`s getting what sort of mpg from their beloved steed?
At the moment my best is 78 miles to a tenner`s worth of liquid gold in my 1256, that`s with roof rack fitted and carrying ladders, i know it makes a slight difference but its on for work not show The least has been 62 miles to a tenner.
I`d love to know what you 2.3 boys get.
Pork Pie

Re - MPG

Postby doss » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:43 am

Well what can I say! other than my HPF has been absolutley amazing on fuel. Its been from Aberdeen to Fort William and been all round the local roads over the last two or three months doing untold amount of miles. HAS NOT USED A DROP OF FUEL. :P :lol: :D :) :o :lol: SUPERB MACHINE!!!

HC436
doss
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby AUTOMAN » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:02 pm

Hi Paul,

I'm getting arround 95 miles for £10. I know that this sounds unbelievable, as the car is a 1256 the same as yours, but I am using good quality plugs which cost me an arm and a leg, and they have a cross shape electrode, which means that the spark is a lot stronger. The Ht leads are also of a good quality, which conduct the electricity a lot better, also allowing for a stronger spark. I replaced the coil for a new one and also had the carb tuned. I replaced the points, oil, oil filter etc as soon as I got the car. I cleaned all the fuel lines and pump streight away and finally I add a little more LRP than is reccommended and still use redx even though there is a cleaning agent in the LRP.

Believe it or not, spending a little more money on the basics makes a huge difference and also pays you back over and over in the long run. I know that there are other things that I could now do to the car to increase the performance, but I have gained extra power and fuel ecconemy just for doing what I have done. The people who drive my car for me tell me that it is a lovely smooth drive for it's age and they also seem to change their driving habbits because they know how much time and effort I put into my cars. I also tell them that the car is irre-placable.

Hope this helps.

Ian
AUTOMAN.
AUTOMAN

Postby pbottomley » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:31 pm

well my Brown HC (soon to be 2.3) has doen 100's of miles since i bought it and i have put less than £25 of fuel in since i bought it.

Bit like DOSS its spent more time on trailers than on the road LOL

My Red HC however does drink fuel, its used for short 5 miles rides only and doesnt ever get above 30 mph.

on a long run it has give high 30mpg. thats fine by me...

:D :D
pbottomley

Postby doss » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:41 pm

Well for my HC 1256 to be honest around town I never pay much attention. It doesnt use enough to alarm me thats all I know. So it cant be that bad and I do know its does more than my Laguna. On the open road though it must be doing 30 + mpg I believe.

HC436
doss
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby shamm » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:14 pm

My daily driver 2.3 is around 23-25mpg if driven calmly.

Don't ask what it drop to when you boot it, scary, scary number.
Steve Hammond

Two 2.3 Viva's, one 2.3 Viva Estate, one 2.3 Magnum estate, half share in a 1.6 Viva auto, and no time (HC183)
shamm
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Clara » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:06 pm

I've only had to fill my car up three times this year. :lol:

Will get it running soon honest! :cry:
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lambaj » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:24 pm

Ummm,
Not a subject I like to think about.....

The Black HA one gets about 20-24mpg on a run, and about 8mpg if I use it. Ouch!
The white HA gets about 38mpg, which is not to bad for a 43 year old....
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

MPG, what do you get?

Postby MattHC1600SL » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:26 pm

My 1971 Viva 1600 does about 35mpg on a run, a bit less round town. Its standard apart from Lumention electronic ignition, which I think helps a lot. Matt.

This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club
Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com
MattHC1600SL
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby dann01 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:07 am

Mine too has lumenition gear, and this adds miles per gallon I have found. She is a 71 HC 1256 and is my daily drive. She does about 32 to 35 to the gallon, but most of my milage motorway.

It has to be said that keeping the 1256 in tune is the key.

Regards
Danny
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Next

Return to General Discussion