New style MOT

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

New style MOT

Postby edgoose1 » Wed May 10, 2006 7:12 pm

Well the dreaded mot was today again which is always a worry. I actually did the pre mot checks myself silly things like the windscreen washer being blocked as i never use them only at the mot and bad earths on the indicators that needed sorting. Anyway when i got to the garage the guy came to me after about 5 minutes to ask if i had the log book. The car did not show up on system even though i had the current mot certificate. So i had to rush home to get the log book. So anyone taking there car for there first new mot certificate might want to take this as well. Jsut in case. :lol: Anyway the Firenza passed first time which is a great relief at £44 a test.
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Thu May 11, 2006 12:22 pm

I also went to the trouble of checking it all out a bit more thoroughly than I used to - stuff like the back brakes that always fail, and I had a problem with the earth to one of my indicators. Strange, the latter, because the sidelight worked fine, it's earthed through the light unit body, and I have a good earth wire as the whole lot is mounted on fibreglass. Still, it passed without any trouble so that was a relief. Didn't have any trouble with the log book, though.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Bad earth

Postby edgoose1 » Thu May 11, 2006 7:22 pm

The front indicators on mine does not have a good earth from the unit to the body as i have a front fiberglass spoiler. The easiest way is to wrap a wire round the back of the indicator bulb holder push the rubber cover back over the wire and run it to the inside of the bumber bracket bolt.
works every time.
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Fri May 12, 2006 11:10 am

I picked up some Chevette-style plastic sidelamp / indicator housings which have a separate earth, when I get chance I'll put them on but I ended up with an extra wire as you said.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to General Discussion