MOT time

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

MOT time

Postby doss » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:21 am

My HC had its first Mot today since I bought it almost a year ago. Passed no probs with no recomendations either :lol:. The Mot guy loved the car, I was there for nearly an hour and a half. :lol: :lol:
doss
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Pork Pie » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:55 pm

told you it was a good`un. It passed first time when i put it in, so it`s doing well
Pork Pie

Postby MattHC1600SL » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:09 pm

My 1971 HC also went in for its MOT today, it passed without a hitch and I was there ages talking Vivas! Coincidence! New regulations are daft though - there is a set 40 minute time for an MOT now, whether the car is old or brand new. My MOT took 20 minutes, no emmision test, abs check or any of the other stuff that modern motors need, but we had to stand around for another 20 minutes before the computer would accept that the MOT had been done properly. Not that I mind, my MOT tester is a nice bloke but its strange that he has to waste his valuable time standing around. Progress??? Anyway, how about a list of "old car friendly" MOT stations for the benefit of other members? My nomination in Norwich is Nigel Farrow Cars, Harvey Lane, Norwich. Ive been going there for ages and they are very fair and treat your car with respect. Matt.
Vauxhall Viva HC 1600 OHC SL TDL 533J
Honey Starmist / Black Vinyl Roof
MattHC1600SL
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbpeter » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:46 pm

Bank Top Garage in Billingham Cleveland. Guy who runs it used to have 6 HA Vans and a HA saloon, but hes now got Rover P4's. Its like a time warp inside.
Peter
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby Tigran » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:56 pm

*breaks down into tears*

Mine has to go in for MOT ASAP - not looking forward to it - anyone have some checks that I can go through. Obviously check structural metal has not rusted away, lights and electronics, brake lines - anything else?

Nowt I can do about the emissions apart from get the timing checked - so no point worrying about that.
Slippin, Slidin, Glidin, Lowridin'

1964 Rover P5 i6
1976 Vauxhall Viva Coupe - The Judge - DET baby!
1988 BMW 525e - The Rusty Streak

Have a look at GS Autoworks Facebook page, it's more amazing than levitation!
Tigran
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Pork Pie » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:04 pm

rusty metal needs tape over it, they failed my carlton for having a 10 pence size rust bubble on the bottom of the rivers door
Pork Pie

Postby Tigran » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:05 pm

Even surface rust?!

1964 Rover P5 i6

Tigran
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Pork Pie » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:07 pm

yep jagged edges fail at the MoT man`s descretion (bastards)
Pork Pie

Postby Tigran » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:09 pm

*thanks jeebus for being friendly with the MOT brigade round here*

When you say jagged edges I can understand holes and so on - but even bubbling?

1964 Rover P5 i6

Tigran
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Pork Pie » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:13 pm

i think he just wanted to fail it anyway, but yes they can fail it on rust bubbles. If they say they are sharp, he proded it and the first layer of paint fell of and so failed it saying it was too sharp
Pork Pie

Next

Return to General Discussion