SORN

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

SORN

Postby mazzo » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:33 pm

I'm jumping the gun a bit as I'm not ready to go for MOT yet, but I was thinking about this and was a bit unsure.

My car is insured but it is SORNed. It has no MOT so I know I have to pre-book my test to remain legal when driving to the test centre, but what about SORN?

The agreement says your car is off the road and you won't use it on the highway - so do you inform DVLA you're going to an MOT or is it covered.

Reason I ask is that we have number plate recognition around here and I don't want to find myself falling foul of anything.

Advice please :?
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:50 am

As I understand it, the only way off SORN is to either scrap or permanently export the vehicle, or to tax it. Mine is also on SORN when it goes for an MOT test and I've never worried about it, but then we don't have ANPR around here and the MOT station is only about 400 yards from where I keep the car. I've had a look on the DVLA web site and it doesn't really talk about it - if I were you, to be 100% sure, I'd ring the local vehicle licensing office (or the DVLA if you like hold music) and ask them.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby xwv2300 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:36 am

Ive talked to the police about this before, as long as a car is insured and is booked into a mot centre it is legal to use.
you can`t tax a car with out an mot so it remains sorn until taxed.
if your reg number gets taken, if your going to a booked mot your ok.
xwv2300
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby mazzo » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:54 pm

Thanks chaps.

I hope in the next two weeks to be making the trip, so it's good to know that I'm keeping legal.

Maz
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby griffonmark » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:35 pm

I vaguely remember there are some rules about booking an MOT for a vehicle that is unlicensed. I cant remember exactly what they are but I think there is a time limit and distance limit. Obviously, you have to drive straight there and back. I'm not too sure about roadworthiness either, if you had a bald tyre you would be done MOT or not, so make sure everything works and is safe. You can check on the MOT website but it is a long time since I last did so. Check it out just to make sure.

Regards

Mark
griffonmark
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to General Discussion