Modern cars

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Modern cars

Postby Clara » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:29 pm

I have to give up one of the vivas in replacement for a *ahem* "modern" car you know the sorts - power steering, seat belts, hand controls, comfortable seats, ability to pull away from the traffic lights faster than the push bike beside you.

Any suggestions on what might be fun? Money is tighter than an eskimos scrotum but hey there's got to be something out there right?
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby mazzo » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:42 pm

It depends on what you need. I bought a Matiz which I thought would be a real load of poo, but it turns out to be quite fun. It won't set the world on fire with acceleration, but will with fuel economy. About 40 MPG round town and better on long runs. Only an 800cc engine (they do a 1 litre too) but has power steering, electric windows and air con!

Thing is really roomy inside, can park in the tiniest spaces and is comfortable. About £1000 will get you an early one and £2000 abouta 5 or 6 year old one. Only group 1 insurance (some companies do it as group 2 for some reason)

Good fun car - but not a performer.
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Modern cars

Postby MattHC1600SL » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:44 pm

Get a Skoda Felicia. Seriously, you can get them for peanuts, they are nice to drive, all the late ones (R reg on) have Power Steering and ABS, plus the 1300 ones have a pushrod engine - no cambelt to worry about and you can work on them easily. Matt.
Vauxhall Viva HC 1600 OHC SL TDL 533J
Honey Starmist / Black Vinyl Roof
MattHC1600SL
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby AUTOMAN » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:03 pm

You say money is tight, but how tight, I could call a friend of mine who just did us a great deal on a Vauxhall. He would be willing to do the same again. If you like them, I would suggest a Corsa. Paul b is not a fan, but everyone I know that has one loves theirs. You have my number, so give me a call.

Ian.
AUTOMAN.
AUTOMAN

Postby Clara » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:55 pm

AUTOMAN wrote:You say money is tight, but how tight, I could call a friend of mine who just did us a great deal on a Vauxhall.
Ian.
AUTOMAN.

Tight enough to that a new car is not an option. :lol: Alas I'm in the second hand market. But thanks anyway!
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Clara » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:04 pm

mazzo wrote:It depends on what you need.

Something reliable and cheap to run - especially on long jaunts up and down the motorway (something my HA is very fond of - if only for all the people coming up to her at service stations and thanking us for "making their day). The insurance will have to be low as I'm only 21 and my boyfriend has only had a car licence for a year (even though he's an old fart). Power steering is a must as is abs. It's not something I'm going to work on so the servicing department is going to have to be simple (especially because if I take it in for service at any of the local gararges they will have a fit when they see that there are hand pedals for the brake and clutch).

I'm not looking for anything sporty I just need it to go and be comfortable but at the same time anyone suggest a family type car and I'll have to throw a wet sock at you :P

Lots of leg room is rather important as I guess is the ability to throw a wheelchair in the boot (unless any of you can fit an engine to the wheelchair and save all this hassle!).
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby mazzo » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:12 pm

Boot is good but not big enough for a wheelchair. Leg room is very good, headroom is amazing. Thing is like a tardis. Some models do have ABS.

Best of luck!
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby AUTOMAN » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:18 pm

Clara Call me anyway, as the car does not have to be new like my wife's, but I will need some sort of idea regarding cash, as I can't suggest what may be good untill I know what you have to spend. An astra or something similar may suit you, but what if we could convert a Beagle then you get to keep on going in a ha.

Ian
AUTOMAN.
AUTOMAN

Postby hbpeter » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:36 pm

The skodas arnt a bad idea. Can get them very cheaply, they are reliable, an estate version of the Felicia is more than big enough for a wheelchair. Servicing can be done anywhere. The fact that I ran skodas for 5 years and am a member of the local club has not influenced my comments in any way!! :lol:
Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby griffonmark » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:02 pm

Hi Clara, May be out of your price range but early ones are now getting cheap - a Mercedes A class is a superb car. Due to the unique low engine and sandwich floor construction the A class is about the same length as a Ford Ka but has the interior space of an estate. The back seats lift out independently and turn the car into a van with loads of storage and a totally flat floor. The 1.4 is fast enough and very economical. They all have ABS and stability control. All but the basic have aircon. Some were longwheelbase giving an extra 30cm in the back. Some had the option of a removable front passenger seat. I had one for 30,000 miles but had to get rid because the seats were not supportive enough for my daily 200 mile run. Also servicing costs were too high for the high mileage user and I fell out with my local dealer. One day I'll get another, but my LPG Audi is too cheap to run to justify getting rid.
griffonmark
GT Viva
GT Viva

Next

Return to General Discussion