I Live in the past... Sometimes

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Postby dann01 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:33 am

Recently, the topic of the old public information films was skipped upon. The green cross code man, and Jimmy Saville, public domain icons both, and there are some within our ranks that may drive cars from the past, but know little of the period from whence they came.

Our Vivas come from a time when not everyone had a mobile phone, and those that were around weighed a ton and were carried in a shoulder bag and had telescopic ariels a mile high.

The Viva is from a time when telephone numbers where just six figures, including the std code. And phone boxes were red, and hardly ever got vandalised.
(Cue Land of hope and glory)
From a time when blue rince was in fashion, and men could have perms without being laughed at, and leather trousers were cool. We had Kenny Everet and Hot Gossip. Chris Tarrent and Sally James (Oh the boots) and Saturday night at the paladium. We had Benny Hill (lets see someone get away with the kind of stuff he used to these days) We Had the professionals and the Avengers and Lost in space and Time tunnel and the tomorrow people, and a TV remote was a stick beside your chair. We had teachers that were not afraid to take you in their arms and hold you to their ample bussom if you were upset at primary school. (Perhaps thats too much)

Our Vivas come from a time when I had hair, and could squeeze the odd zit or two.... (Screech... Lets back up a bit)

I think that those of us that remember these things, niegh, revere the old days, should take it upon ourselves to educate those that are too young to remember the age from which the cars they drive come from. For my own part, if there were such a thing as a time tunnel, I'd be one of the first to drive through it. Lets go back... lets go home, that's what I say.

And for those of you waiting for a point behind this post... you will have a long wait. Rant over. My apologies to any younger members, or other life forms that were offended by this post.

I am an old fool, and proud of it.
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Re: I Live in the past... Sometimes

Postby Clara » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:23 am

dann01 wrote:and those that were around weighed a ton... phone boxes were red, and hardly ever got vandalised....

Hang on, that's my home village down to a t!
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby AUTOMAN » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:57 pm

There is a place in the lake district somewhere that you can drive through that time tunnel. I am going to go through it next year on my holiday.

I have not booked yet and will post the details later. It is a caravan park, dedicated to the '70's. All the caravan's are restored ones from that period. The club house is deccorated of that era and the types of food on sale, sweets and such like are all of that period. The shops are fitted out in the same fashion and people can even wear tank-tops and flairs. Wide coller shirts for the boys and cheese-cloth tops for the girls. Shawaddy-waddy and Mungo Jerry playing allong with the three degrees.

This would make an excelent excuse for a break or club meet. I think that this should happen as the Viva in that sort of environment is the place where we should be taking photos and reliving our memories. It is also a great way to show our younger members how we lived and it would help them understand the time of the viva.

Shall we do it?

Ian Automan.
AUTOMAN

Postby hbpeter » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:57 pm

Dont worry Dan, your not the only one who feels like that. An apprentice at work was amazed I had only had a mobile for 4 years and hardly used it, he couldnt understand how I managed with out it!! Several of the other fitters are the same age as me, we often have conversations about the past, tv programmes etc, its funny to see their faces as they have no clue what we are talking about. Did you know that uk tv gold are making a new 6 part series of Jim will fix it, complete with jimmy saville, and there is going to be a one off 2hr special of Swapshop, with all the people who used to be on it, including Poshpaws!
That 70's caravan park sounds fantastic thats a must for a viva outing. Where is it? Maybe its rose tinted glasses but I wish we could go back to simpler times, or maybe they just seemed simpler?? With out todays PC mob, and mad muslims(no offence), I carnt understand why if someone dosent like someone they carnt just ignore them and carry on with their lives, or am I being to nieve?
Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby dann01 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:59 pm

Send me the details, I don't just wanna visit... I wanna live there.

It sounds good to me, it may even be an incentive for me to get off my bum and get the GLS fnished. It's only been nearly three years since I started it.
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby Sid » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:46 pm

For my own part, if there were such a thing as a time tunnel, I'd be one
of the first to drive through it.

Yeah, I'd be close behind you. I don't "get" todays world anymore.
Sure, I've got a mobile phone, they're useful in emergencies, but I've only
used 30 quid credit in 5 years!
I've got a TV with 800 channels, yet there's less worth watching than there
was when we had only 3.
I work as a computer programmer, but I can't see the point of half the code
I write. Why are we now so dependant on these things anyway?
When I drive a modern car and it splutters on a cold morning my heart skips
a beat at the thought of a possible ECU problem or something else I might
not be able to fix.
Don't even get me started on the problems of modern society. I think humans
are "devolving" as the weakest links do most of the reproducing nowadays.
Yeah, I for one would like to grab my savings and time warp back to 1970,
buy myself a spanking new Dodge Challenger RT, and relive the last years of
an age before common sense died completely, with the benefit of hindsight
:-).

Sid
Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:30 pm

Roll on "Life on Mars" I say....

:D

when men were men and drove cars with 4 Gears none of this 6 speed stuff, when a choke was used to start an car and not a method of murder... when 5 star fuel was sold and we used to fuel our room heater with Pink Parrafin.

I personally am re-evolving backwards (is that english??) in the cars I drive. A slant four burpping and farting at the lights in the moring is more like sweet music to me, than a zingy jap box with it the latest club track playing form it bass box in the boot.

Or how about the plesent rasp of the HA skipping down the road, like its hasnt a care in th world, not worring if 30MPH is too slow for the rest of the world....

Frankly backwards if forwards, progress is negative and disposablity is just lazyness 8)
pbottomley

Postby shamm » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:20 pm

Ahhhh, the early morning burble of a slant four inhaling fuel!

Perfect!
Steve Hammond

Two 2.3 Viva's, one 2.3 Viva Estate, one 2.3 Magnum estate, half share in a 1.6 Viva auto, and no time (HC183)
shamm
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to General Discussion