Soapbox - Blinding headlamps

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Postby dann01 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:31 pm

The nights and early mornings are darker now, and don't I know it. I am finding more and more modern car head lamps are ludicrously bright even on dipped, that drving in the dark has become a real pain, literally.

When driving and faced with headlamps coming toward me, I always look toward the curb and use that to judge my position in the road. However, Mrs. 4X4 driver with her steel blue bulbs in her mile high school run transport, gives no mind to the fact that she is melting your eyes or seering your retinas, just as long as she can see the 3 miles of road she needs to see ahead.

And then there is Mr. and Mrs. ignorant, who forget that their lamps are on full beam as they round the bend and see you, and wonder why it is you choose to head directly for them with your own lights flashing full beam. It's cos you can't blinkin well see!

Persoanlly, I have dreamed up another use for my chav basher (baseball bat) I shall allow cars with bright headlamps to overtake me. i shall follow themto their destination. I shall wait as the owner walks off. And then I shall calmly get my bat, and take out the offending head lamps.
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:46 am

While you're there, take out the fog lights as well - it will save me a trip later.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby hbpeter » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:36 am

I thought only I had this problem!! My drive to work is 25 miles along small country roads and moorland. Quite soon I'm sure I'm going off the road because I carnt see thanks to modern cars headlights. Even around town in traffic I get blinded. Break a few for me Dan!
Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby AUTOMAN » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:32 am

When I used to drive, I enjoyed night driving, but if I were still driving, I know that it would be too hard now, as I even have a problem being a pedestrian at night time due to this headlight problem. Like I have previously said in other posts, safety is more important than anything else but the safety of one person rather than the safety of many is not fair. I also believe that people driving with their lights too bright is a major safety issue to the person with the bright lights as they have not considered the effect that they could be having on other road users and due to the dazzeling of them, this could indeed be a contribution to an accidendent. This problem is made even werse on wet roads and when it is raining.

Ian,

AUTOMAN.
AUTOMAN

Re: Soapbox - Blinding headlamps

Postby Chevetter » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:02 pm

dann01 wrote:The nights and early mornings are darker now, and don't I know it. I am finding more and more modern car head lamps are ludicrously bright even on dipped, that drving in the dark has become a real pain, literally.

My sentiments exactly Dann - modern headlights are far too bright on dipped beam.
Chevetter
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Sid » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:58 am

I am finding more and more modern car head lamps are ludicrously bright
even on dipped,

Yeah, I know what you mean. First time out in the dark for a while this
week, I flashed 3 oncoming drivers before realising their lights were
already dipped.
The newer the car the worse they are, mainly because the new cars are much
taller and lights are often mounted right on top of the wings, probably six
inches higher than a Viva's so theyre pointing straight into your eyes if
you drive a lower car.
To make it worse the manufacturers set the beams right on the upper height
limit, so soon as the car gets a passenger in the rear the lights are aiming
upwards. Add the fact that modern bulbs and reflectors are brighter than
ever and it becomes very annoying.

Sid
Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Sid » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:06 am

Rear fog lights really annoy me. The other day I was following a car. We
entered a *slight* patch of mist and the silly moo switched her rear fog
lights on even though she obviously knew I could see her as I'd been behind
for miles.
Anyway, I returned the favour by putting my headlight to full beam.
Evidently she was cleverer than most, cos she got the message after about 5
seconds and switched the fogs back off :-)

Sid

----- Original Message -----
To: <general@vauxhallviva.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 8:46 AM
Subject: Re: Soapbox - Blinding headlamps

While you're there, take out the fog lights as well - it will save me a
trip later.
Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:35 pm

Nothing like fog lights to make you see red!!! :lol:
pbottomley

Postby cossieviva » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:32 pm

even in a 44tonne artic the moden headlights still blind you and your several feet higher than a car
cossieviva

Postby shamm » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:43 pm

Maybe we need to take an american approach and have a passenger riding point with a shotgun.
Take out the varmits as you pass!
Steve Hammond

Two 2.3 Viva's, one 2.3 Viva Estate, one 2.3 Magnum estate, half share in a 1.6 Viva auto, and no time (HC183)
shamm
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to General Discussion