Project Fren 3.0ltr

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Re: Project Fren 3.0ltr

Postby Spence » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:14 pm

Jon-HPF wrote:Spence - just drape a bit of carpet over it - you'd never know the difference :wink:

Thats some serious bit of bulkhead / tunnel cutting though , do you think it will pass these new DVLA rules ?

On a serious note - how does the prop line up - it looks quite high at the box .
Jon

Hey Jon, i was contemplating the carpet trick :mrgreen:

this is what i think of the dvla rules :boxing:

yeah, the back is too high, its mounted on the standard cross member, with the standard omega mount, abeit with a spacer put in by me to make the engine level in the car, think iam going to remove that spacer, and go for a tilt back affair as i cannot drop the front without hacking about my front subframe :imsmiling:

iam loving these new smilies btw :thanx:
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby ade » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:53 pm

can you take more from the sump and add some on the back or front to keep the oil level capacity up or even dry sump it ,then you may be able to drop the engine some more and eliminate to much tilt down at the rear
Big black and loud lol
ade
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Spence » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:04 pm

ade wrote:can you take more from the sump and add some on the back or front to keep the oil level capacity up or even dry sump it ,then you may be able to drop the engine some more and eliminate to much tilt down at the rear

iam approx 2" above the subframe to my sump gasket line, my windage tray (bolted cradle to the block bottom) won't allow further drop without adding box section benieth the subframe and cutting away the top (see crude picture)
Attachments
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Spence » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:11 pm

To put it mildly, iam in big sheet with this one...

any ideas lol??

do i really want to be cutting my front subframe and relocating the steering rack?

i can't put the engine any further back through the firewall as i won't have anything to mount it on :?
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby grandas_shed » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:17 pm

what about lowering the subframe (jack the car up higher) and then lowering the suspension to bring the car back to its original hight ? come to think of it with that engine you might not have to lower the suspension
==============================
vauxhall cresta pc 3.3L 1971 on ebay
item number 110585319394
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0485319394
grandas_shed
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Spence » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:06 pm

grandas_shed wrote:what about lowering the subframe (jack the car up higher) and then lowering the suspension to bring the car back to its original hight ? come to think of it with that engine you might not have to lower the suspension

sorry mate, iam running hpf springs which are (or appear to be) stiff as hell! i see what you mean but that seems more work than the adding/cutting idea :?:

iam open to suggestions of course :goodideasign:

can somebody measure their crank center height and or gearbox output please??? 2.3 preferably??
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby ade » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:33 pm

Do your best not to move the steering rack, ive had lots of probs with bump steer since altering mine.
I have just done some more mods to mine moving the rack back up to its original height and by cutting more into the sump and rewelding it . I have then added some more sump onto the back end to keep the oil capacity the same I will try to get some pics up at the weekend.
Oh and by the way it is better to angle the gearbox down slightly at the back to get a couple off degrees angle to the prop, dont have it in a perfect straight line uj's work better if there angled ok
:goodideasign:
Big black and loud lol
ade
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby martin-reyland » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:55 pm

Spence wrote:To put it mildly, iam in big sheet with this one...

any ideas lol??

do i really want to be cutting my front subframe and relocating the steering rack?

i can't put the engine any further back through the firewall as i won't have anything to mount it on :?

Spence ... I have a TVR 450i V8 going spare, do yourself a favour and buy it :wink: I'm looking at the V6 swap and it looks like a compromised conversion.
martin-reyland
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Spence » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:05 pm

Thanks for the tip ade, you gem! I was only going to move the rack forward on a spacer block to clear the motor, i know height can be an issue, but as you say you,ve had bump steer :shock:

think i'll go for the 4 degree slant towards the rear and see what happens :imsmiling:

oh, ive got no choice but to run a modified sump so putting a tilt on it and extensions isn't a problem (it'll just upset whoever i get to do the welding, unless someone wants to lend me a tig :lol: )
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Spence » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:10 pm

martin-reyland wrote:Spence ... I have a TVR 450i V8 going spare, do yourself a favour and buy it :wink: I'm looking at the V6 swap and it looks like a compromised conversion.

id love to mate, compromised? definatly! i was trying to be different and also not spend a fortune (i havn't huge amounts of cash after the alfa)

yes iam nearly a broken man, wondering how i ended up with this mess :imsmiling:
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Previous

Return to Modifications