LS2 engine fits Firenza. Working on fitting out the interior

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Re: LS2 engine fits Firena.. Working on fitting out the interior

Postby markb » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:18 pm

Wow. I think most on here would agree with me when I state that this is most likely the best ever Viva in the world!

Er..sorry, but I wouldn't. Much as I admire the superb quality of the workmanship here, it's just not my cup of tea I'm afraid. Too many modern parts. Give me an original-spec resto over a "pimped ride" any day!

M
markb
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby martin-reyland » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:16 pm

markb wrote:
Wow. I think most on here would agree with me when I state that this is most likely the best ever Viva in the world!

Er..sorry, but I wouldn't. Much as I admire the superb quality of the workmanship here, it's just not my cup of tea I'm afraid. Too many modern parts. Give me an original-spec resto over a "pimped ride" any day!

M

Each to their own Mark, I like retro cars (probably like you) but everything has moved on and although I like the looks I dislike the old tech mechanicals and electrics so you're welcome to your opinion even if its wrong!! :mrgreen: Btw I think you would change your mind if you seen the car but maybe not if you're the sort of guy who thinks chokes, carburettors, static seat belts and glass fuses are king .

yoeddynz wrote:Wow. I think most on here would agree with me when I state that this is most likely the best ever Viva in the world! 8)

You have not only done a awesome engine conversion which by itself is cool, you have continued on and left no stone unturned. It's inspirational. When I am next in England I demand a ride!!! :) Keep the photos coming please.

Thanks for the compliment although I thing you've annoyed Mark, haha!! When you're over here a ride is yours, plus anyone else that wants one! :D
martin-reyland
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby martin-reyland » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:32 pm

Finally I have one door completed, damned thing has took at least 40hrs labour!! Please ignore the colours of the leather and door handle, my phones flash seems to make everything look light and wrong.

Closed cell 3mm foam, got that off a guy on ebay.

martin-reyland
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby fistfullofV5's » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:12 pm

Hi Martin,have you used the original door cards and recovered them in leather or have you made new cards from scratch? I've got some splitting issues on my Firenza SL door cards and I'm pondering the best way to go.
P.S,I'm in the camp that likes your car by the way.
Dave.
fistfullofV5's
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby bobblehead006 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:37 am

Looking really good, I do like the interior.. It's pure class.
To be fair I think there is only going to be the odd person who dosn't like your car. They must be bonkers, you can't help but be impressed and inspired by such a beauty. :respekt:
bobblehead006
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby thomas » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:25 pm

I like it, hell I love it, but I also like them factory fresh looking without so much as a sticker that doesn't belong. I can see and understand Mark's point, it is the pure originals which can almost make you weep, though as far as the interior goes, I don't think it is so important as long as externally, nothing much is too out of place and if it passed me by in the street, the reminiscences and memories it triggers would be authentic. I can see a problem for us all without having 'golden' or reference vehicles (or many pictures thereof) to which we can refer when molishing our cars, so that we know what they should look like and what goes where, especially as parts lost or damaged over the years get replaced with alternatives or home-made efforts and whatever is expedient and it is no longer known whether something is right or belongs.

With everyone wanting a ride, you'll be kept busy chauffering grinning vvoc members around indefinitely.
thomas
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby martin-reyland » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:48 pm

thomas wrote:I like it, hell I love it, but I also like them factory fresh looking without so much as a sticker that doesn't belong.

Fair enough Thomas but I wouldn't want to own a std Firenza, I know I'm going to get way more enjoyment from driving my bespoke Firenza than I ever would in a std car. I'm going to upset a few by saying this but I don't think the std car ever was special enough to warrant keeping standard if your intention was to actually use it on a regular basis and yes that includes snoot models too!
martin-reyland
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby thomas » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:11 pm

Thanks for being so understanding Martin, I've lost count how many times I'd went to post a reply here commending the beautifully planned and executed work you have done and then couldn't find a way to say anything without also acknowledging Mark's valid point made about originality, without hurting anyones feelings. I agree with you completely on enhancing comfort and safety; seats with all the support of burst sofas and serpentine static seat-belts have been the bane of my and any passengers life when using the car. On my HB single-circuit brakes are also bit backward and I'm looking for a drop in replacement servo and dual-circuit master cylinder some day too.

I wanted also to ask Graeme (as test pilot) if he had yet found if the screen rubbers from Woolies you recommended (Part No. R1181-R/R1181-C) for the HC were also suitable for the HB too and if 7 metres would be sufficient for both front and rear screens. I also wondered if anyone thought whether this profile rubber would also be suitable for the two-door HB's rear side windows too, or throw that question open to the floor.

Time for dinner, back later.

:coolpics:
thomas
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby bobblehead006 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:50 am

Have we got a progress report? How's the motor doin? :lol:
bobblehead006
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby matt mechanic » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:53 pm

referance martin rayland firenza :respekt:
martin are you the martin that i once knew from the days when i worked at turbo systems in stoke?
matt mechanic
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications