LS2 engine fits Firenza. Working on fitting out the interior

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Postby martin-reyland » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:13 pm

viva power wrote:if i can get one i was lookin at small block 350 with a manual box but its finding one cheaply enough to get one as i fancied something different to the rover v8. but your lucky to find that car and engine.

I'm sure the earlier engines have iron blocks so there would be a weight penalty there. £3k would be the cheapest I would expect to pay for a low mileage LS complete with box etc.

Other engines you might want to consider are BMW 4.4 V8 & Lexus V8. I have a BMW V8 with the rare 6 speed manual box, I also have a TVR 450i engine & box (Rover V8 with steel internals), both could be for sale.
martin-reyland
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby viva power » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:20 pm

what kind of money are you after. i have been trying to price up engines and stuff for a car i want to build and an engine is the main difficulty really. its always good to know what needs to be spent before you jump in.
viva power
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby martin-reyland » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:26 pm

viva power wrote:what kind of money are you after. i have been trying to price up engines and stuff for a car i want to build and an engine is the main difficulty really. its always good to know what needs to be spent before you jump in.

Would take £1500 for either, obviously it doesn't end there. as you need to make mounts, exhaust, rear axle etc etc... It all costs. If you can do without the V8 sound what about fitting a Cosworth engine?
martin-reyland
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Spence » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:51 am

martin-reyland wrote:If you can do without the V8 sound what about fitting a Cosworth engine?

but my brother in law got nearly £1500 for his cosworth saffy lump? still isn't a cheap job.

its a visious circle really, the yank motors are expensive to buy, but insanely cheap to tune, the other v8 options are cheap to buy, but expensive to tune (1 cam vs 4, 16 valve vs 32)

i really wanted the v8 soundtrack, but as martin says, it all costs, it is not easy to do, there are alot of things to think of including chassis flex, hence iam going V6 (not my prefered v6, but still a v6 all the same)

ls2 looking good though martin, keep it up 8)
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Spence » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:53 am

what steering rack is that you,ve got fitted martin? chuffin omega has got a steering box so i can't use that :evil:
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby martin-reyland » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:05 pm

Spence wrote:what steering rack is that you,ve got fitted martin? chuffin omega has got a steering box so i can't use that :evil:

At the moment mine has the std rack in place but I'm looking at going power steering.
martin-reyland
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Spence » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:31 pm

martin-reyland wrote:
Spence wrote:what steering rack is that you,ve got fitted martin? chuffin omega has got a steering box so i can't use that :evil:

At the moment mine has the std rack in place but I'm looking at going power steering.

thats what i want to do, apparently the e30 beemer unit is a goer?
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby martin-reyland » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:34 pm

Spence wrote:
martin-reyland wrote:

thats what i want to do, apparently the e30 beemer unit is a goer?

I will take a look at one of those and let you know, thanks for the tip. :D
martin-reyland
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby martin-reyland » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:40 pm

Big hole :shock: ...

Did Firenza's ever have 2 speed wipers? I fitted this Rover 200 motor onto mine years ago to convert to 2 speed..

martin-reyland
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Spence » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:18 pm

martin-reyland wrote:Did Firenza's ever have 2 speed wipers? I fitted this Rover 200 motor onto mine years ago to convert to 2 speed..

apparently but doesn't appear to be common :roll:

i,ve got a bosch unit from an alfa 75 that i was going to use, failing that i may cut down the omega rack and use that (bolt on wiper arms then)

your probably closer to finding out about the e30 rack, so yeah, keep us posted 8)
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications