LS2 engine fits Firenza. Working on fitting out the interior

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Postby lambaj » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:16 am

Me again

Cant argue with your your examples, but from the sounds of things your looking at vehicle set up for track use, with track tires, suspension setups and nice clean tarmac (possibly with added rubber!) Its horses for courses, literally. Still would like to know if this V8 is for the street ?

Cheers
Tony (HA21)
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby martin-reyland » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:46 am

lambaj wrote:Me again

Cant argue with your your examples, but from the sounds of things your looking at vehicle set up for track use, with track tires, suspension setups and nice clean tarmac (possibly with added rubber!) Its horses for courses, literally. Still would like to know if this V8 is for the street ?

Cheers
Tony (HA21)

Hi Tony,

I had added a reply to my above post for you, my examples are all using road legal tyres. This car will be used mainly for street use but will probably see the 1/4 mile and maybe a V max event depending on how stable I can make it at high speeds.
martin-reyland
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lambaj » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:03 am

Oh boy, thats gonna be a handfull !

Well, congrats on getting the power figures you discuss onto the roads - you must have a lot of suspension experience to get the necessary weight transfer to keep street tyres from not turning into smoke! As for getting your V8 to go - well, I wish you luck and will follow how you get on with interest. Now that I understand your thoughts on the brakes, your decision sounds like the right one. Keep it light, and get some tie arms on the bottom wishbones ala the rally cars else I thinkyour gonna leave a wheel behind.

Good luck

Tony
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby martin-reyland » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:13 am

lambaj wrote:Oh boy, thats gonna be a handfull !

Keep it light, and get some tie arms on the bottom wishbones ala the rally cars else I thinkyour gonna leave a wheel behind.

Good luck

Tony

Btw, Is that your car in your sig? Is that a drag car with a monster engine??

*Edited to say* I clicked your car link on your post.
martin-reyland
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby martin-reyland » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:19 am

Just a small update.. The alloy brake bells are being made and will be rerady for the weekend. Big bonus though, the sump has just arived from the States :D So this evening I will be trial fitting the LS2.

The original Pontiac GTO engine's sump holds the oil at the front of the sump..

So I first bough a Camero sump which has a rear oil pan (pictured at the top) but it was too long and the engine would have sat too far back, so I ordered a Hummer sump and it looks like thats the one. :lol:

martin-reyland
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Spence » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:11 pm

looking good martin, hope my v6 is as easily sorted (sump reservoir at the front also)

but as mine houses nothing but oil unlike yours (filter etc) it should be more straight forward :?
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby martin-reyland » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:01 pm

Weighed the engine with all ancils and it came out at 218kg

In it goes, it does look big :shock:

LS2 into Firenza will go :D

Engine needs to go back about an inch..

There will be a bit of chopping to do for the R/H head and then its gearbox time...
martin-reyland
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby viva power » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:22 pm

i really wish i could do this for myself but im gonna have to find an engine first. how do you manage to get hold of this motor? or is it a new crate motor?. i`ll be following this thread with great interest.
viva power
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby martin-reyland » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:28 pm

viva power wrote:i really wish i could do this for myself but im gonna have to find an engine first. how do you manage to get hold of this motor? or is it a new crate motor?. i`ll be following this thread with great interest.

I bought this engine off a guy who imported it but bit off more than he could chew and as a result got it quite cheap. I was also offered a complete damaged LS1 Pontiac GTO so I have that too.

There's a new LS1 on ebay right now but it doesn't have a gearbox, there's also an LS1 Camero Auto with a start price of £3.5k that could be a donor.
martin-reyland
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby viva power » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:53 pm

if i can get one i was lookin at small block 350 with a manual box but its finding one cheaply enough to get one as i fancied something different to the rover v8. but your lucky to find that car and engine.
viva power
GT Viva
GT Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications