Biggest size wheels?

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Biggest size wheels?

Postby dsj1979 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:14 pm

Hi,

I'll give some background first... I'm going to fit a SR20DET engine into my Firenza, and use a Scimiter axle. The axle will be drilled out to 108pcd along with the front so it will be easy to get wheels.

Now.... I wanted to know what the biggest size wheels fit on a Firenza? Without problems, or with minor problems? The bigger the wheel, the bigger the brakes I can fit. Though, I was hoping someone may have some pictures of a Firenza or Viva with wheels bigger than 13" so I can see what it could look like?

Many thanks,

Daniel
dsj1979
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby bulldog » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:00 pm

this one had 14s on it with cut springs [on it bump stops] it had a whack on the inners arches on the front to help with turning sorry best photos i got of the car
mike

1972 firenza 2000 sl turbo
1969 HB 1159 2 door deluxe [Fungus]
1968 HB 1159 2 door sl90
hc 325
bulldog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby coggers » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:04 pm

7 x 15 and -60mm springs..
coggers
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby dsj1979 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:39 pm

Thanks for the replies so far! I have to say, the white Firenza is stunning! Do you have anymore pictures?

So... 15inch wheels fit! Can you tell me what size tyres you're using? Have you had to modify anything? Do you have any problems with them? Also, how do you find the handling and general road usage using -60 springs? And.. where did you get the -60 springs?

Thanks!
dsj1979
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby coggers » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:38 pm

dsj1979 wrote:Thanks for the replies so far! I have to say, the white Firenza is stunning! Do you have anymore pictures?

So... 15inch wheels fit! Can you tell me what size tyres you're using? Have you had to modify anything? Do you have any problems with them? Also, how do you find the handling and general road usage using -60 springs? And.. where did you get the -60 springs?

Thanks!

Thanks man

I'm on 195/50/15s.

Wheels go straight on but I'm unsure of ET. They are tucked well inside the arch though , could probably do with being an inch nearer the arch just for asthetic reasons but they certainly don't catch anywhere.

No problem at all with them.

The handling is brilliant , sticks to the road well , corners are a blast - there's no roll whatsoever . Only downside is the ride is a bit on the firm side as one would imagine but I'm only on standard KYB replacement gas shocks . I think if I went to adjustables and had a play with the settings it would end up being a wee bit more comfortable . Not that it's a harsh or 'crashy' ride but when you've done an hour in it , you know you've done an hour in it .. :lol:

For spring availability check the Supplier Links section on this very forum ! Any more info feel free to pm me

Cheers

Have a pic or two

coggers
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby dsj1979 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:04 pm

I have to say that looks spot on! Really nice!

Looks like I'll be trying to get some -60 springs and 15inch wheels! How do you find the roll cage? Because I'll probably have around 300bhp, I was considering one to add some rigidity to the shell!? Do you have any pictures of the inside? :D
dsj1979
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby coggers » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:34 pm

dsj1979 wrote:I have to say that looks spot on! Really nice!

Looks like I'll be trying to get some -60 springs and 15inch wheels! How do you find the roll cage? Because I'll probably have around 300bhp, I was considering one to add some rigidity to the shell!? Do you have any pictures of the inside? :D

The cage was in when I got it so I don't have any experience of driving it without one . So , as to it's rigidity , yes it probably does add a little bit to the shell but it's only a bolt in cage - more of a show cage than anything else . If I was planning on an engine swap for something with a serious power upgrade such as you are then I'd be looking to weld it in . Have you actually got a cage for yours or are you planinng on adapting something else or making something ?

Sorry the interior pics aren't the best. It used to be stripped out with chequerplate instead of a rear seat and chequerplate on the floor too but it was just too noisy for me.. :lol: So I'm busy fitting a carpet and sound deadening pads as we speak. .
coggers
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby dsj1979 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:46 pm

I think that looks great, absolutely spot on!

To be honest I haven't thought much about the cage. I was reading a thread the other day where someone said about the power of the car twisting the shell and a roll cage should add some rigidity to stop that. It made me think that I should consider a roll cage.

I don't know how often they come up secondhand though? Otherwise it's either finding someone who manufactures them cheaply, or maybe I could buy a tube bender and try my luck?

I couldn't see the details for the -60mm springs? Do you have a link to the website or a telephone number?
dsj1979
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby coggers » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:53 am

I know a couple of bods who've gone down the pipe bender route and it's turned out okayish. I think I've only ever seen one cage come up on Ebay ( there may have been more just I never saw them ! ) over the years which is why I thought something else could be adapted .

There are firms around who will custom make you a cage , I got a quote from a place in Manchester who do a lot of stuff for the OldSkoolFord boys , when I was after one for a Kadett , I think they quoted me around £350 but they take your car and fit the cage in so at least you know it's going to be right .

You could try contacting Safety Devices - they still listed Chevette cages when I was ringing around last year
http://www.safetydevices.com/4x4-produc ... uctmenu-64

Link for the springs here -

http://www.vauxhallviva.com/vivaforum/v ... php?t=9695
coggers
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby yoeddynz » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:55 am

i spoke to paul last night about this but forgot his answer already.. Will these -60 springs fit a hb? Paul said something about rear hb springs being slightly different?

I agree on cogger's car- always gets me drooling..
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to Modifications