Biggest size wheels?

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Postby dsj1979 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:49 am

Thanks. I think you're right, it would be better and easier to pay someone to make a roll cage. Yours looks quite un-obtrusive which is nice.

The springs are a good price so when I'm ready I'll have to order a set. I've seen coilovers mentioned but I'm thinking for the work, I'm not sure if the end result will be worth it? Or are they much better?

I'm having to try and stop myself looking at this thread over and over again, your car is just stunning. I was thinking of colours for (one day) when it gets resprayed, I hadn't thought of white but it looks spot on. Though I probably wouldn't go for that colour as I'd feel like I was trying to do a replica of your car! lol! :D
dsj1979
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby lambaj » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:48 pm

HI

I did a half cage to reinforce the front of my V6 HA, using a hydraulic bender. Took a lot of time, swearing and a complete strip out of the car to achieve what I wanted, but it is possible. I have attached a piccy or two to show what I did if your interested. As I say, just made with a standard bender and a mig welder. All 52mm 5mm wall tube so it will not go anywhere !
You can't see the pipes that run down the inside of the A pillars to connect the front cage to the reinforced sill/floor in the bottom of the footwells.

The obvious thing to point out is that a cage is only as strong at the bit its attached to, so add strengthening plates where ever the cage is attached to the body - assuming you want the cage to be more that just a look.

If your thinking about any kind of competition, make sure you read up on the requirements. They are involved and if you ever want to race in a class where the cage is compulsory, you will have to have it inspected and certified.

Good luck
Tony
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby ade » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:57 pm

Demon tweeks list them in there race catalouge £500
may look at getting one for the new firenza .then fabricate an exact copy before fitting it so i will have one for the beast
Big black and loud lol
ade
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Biggest size wheels?

Postby martin-reyland » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:50 pm

dsj1979 wrote:Hi,

Now.... I wanted to know what the biggest size wheels fit on a Firenza? Without problems, or with minor problems? The bigger the wheel, the bigger the brakes I can fit. Though, I was hoping someone may have some pictures of a Firenza or Viva with wheels bigger than 13" so I can see what it could look like?

Many thanks,

Daniel

I have 7.5x16 on the front and 9x16 on the rear, I reckon you could easily fit 7.5x17" on the front and 8 or 9x17 if you used lower profile tyres than me. 330mm 4 pots fit inside my wheels but 17" would have allowed even bigger.

The car has no engine fitted in the above picture.

martin-reyland
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby dsj1979 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:05 am

Wow, the work on that HA is incredible! That's a lot of work.

I'm worried about leaving this thread open.... it started with 14's, then 15's.... 16's talk of 17's..... :D

Have you driven the car with the 16's on? Is it lowered at all? And again, any problems with them? Turning, catching on anything?

Cheers :D
dsj1979
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby lambaj » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:21 am

Thanks for your comments on the HA, yes, it was a lot of work ! Challenging, but fun, occasionally very painful!

I've seen an HC on 17's but to be honest I really did not like it. The huge wheel no tyre look can suit modern styled vehicles, but in my opinion going too big on a Viva would have the same effect as putting 13's on a mondeo etc etc. Also, the bigger the rim, the low profile tyre you need. You can get them, but too lower profile will compromise road handling as the suspension on our cars was designed to use the tires sidewall flex as a component in the suspensions behavior. Not to mention you will cream your bearings and knock out bushes at an alarming rate.
Paul B has a link to a wheel/tyre size calculator, but in theory if the original HP cars had 205/60r13's, you can go to 205/40r17's if you feel so inclined.
I also expect you will have to have a set of wheels customed drilled over 16" as I have not seen 4x4" pcd on any modern large alloy........

Tony (HA21)
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby dsj1979 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:31 pm

lambaj wrote:Thanks for your comments on the HA, yes, it was a lot of work ! Challenging, but fun, occasionally very painful!

I've seen an HC on 17's but to be honest I really did not like it. The huge wheel no tyre look can suit modern styled vehicles, but in my opinion going too big on a Viva would have the same effect as putting 13's on a mondeo etc etc. Also, the bigger the rim, the low profile tyre you need. You can get them, but too lower profile will compromise road handling as the suspension on our cars was designed to use the tires sidewall flex as a component in the suspensions behavior. Not to mention you will cream your bearings and knock out bushes at an alarming rate.
Paul B has a link to a wheel/tyre size calculator, but in theory if the original HP cars had 205/60r13's, you can go to 205/40r17's if you feel so inclined.
I also expect you will have to have a set of wheels customed drilled over 16" as I have not seen 4x4" pcd on any modern large alloy........

Tony (HA21)

Getting the wheels shouldn't be a problem as the hubs are going to be re-drilled to 108pcd. Although I'm interested in finding out the biggest size wheels that will fit, I won't nescesarily get the biggest wheels. Unfortunately I really love coggers car and the 15's look really good..... so chances are I'll go for 15's. But... anything could change! :D
dsj1979
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Mower_Racer » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:58 pm

Hi guys

I am uprating the brakes on my Magnum.

So i am looking at bigger wheels, i am thinking 15" minilites at the moment. (just awaiting a quote) Although i do like Martins and Coggers wheels (similar to the old Audi 80 sport?)

Have either of you rolled the arches?

Cheers

Jason

PS I think your car is awesome Coggers, well done! Hope mine looks half as nice! :D

PPS Any update on the LS1 Engine Martin? That things gonna fly!!
Mower_Racer
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:12 am

Sorry to correct you Tony , but the original snoots had 185/70 , 13's , but the avon will take up to 205/60/ 13's (thats what i have) .
Interesting to note that the sidewall acts with the suspension though - i never knew that !
I can move the sidewall on the 205's by hand, which always alarms me!
Cheers Jon
"Thats a nice looking Capri you got there mate!"
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lambaj » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:39 am

No worries John. Always happy to be corrected when wrong - not ever proclaimed to be an HC/Droop expert ! But the sidewall thing is something a lot of people do not realise and can really change the handling of a car, sometimes not for the better. From personal experience, I would not go below a 50 profile on the viva unless you looking for the best performance on perfect tarmac (ie track days!)

I also have 205/60r13s on the back of my Black HA, there is about 15mm clearance in the arch, but it did take me some time to work out why when pushing hard in corners, the tyres rubbed the arches. Worked it out as a combination of sidewall flex, and the lack of a panhard rod on the back end. Means that the tread of the tyre can move +/- 15mm wrt the chassis. Scary !

Also, beware of tires that are reinforced, often used on people movers, the sidewalls are to all intense and purpose solid and often even when flat, do not collapse!

All the fun of the fair !

Tony (HA21)
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications