Flush fit door handles into HC doors

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Re: Flush fit door handles into HC doors

Postby Jon-HPF » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:57 pm

Made a start on the drivers door - but before it goes on - need to address another area of rust :x , did a similar repair on the other side but that was only about the size of a 2pence coin.

Cut out the offending rusty metal.

New plate in place ready for welding.

Filler :)

Back to black and white :D

As i need to use the toyota srike pin - need to weld up the original hole .

"Thats a nice looking Capri you got there mate!"
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:04 pm

Finally - both doors done :D

Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby mazzo » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:31 pm

Jon - well done.

What a difference. It looks odd but in a good way. Just so used to seeing chrome on the doors.

In a funny way it looks a bit reminiscent of a Mk1 Cavalier - particularly the front on shot. Makes it look much more modern too.

Nice one!
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:21 pm

Thanks Mazzo, they are a lot better to oporate too ! , fitted the remote central locking but left out the electric windows - didnt have the heart to cut up some perfectly good door cards .
I know that sounds strange, when im willing to alter everything else , but in reality it only takes 3 turns on the winder to fully open/ close - so the benefit wasnt great.

Next to go is the boot lock (weld + fill in ) . Im also toying with the idea of filling in the bonnet vents - just to add to the overall smooth effect - will have to make air ducts probably via the "A" pillar area to rely on fresh air from under the arch .
The current bonnet is pretty naff so i will have a trial go at the bonnet mod , just to see the effect .

Cheers - Jon
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Spence » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:51 am

thats a cracking job Jon, very welldone mate!

so when are you going to come and do mine??!!

looking at yours makes me want mine done yesterday :imsmiling:
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:20 pm

Spence wrote:thats a cracking job Jon, very welldone mate!

so when are you going to come and do mine??!!

looking at yours makes me want mine done yesterday :imsmiling:

Thanks Spence - do your own u lazy git :lol: , took ages to do (seamed like any way !) , now just got to try and get the shut lines all perfect - I lined up the sills/ front wings with the original doors on , now the gaps at wing/ door and sills are not as good as they could be . I should have used these doors to start with :oops:

I bought a new o/s fg wing from Honybourne (after seeing your wings) , as im not happy with the swage line on mine.
new one seems better , but i may end up redoing the current wings (cos they need realigning now the new doors are on) plus doing away with the wing / snoot join and just blending them in .

The car is not meant to be a replica of a snoot - so i don feel too bad about blending the wings to the nosecone, also it will ad to the overall smooth effect im trying to acheive :D

Jon
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Spence » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:14 pm

i know what you mean about shut lines Jon, ive just fitted a different drivers door, and i can fit 2 pound coins in the rear gap :evil:

how well does your honeybourne wing fit? i went to fit mine the other day, and it doesn't appear to want to go back far enough! the gap at the base of the "a" piller and door shut is a good 10mm!

i hate this whole panel alignment thing, iam no good at it, engines are my forte, even the pattern (brand new) steel wing ive got seems to be a sh1te fit! grrr! more messing and swearing before i get to do some good stuff...

i wouldn't feel bad about flushing the nose in, Andy (yellow jag powered old nail) has got a one piece nose cone/wings and it looks awsome!
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:47 pm

Not sure of the fit yet - but the swage line is much better :D . these f/g panels are never going to fit strait on with no messing around . I had to cut all the "A" pillar section of the wing off in order to get it to sit flush with the doors - thats why i made 2 brackets to bolt the wing to the pillar from the wheel arch side .
Same probs arise with aftermarket steel panels and a lot of "fettling" is needed to get any decent fit / correct gaps etc.

I had the same prob on the drivers door - big gap at rear wing - so i made up some spacers out of stainless steel 2mm thick (used the triangular plate on the hinges as a template) - this closed the rear gap but opened up the front :evil: .
So i now need to realign the wing.

The passenger side door fitted strait to the "A" pillar with no spacers and the rear gap is very acceptable - had to twist the door frame though as the top part was sticking out and the lower part going in ! This was with the lower front part of door being flush with sill and front wing - weird :?

The curent f/g wings dont sit that good where they meet the sill - i cant get the same curve / flush with the undercurve of the sill - so , again , its a chance to realign .
Im basically going to slice the current wings about 2 inches from all the edges , then get allthe gaps / shut lines correct and bolted in place , then reglass the cut wing back on / fill so they are as near perfect as poss - but will be very pertinent to my car only - ie they will never be a direct fit on anything else :)
Sounds a bit drastic , but its the only way i can think of overcoming their poor fit , without having to build up or shave off any edges .
I will be fitting the better steel bonnet before i do this work - just in case that is a different size to the current one :wink:

As for the old nail kitted cars - they dont have that join line anyway and they look great . I dont know why i fitted with the line - its not like you can get new (snoot) wings that easily , if ever they were damaged - so blending them in doesnt create any probs.
Jon
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Sat May 08, 2010 4:13 pm

Made some hinge washers out of 3mm stainless steel plate and relplaced old bolts for new -

[Hosted_Picture]Image[/Hosted_Picture]
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Previous

Return to Modifications