Uprate HA front end

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Uprate HA front end

Postby pbottomley » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:10 pm

Had a bit os a head sup other day from NRSA forum, about using MINI rear coilover shock absorbers on the front subframe of a HA.

Did a little digging about and so far looks like its a go'er!

these are a pair of coilover shockers form a mini (classic mini)

And here is a HA front one

I had a natter with Bulldog last night and got him to messure some mini ones and fully closed they are 12", guess what so is a viva HA one, the top fitting is the same, and the bottom bush should be similar

The idea from the NSRA was to leave the existing leaf spring in place and shove in some coilovers.

get yourself some mini van rear coilover shocks they fitted straight in to the same space as the old shocks works a treat as well ,ive left the leaf sping in there as i got told if you take it out no.1 they are a **** to get out and no2 the leaf acts like a cross member so when you take the leaf out the bottom arms tend to woble about a bit

Thoughts welcome :D :D
pbottomley

Postby grandas_shed » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:19 pm

must remember that, thanks for shareing
==============================
vauxhall cresta pc 3.3L 1971 on ebay
item number 110585319394
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0485319394
grandas_shed
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lambaj » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:43 pm

HI

I've spent some time on the NSRA forum warning people against inappropriate use of coil overs with HA suspension. The uprights of the crossmember are not strong enough to support the forces generated by the coil overs, and the top/bottom mounts need considerable uprating to take the stresses. The bottom leaf spring is needed to maintain the correct alignment of the lower wishbone. Normally, all the weight of the vehicle is carried directly from the lower ball joint straight thru the wishbone to the leaf spring. If you remove this spring, all the forces are now carried thru the wishbone to the shock mount. The bushes also can be overloaded and will wear at an accelerated rate. Be very careful of original wishbones. Often they have corroded to about 1/2 the original material thickness, and could fold. Remember, all they do in the HA is keep the hub upright in the correct place. They do not carry the weight.

What are you trying to achieve ?? You can get all the uprating and lowering you need by modifiying / changing / re-building the leaf spring......

Food for thought.

Tony
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Uprate HA front end

Postby pbottomley » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:51 pm

Hense the reasn why i asked for thoughts :D I fi use mini ones they will be just normal rated or slightly stiffer then the weady HA ones. just trying to go a bit stiffer not rock solid
pbottomley

Postby lambaj » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:20 pm

Ok, might have missed the point here........ :oops: Are you just thinking of using the shock, without the spring :?:

If you want uprated shocks, then you can still get adjustables from Spax, but you will have to order them directly as any dealer will say "no mate, not in years.... :P .
I have run these to good effect for many moons on my Black HA

Tony
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Uprate HA front end

Postby pbottomley » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:54 pm

NO i was thinking leave spring alone, its a pain in the what not..... just add extrat GRIP via a upraihted damper, if they are the same as mini ones then it opens a whole new door to places to find spares.

Mini one might be on a shelf HA ones well as you say LOL forget it
pbottomley

Re: Uprate HA front end

Postby Alexander » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:06 am

Hi!
I have also thought about getting the front a bit stiffer, and something i then thought about is to make a anti roll bar for the front. Has anyone done this or even thought about it? :)
Hope its OK to use this thread, since its almost about the same thing.. :)

//Alex
Vauxhall Viva HA 1964
Alexander
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Uprate HA front end

Postby bedfordbad » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:48 am

If you are wanting to go down the rollbar route, some 10cwt ha vans ha them fitted from new, shouldnt be too bad to fit either!!
BEDFORD HAE AAB412H
BEDFORD HA ROMA UJJ742F
BEDFORD HA 130 TNN514R
VARIOUS HA VANS AND ROMA`S FOR SPARES.
bedfordbad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Modifications