Help!!!!

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Help!!!!

Postby Po79 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:58 pm

Thanks,

Po79.
Last edited by Po79 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Po79
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:33 pm

Po - ill pm u my phone numbers - any help needed just phone .

With regards the catch u need an internal opener + (cable to lever on n/s floor side panel)

The spring on bonnet catch of a real snoot is stronger (pushes it up further) - i normally pop the bonnet from the internal lever :wink: then stick my hand up under the bumper and push up the safety catch to get fingers in the opening (sounds dirty that bit :oops: )

Dont worry about the holes not lining up on the slam panel (for now) but make sure all the bonnet/wing bonnet / screen panel etc is all square and correct (even when closed on the catch) - then offer the nosecone in place and get the cone to wing sections bolted up .

This should give u a snoot to front of bonnet gap of no more than about 2mm (the rounded edge of the bonnet when closed should sit slightly lower than the top edge of the snoot

Once you are happy with the fit / gap spaces etc then you can drill new holes directly in line with the snoots - i welded captive nuts under the holes so that button (allen key) headed bolts could be used instead of those nasty clips.
hope this helps , but phone me if u get stuck
Cheers - Jon
"Thats a nice looking Capri you got there mate!"
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby ADRIAN » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:46 pm

The safety catch arm, (The bar attached to the bonnet, with a hook on the bottom) is longer on a snoot car than on standard HC saloon, by about 1 1/2" or so, so that the bonnet pops up higher in order to clear the snoot just enough to get your fingers in to push up the release bar. Just weld on an extension to the bar.
Simples!

Adrian
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:08 pm

That may be the case Adrian , but i find after popping the bonnet i can still lift it high enough (from underneath) to get my fingers in so the safety catch can be released (using standard HC safety catch) .
I find the initial prob is the bonnet strike pin spring isnt strong enough to launch the bonnet higher . Even had the same problem on a snoot - so the spring is a likely culprit (wears out over the years no doubt)
Im looking to overcome this problem by placing a thick washer between the spring /bonnet - hopefully this will compress the spring just enough to give that extra lift :D
"Thats a nice looking Capri you got there mate!"
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Thanks.

Postby Po79 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:14 pm

Thanks for that,

Your right Adrian "simples"!

Jon you might just regret handing me your number!!!! :)

Thanks again guys I'll be back here agian tomorrow scratching my head again. :lol:

Po79.
Po79
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby yoeddynz » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:34 am

hijacking your thread but has anyone fitted a cable release type of bonnet catch to a HB? ie; does an HC one fit?
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Spence » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:46 pm

ADRIAN wrote:
Simples!

Adrian

i love that saying! but can anyone make that funny little noise afterwards??!!
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby viva les vegas » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:12 pm

nope lol, I've tried, but fail
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Modifications