Am I mad

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Am I mad

Postby handydave » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:44 pm

Ok am I going nuts. i have been doing the body work on the viva. cutting of panels fitted over the top original panels, not much damage to original ones few big dents but nothing that needed what was done to it.

Any way in the corner of my garage I have a rover V8 and been looking back at posts and project of other members.
how much hard ship would it be to fit. The only thing I am not sure about is the rear diff. Thinking of jag lsd but would have to build independent rear suspensory for it? The braking side would have to be uprated along with shocks then thought would I need anti roll bars fitted?

has any one done this type of conversion if so some advice would be great.

thanks Dave
Ashes to ashes, Dust to dust you better use before it rusts !!!!
handydave
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Am I mad

Postby yoeddynz » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:20 pm

Fit a magnum axle- it should handle a mild rover if your not silly dropping the clutch etc.

The rover is probably lighter or a similar weight to a slant 4 - I reckon magnum front brakes would be fine for stopping- its only fade being the problem on numerous stops.

Go for it I say- plenty have been fitted but someone else with more experience on these will know what's involved as far as any possible mods to the tunnel.

Just imagine the sound 8)
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:38 pm

Fred Dukes has a v8 firenza - maybe he could post some pics up :D
Jon
"Thats a nice looking Capri you got there mate!"
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby handydave » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:36 am

Hi have been thinking about using the Magnum axle it is a case of finding one. was thinking of using / upgrading to Omaga front hubs and read axle of a 3.0l or the 2.5. I know I would have to build new suspension but thinking time spent looking for parts and cross-reference and driving around would it take that long to build some arms?
This is all pie in the sky at the moment but more I think about it, the more I like the idea.
handydave
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Spence » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:46 am

handydave wrote:Hi have been thinking about using the Magnum axle it is a case of finding one. was thinking of using / upgrading to Omaga front hubs and read axle of a 3.0l or the 2.5. I know I would have to build new suspension but thinking time spent looking for parts and cross-reference and driving around would it take that long to build some arms?
This is all pie in the sky at the moment but more I think about it, the more I like the idea.

if you pull off the omega rear suspension plan, your a brave man! i recently bought a complete omega 3ltr as a doner planning on doing just what your contemplating, needless to say, the front and rear axles got scrapped with the shell. (way way to complicated) the omega rear suspension is a subframe (too wide) with a pair of trailing arms

iam sticking with a 4 bar/ watts link and 4ha salisbury axle format
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby handydave » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:37 pm

was thinking of building a space frame or a rail frame like most rot rod's then just drop the shell on the top of it. . But like you say a lot of work would like to stay with solid axle on rear but not many around though.
handydave
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby bigwheeler » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:57 pm

Personaly i wouldnt use a magnum axle as they can only handle upto around 200bhp before giving up and after a few tweaks of your engine it wont be far from that.

I am fitting a rover v8 to my firenza and i'm using a reliant scimitar se5 axle whish is the same width as the firenza one
And some jag lsd diffs bolt straight in the se5 axle.
Old cars dont die they just get faster
bigwheeler
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby handydave » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:27 am

Hi ya Bigwheeler I think I looked at one of your posts. The reliant scimitar se5 axle is a good idea one I have been looking at its just finding one though. I did think about opal manta or Monza axle as well but can only find late model independent axle's.

What gear box will you be running I am thinking or proven LT77 or the R380.
I won't be going mad with the engine yet it is the baby 3.5 with mild cam, Carb jetting and Air box. If I pull of getting it fitted and the brakes along with suspension sorted I would love to drop in a tuned Chevy.
handydave
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby bigwheeler » Tue May 04, 2010 9:06 pm

Not sure what code the box is but its a 5 speed out of a rover sd1

I am using the 3.9 efi engine in mine and with a few tweaks like a cam, chipped ecu, polished and ported head oh and around 100bhp of nos i am hoping to get it upto around 350bhp :D
Old cars dont die they just get faster
bigwheeler
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to Modifications