Custom throttle linkage

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Re: Custom throttle linkage

Postby pbottomley » Fri May 07, 2010 10:30 pm

Get it sent then !!!!! :thanx: :thanx:
pbottomley

Postby pbottomley » Tue May 11, 2010 5:36 pm

Its arrived... superb quality thanks a zillion Peter.... :respekt: :respekt:

Just need to finish off the cross link to the throttle bar between the carbs, sort out a bush in the manifold. everything lines up as it needs to just need to sort out a wee clamp to hold it in place either side of manifold to stop it moving forwards out of the bulkhead bush and its done and dusted. The finished item will see the cross bar going under the manifold not on top as it lies at the minute.
pbottomley

Postby hbpeter » Tue May 11, 2010 6:13 pm

Bl**dy H*ll it fits!!! You could chop 1/2 inch off the end of that easy. Dont try to drill it for split pins, too small and too hard. A small washer brazied on either side of manifold will hold it in, or very small Jubilee clips. :goodluck:

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby lambaj » Tue May 11, 2010 10:39 pm

Hi Paul

Got your 2 1/2" Bolts sitting about, need your address please...... :wink:
As for a fitting to stop the throttle bar sliding out the bulkhead bracket, how about a bit of phospher bronze bar stock with a 6mm hole and cross drilled with two tapped holes and a pair of grub screws. This can then be adjusted to butt up to the lug on the manifold. Also, what size is the hole in the manifold ? might be able to make a bush out of the same part :goodideasign: ........ I can make this if you like, simple enough, but not for a week or so as I'm heading up to Warwick for a weeks work. Let me know if you need something and I'll rattle something up when I get home.

Cheers
Tony
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Tue May 11, 2010 11:17 pm

I will PM your address, HINT its about 18 miles or so from Warwick, if ya want to pop over and rip the *Bleep* out of me!!!

:thanx:

I had thought of a couple of collars with grub screws etc... I am sure a meccanno set has just the item
pbottomley

Postby lambaj » Wed May 12, 2010 8:26 am

Cool. Looks like a personal delivery service then.....
I'll be intouch
Tony
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby hbpeter » Wed May 12, 2010 1:56 pm

I just had a thunk. Arnt the throttles on the carbs connected to each other? If so why do you need 2 bars going to the carbs to operate the throttle. Or am I missing the obvious. Meccano set is a good idea, pretty sure they do have small collars with grub screws. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MECCANO-VINTAGE-3 ... 4aa100458a, you could use something like that.

Peter
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby lambaj » Wed May 12, 2010 3:28 pm

Hi

I think the picture is miss leading..... the bulkhead side lever connects to the thottle pedal linkage, not the rear most carb. The middle one goes to the carbs, which do have the correct springy couplers.....
Paul will no doubt confirm later....
Tony
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby hbpeter » Wed May 12, 2010 7:24 pm

Ahhh thought I was missing the obvious!! :new2_shrug:

Peter
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby pbottomley » Wed May 12, 2010 8:15 pm

Tony has it correctly, although having played with it tonight I am a bit disappointed to say its not working well, and having lost a key part of the rod linkage I am giving up for the night, before i get upset to much.

I am now in need of the following part (number 10 and 11 the wee little screw) This links the throttle pedal to the vertical rod link towards the pivot to the cross link, without it I am a bit lost :(.

This picture is laid out as if you were in the passenger seat looking forward through the bulkhead. I would take a picture of said part, but obviously If i had one to take a picture of I wouldn't need one !

For your help Peter, you made part 23 for me. :thanx:
pbottomley

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications