A viable transplant?

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Re: A viable transplant?

Postby Spence » Wed May 12, 2010 10:19 am

ade wrote:Im contemplating selling the beast shortly so start saving as its already done for you. :)

Ade, i'd love to, but its yours! and always will be!
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Spence » Wed May 12, 2010 10:30 am

pbottomley wrote:Yea i was kinda worried all along about the width of this engine with its bits and bobs on..So sorry to hear its stopping progress. :goodluck: :goodluck:

its not so much the width, its the engine mount and where the headers want to go!

my main concern is location of the steering column and pedal box, they both want to occupy the same space :imsmiling:

lambaj wrote:Take the headers out throught the inner wings. Leaves all the room you could want for the steering ??? I had to do something similar with the V6 essex in my HA. There is only 1/2" between the starter body and the chassis, then an engine mount, then an oil filter, then a radiator...... Absolutely no way to get the pipes in, so went out the rear corner of the inner wing. My problem was then solved, and a managed to get a proper manifold setup in too.
Stick with it mate, you will have all the same problems with the V8, only you will be starting again from scratch, will have a much much heavier lump, a hole in your wallet etc etc......
Cheers and keep the Faith !
Tony (HA21)

Hi Tony, i know what you mean about starting again, especially as ive come this far allready.
have you got any pictures of your v6 headers? I do want to follow this through, i just feel like ive bitten off more than iam clever for :oops:
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Wed May 12, 2010 9:34 pm

Spence , there is always a solution to a problem - you just havent found it yet :x Dont give up - im certain you will overcome these probs - Tony's solution sounds interesting.
Jon
"Thats a nice looking Capri you got there mate!"
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby ade » Wed May 12, 2010 10:20 pm

Why dont you move or modify slightly the pedal box or make a complete new one to you own design.
I used the clutch and brake pedal mounts but moved them over 1" and put a kink in the brake pedal
Anything is possible the challenge is to find a solution and not let it beat you.
I will try and find some pics of how i got around mine i had the same problem.
Big black and loud lol
ade
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Spence » Thu May 13, 2010 11:20 am

ade wrote:Why dont you move or modify slightly the pedal box or make a complete new one to you own design.
I used the clutch and brake pedal mounts but moved them over 1" and put a kink in the brake pedal
Anything is possible the challenge is to find a solution and not let it beat you.
I will try and find some pics of how i got around mine i had the same problem.

If i remember right, your transmission tunnel is huge Ade! If you could dig out some pics i will be eternally gratefull as my clutch pedal is trying to occupy the same space as my steering column!

I can get around whats going on in the 'bay, its my footwell that seriously messing me up

(there is a brake pedal yet to go in the middle)
Attachments
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby ade » Thu May 13, 2010 4:57 pm

Is that the omega pedals they look kinda bulky
Would you be better fitting in a smaller mount with a slave cylinder on and a remote servo.are you moving the seats and steering coloum back, i did and it gave me a little more room for pedals.
Big black and loud lol
ade
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Spence » Thu May 13, 2010 5:50 pm

ade wrote:Is that the omega pedals they look kinda bulky
Would you be better fitting in a smaller mount with a slave cylinder on and a remote servo.are you moving the seats and steering coloum back, i did and it gave me a little more room for pedals.

yeah thats the omega stuff, ive allready come to terms that the clutch and brake pedal are a no no! my original pedal box is a bit goosed to be honest, and i don't really like the design either, allthough it doesn't stop me from fitting proper bearings to it?

yeah the seats are vectra gsi recaros mounted onto the vectra adaptor plates which are welded to the floor a good couple of inchs rearward from where the orignal 4 bolt clamp was 8) (i measured the floor in my vectra as this gave me good scope for midgets and lanky people :wink: )

i was hoping to use the omega column, and a vectra double u/j lower shaft? hmmm Ade, youve got me thinking now, i could dog leg the clutch to the right of the column and have it real close to the brake pedal?
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby viva les vegas » Thu May 13, 2010 11:41 pm

I don't know off hand how much extra work would be involved, but have you consedered an auto instead? It'd make the 3 pedal issue a lot simpler (or should I go hide under my covers again 8) )
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Spence » Fri May 14, 2010 11:28 am

viva les vegas wrote:I don't know off hand how much extra work would be involved, but have you consedered an auto instead? It'd make the 3 pedal issue a lot simpler (or should I go hide under my covers again 8) )

No need to hide Les! thats a good idea apart from i'd need one hell of an auto box for my style of driving! I put my first car (Jag xj6 auto) into a wall because it went sideways, the auto box went up a gear and spun me right out!

once bitten an all that! I prefer manuals anyhoo, autos give the same boring drive everytime :lol:
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby ade » Sun May 16, 2010 9:35 am

You soon get used to an auto box and they are very good for big engines. The Firenza runs a 3 speed auto i wouldnt want it with a manual
Big black and loud lol
ade
GT Viva
GT Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications