A viable transplant?

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

A viable transplant?

Postby Spence » Sun May 09, 2010 8:47 pm

As some of you know, iam kind of having a change of heart regarding the omega V6 iam currently transplanting into my Firenza...

Ideally i want to go the V8 route, and i was thinking of the Lexus/Toyota 4ltr Quad cam V8, does anyone know, or know anyone who knows anything about these engines?

Are they any good? is it likely to fit? or is it going to be way to long? I know they are cheap and plentiful to buy, hell, i can buy a whole ls400 cheaper than the 3ltr omega cost me!

your thoughts and views please?
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: A viable transplant?

Postby SL1256 » Sun May 09, 2010 9:30 pm

The Lexus V8's are quality motors.........but are huge! :shock:
I measured up one a friend has in his unit as i was thinking the exact same thing, they will not fit into a standard viva/firenza engine bay(unless you put the radiator in the boot). If you were willing to go through the whole sva saga then with a bulkhead chop it would fit but width is still a bit tight for exh manifolds.

Steve
'74 HC 4dr - 5.0 SBC V8 *IN PROGRESS*
72 Rover P6 2000SC - Daily hack/project *GONE*
91' Ford Thunderbird 3.8SC aka Chunderturd *GONE*
SL1256
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby lambaj » Sun May 09, 2010 11:37 pm

Also, all lexus V8's are automatic.......not sure if you want an auto.....
You can now get an aftermarket manual conversion kit, but its about £1500. And then you need to get hold of a Supra 6 speed box. ..... not a lot of them lying around unfortunately.
Beautiful engine, but as aready said, its big!

Also the electrics will probably more involved that the V6 you already working on!

Good luck which ever route you choose to go with 8)

Tony (HA21)
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Spence » Mon May 10, 2010 10:18 am

Thanks guys,

funnily enough, i found a website with photos of the engine in question on with dimensions! then promtly went and measured the 'bay, it'd go, but like you say, its bloody wide, and bloody long!! considering its only a baby!

Didn't realise they were all autos either, bummer!

scrub that idea then, dinky chev 350 its going to be, can't beat pig iron, they are so compact! with what ive done allready, it'll make a comfy home right dandy!!!

just got to go looking for a nice one than i can pull down and overhaul over the winter, maybe fettle a little whilst iam poking it about aswell 8)
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby bigwheeler » Mon May 10, 2010 6:43 pm

I am busy putting a rover v8 on mine and ive had to cut the bulk head and transmission tunnel out to do the job right so i would imagine you will have to do the same to fit the chevy lump
Old cars dont die they just get faster
bigwheeler
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Mon May 10, 2010 10:20 pm

Spence wrote:As some of you know, iam kind of having a change of heart regarding the omega V6 iam currently transplanting into my Firenza...

Ideally i want to go the V8 route, and i was thinking of the Lexus/Toyota 4ltr Quad cam V8, does anyone know, or know anyone who knows anything about these engines?

Are they any good? is it likely to fit? or is it going to be way to long? I know they are cheap and plentiful to buy, hell, i can buy a whole ls400 cheaper than the 3ltr omega cost me!

Whats wrong with the V6 Spence ? You have done quite a bit its a pity to change tack right now , from what ive heard the GM v6 is as smooth and strong as any V8 - also its a bit different , and it does look like a pretty engine :wink:
Jon
"Thats a nice looking Capri you got there mate!"
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Spence » Tue May 11, 2010 8:54 pm

Jon-HPF wrote:
Spence wrote:As some of you know, iam kind of having a change of heart regarding the omega V6 iam currently transplanting into my Firenza...

Whats wrong with the V6 Spence ? You have done quite a bit its a pity to change tack right now , from what ive heard the GM v6 is as smooth and strong as any V8 - also its a bit different , and it does look like a pretty engine :wink:
Jon

I dunno Jon, i always wanted, and originally wanted a V8 in there but didn't down to costs and the not so easy to find cheap GM 350's!
I think ive made a boo boo regarding how ive mounted the v6, iam struggling to find a whole for my steering column, because of the cutout provisions for my headers :imsmiling:

I need some clever bloke to come and look at my car and point me in the right direction because iam starting to struggle! V8s have been done before, very few V6's have so theres limited info to help me out of the mud pile...

Bikes are easy peasey, cars are not!
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Tue May 11, 2010 9:09 pm

Yea i was kinda worried all along about the width of this engine with its bits and bobs on..So sorry to hear its stopping progress. :goodluck: :goodluck:
pbottomley

Postby ade » Tue May 11, 2010 9:41 pm

Im contemplating selling the beast shortly so start saving as its already done for you. :)
Big black and loud lol
ade
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lambaj » Tue May 11, 2010 10:47 pm

Take the headers out throught the inner wings. Leaves all the room you could want for the steering ??? I had to do something similar with the V6 essex in my HA. There is only 1/2" between the starter body and the chassis, then an engine mount, then an oil filter, then a radiator...... Absolutely no way to get the pipes in, so went out the rear corner of the inner wing. My problem was then solved, and a managed to get a proper manifold setup in too.
Stick with it mate, you will have all the same problems with the V8, only you will be starting again from scratch, will have a much much heavier lump, a hole in your wallet etc etc......
Cheers and keep the Faith !
Tony (HA21)
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to Modifications