v6 into HC

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

v6 into HC

Postby oldskool » Sat May 15, 2010 10:57 pm

Its been a long long time since I've been on here when i was going to start my project but things happened and problems arose and i never got time to start my project but now I've started!
I've blown off the dust, got the 1256 out and offered up the Essex.
on first glance its looking good, bulkhead and gearbox tunnel look like they will be spared the grinder treatment but the big problem I've run into is the steering column.
the block is very very close and i think if i don't do anything about it there's a change of the column joint getting caught in the engine.
can anyone tell me whether or not a magnum front cross member has a different steering column position? i have a feeling there's something different but not a 100%
also has anyone on here done this conversion before who might be able to answer some questions or has anyone taken and pictures they've seen at shows i may be able to use as a reference?
Thanks for the help in advance!
Marc
oldskool
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: v6 into HC

Postby Spence » Sun May 16, 2010 10:28 am

Hi Marc,

funnily enough, iam struggling with what you are, and i thought it was because iam using the vauxhall v6, lol, apparently not :imsmiling:

where abouts in Suffolk are you?

Spence
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby oldskool » Sun May 16, 2010 7:33 pm

I'm in sudbury and the cars in bures not not far from you at all spence :D
i have seen it done a few times before and apparently it was all the rage back in the 80's so don't worry it can be done but I'm just not sure how :D
oldskool
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Spence » Sun May 16, 2010 9:48 pm

oldskool wrote:I'm in sudbury and the cars in bures not not far from you at all spence :D
i have seen it done a few times before and apparently it was all the rage back in the 80's so don't worry it can be done but I'm just not sure how :D

Not far at all really 8) pop in for a tea next time your this way :welcome:

speak to Tony (lambaj) hes got an essex in an ha!

like they say, anythings doable, it just depends on skill and how deep your pockets are :lol:
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby simon cummings » Mon May 17, 2010 9:14 pm

I had the same problem fitting a cologne v6 in my hc.
I got rid of the rubber joint and used 2 borgeson joints and a short shaft to connect them.
I had to move the column over about 1.5 inches for clearance,but it puts the wheel in a better place anyway.(ie steering wheel not to the left of the seat anymore if you know what i mean!)
One joint is 36 x 9/16" the other is 5/8 x 9/16" then 2 inches of 9/16" coupler.
Not easy to fit the joint on the column because it locates with a grub screw and isn't split with a pinch bolt, so I had to carefully needle file all 36 splines until it would go on. Easy enough on the rack end though.
Worst bit was the price, £85 each joint and £21.50 for shaft all plus vat of course!
Parts came from pop browns.
V6 HC 2.8 INJECTION
65 HA DELUXE
HA 248.
simon cummings
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby lambaj » Wed May 19, 2010 10:31 am

Hello Essex loving peeps...

Well, unfortunately I can not provide any magical hope about the steering connection. I had to do the same thing, move the steering column over about 1.5 inches, and then used some Military spec univeral joints I had kicking about (like you do) and a custom spacer shaft.
I personally am not happy with the strenght these joints give, I always get the feeling I'm going to wring one off on a curb or other low speed parking manouver, so I will be looking to upgrade the joints to something stronger, such as the parts Simon used. I just think I may have a joint diameter problem as well to get round.
Ensure your steering rack input shaft bearings are in top order, the jointed steering column places substantial sideways loads on the bearings. Same goes for the steering column lower bearings.
One thing I will add is the steering weight in my HA is very high. I have very low suspension, a 13" steering wheel, 185/60r13's and a supercharged boat anchor sitting on the front end. I will be shortly playing with camber angles to try to improve matters a bit, and may also change down a tire size or 3. What do people think ? Skinny fronts ? :goodideasign: :?:

Cheers
Tony
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby simon cummings » Wed May 19, 2010 12:17 pm

Borgson were the only joints I could find that did 9/16" one end and 5/8 the other end(of the same joint)
and then the steering rack end is 9/16 both ends. This was necessary because because the column has a different size spline(saginaw column) not sure if this is allways the case though.
If the column is 9/16 then I could have used cheaper joints for about £25 each. these prices are from about 6 years ago though!
I am really happy with the borgeson joints though, top quality and appear to be really heavy duty,think they have proper sealed bearings in them.
As Lambaj says,make sure everything else is ok though because there will be no play in the joints, unlike the rubber joint which is more forgiving. I discovered my steering column was bent a little so I had to straighten it up.
Hadn't noticed it with the rubber one.
And Tony how did you lower it, reversed eye leaf from pop browns?

Cheers, Simon.
V6 HC 2.8 INJECTION
65 HA DELUXE
HA 248.
simon cummings
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby lambaj » Wed May 19, 2010 8:33 pm

Hi,

Yeah, lowering an HA is a bit of game, at least going as low as mine.... I have used a Pop Browns inverted eye spring, but only the main leaf. I built a spring pack using individual leafs from both a deluxe and an SL spring, and also have lowered mounts on the wishbone spring points. Results with the wishbone just kissing the bump stop, so I only have about 2 inches travel, but at least its rising rate !
Rear springs are from an HA110 van, and have been decambered 3 inches. Basically the rear springs are completely straight on the car. Helps with axle control too... + Spax adjustables all round.

Oh, and of course the V6 helps lower it a fair bit !

tony
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby yoeddynz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:46 pm

this is interesting as I want to move my steering wheel across too. I dont like the offset position plus moving it will give me more room for the turbo etc.

I am no on the search for UJ joints.

Have either of you fellas got photos of the mods as I am interested in what you did with the profiled pressed steel where the column currently comes out- did you cut that bit out and flatten the whole panel?
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby simon cummings » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:36 am

Hi, I will try and take a few pics this week for you. Where the column comes out of the bulkhead i cut out that area in a square, then took off the amount needed to move the column across by,from the left side of the square,as viewed from the engine bay, and welded it back in place, then then made a piece up to fill in the missing bit on the right side of the hole,if that make sense? Not sure what vosa will make of it nowadays so make sure it looks like it was always that way and looks factory.
Then inside the car where the column hangs down,drill out the spot welds and reweld the bracked the same amount across as you moved the bottom end over.
Also when using two u/js they need to be in phase,but im not very good at trying to explain this stuff,except to say study the joints on a propshaft as its the same principal.
Also the pedal box and servo setup from the donor sierra was a nice fit for the bulkhead and the pedals hang nicely around the column too.
Pics will make it all clear I hope so check back this week and i should have them on here.

Simon.
V6 HC 2.8 INJECTION
65 HA DELUXE
HA 248.
simon cummings
SL Viva
SL Viva

Next

Return to Modifications