BMW E30 running gear into Viva

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

BMW E30 running gear into Viva

Postby Richfilth » Sun May 23, 2010 8:06 pm

I last had a Viva in 2003, and I'm weighing up a future project of getting another one but transplanting some more modern mechanicals into it. I live in Poland now, and the roads aren't particularly gentle, so I'd like something a bit more robust.

I'm sure I remember reading, in an old classic car mag yonks ago, about a Viva that had the lump from a mid-80s BMW dropped in (probably the 1.8 M40 engine.) I know that "anything is doable" but I'm looking for a solution that will pretty much line up without tunnel-bashing or prop-cutting.. Anyone heard of a BMW lump going in a Viva before, or am I imagining it?
Richfilth
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: BMW E30 running gear into Viva

Postby SL1256 » Sun May 23, 2010 10:24 pm

Cant remember ever seeing a Viva running BMW running gear but as you say........anything is dooable :goodideasign:
First forseeable problem, if you are using a RHD shell then there WILL be issues with space between block/exhaust and steering column as the BMW lumps tend to lean to the right hand side.
Second prob will prob be size of gearbox, from memory they are not small and will need some tunnel&bulkhead chopping to fit :( unless a smaller g/box can be made to fit.

Nothing is impossible, I too had considered the 1.8 lump(among many others) as a replacement in my HC but have settled on the not so loved Ford I4 DOHC as used in late Sierra's but even that isnt a straight forward transplant :evil:

Good luck if you do go that route
Steve
'74 HC 4dr - 5.0 SBC V8 *IN PROGRESS*
72 Rover P6 2000SC - Daily hack/project *GONE*
91' Ford Thunderbird 3.8SC aka Chunderturd *GONE*
SL1256
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Mon May 24, 2010 10:34 am

Whatever conversion is done yo will always need some mods - def a purpose made prop / exhaust downpipes etc .
I considered a BMW set up , but was put off by all the electronics etc . In the end i went for a Suzuki setup , 1300 + 5 speed box from an SJ . Its adequate but for more power im going to change it to the vitara 1600 8v (for simplicity) but theres also the 1600 twin cam plus fuel injection from a vitara , the vitara box is no good (has tranfer built in) but an adaptor plate is available to mate any vit engine to an SJ box , also you will need the SJ sump and rework the oil pick up pipe. Being all alloy , they are quite light and there are plenty of these Suzuki's around .

Current - 1300 Suzuki 8 valve / 5 speed , weber carb - can convert to fuel injection . has electronic iginition already built into dizzy - pretty straightforward to work on :D
[Hosted_Picture]Image[/Hosted_Picture]
"Thats a nice looking Capri you got there mate!"
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Richfilth » Tue May 25, 2010 6:53 am

Thanks for the replies guys, it's nice seeing what the options are. I hadn't even considered Suzuki stuff; from my experience of throwing an SJ around their performance is a bit... sluggish.

My first Viva memories involve revving the nuts off it to achieve motorway cruising speed, and being deafened as a result. I'm looking for an engine/box/diff combo that will allow that. Otherwise I'll get a magnum 1800/2300 and sympathetically modernise the engine instead (possibly fuel-injecting it.)
Richfilth
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Tue May 25, 2010 9:44 am

Richfilth wrote:Thanks for the replies guys, it's nice seeing what the options are. I hadn't even considered Suzuki stuff; from my experience of throwing an SJ around their performance is a bit... sluggish.

My first Viva memories involve revving the nuts off it to achieve motorway cruising speed, and being deafened as a result. I'm looking for an engine/box/diff combo that will allow that. Otherwise I'll get a magnum 1800/2300 and sympathetically modernise the engine instead (possibly fuel-injecting it.)

high revs at motorway cruising was one of the reasons for the change - only really wanted a 5 speed box , but since doing the conversion - i have learned a lot about the various sooki engines/ options .
the current sj 1300 is quite a capaple engine in a viva (5 speed box makes a difference) , and to improve high speed cruising / revs , ive fitted a magnum 1800 axle (better ratio's) .

As i dont like messing around with ecu's and fuel injection etc , im going to replace it (for a bit more grunt) with a vitara 1600 with a 32/36 weber . Basically its the same block as sj , just a bit taller (longer stroke) .

If i had more expertise / confidence , i would gofor the Vitara 1600 16v twin cam with fuel injection , as this , in my opinion is a much smoother and more powerful engine than its given credit for .:D
Jon
"Thats a nice looking Capri you got there mate!"
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Richfilth » Wed May 26, 2010 8:02 am

That's a great suggestion, I'll look into it. The electronics aspect of this stuff doesn't bother me that much; I'm much more confident with that than my ability to chop and weld in a wider gearbox tunnel!
Richfilth
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to Modifications