lowering viva HA

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Re: lowering viva HA

Postby carmad » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:35 pm

:( weres is all these pics ???
carmad
Area Rep

Postby Alexander » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:05 pm

Hi!
Since i dont get any answers in my thread i will try to ask here instead..
If i would remove the leafspring in front, and reinforcing all the brackets (for the shock and the lower arm brackets etc) And reinforcing the lower arm. Then it should work to mount a coilover instead of the original shock? Since it is the lower arm that whould bend and then get broken, it should work if you would reinforce it, right? If thats the case i will get going on it as soon as i can! Just want to know if that whould help, or just "move" the problem.. Atleast it should work a while, and ofcourse i will check it pretty often to see that nothing have gotten bent or cracked or so..

//Alex
Vauxhall Viva HA 1964
Alexander
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lambaj » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:40 am

Hi. If you increase the strengh of the bottom wishbone, then using coil over shocks should be fine. Be aware that you should also increase the strength of the top mount too. Also ensure your inner winf bushes are good as the sus
pension uprights will move under load and the inner wings stop the cross member from bending.
Be careful and you should be ok

Tony
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Alexander » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:14 am

lambaj wrote:Hi. If you increase the strengh of the bottom wishbone, then using coil over shocks should be fine. Be aware that you should also increase the strength of the top mount too. Also ensure your inner winf bushes are good as the sus
pension uprights will move under load and the inner wings stop the cross member from bending.
Be careful and you should be ok

Tony

Ok, thanks. Thats what i wanted to hear! :D
Yes, that was the one i think felt to be in the most need of strengting!
Ok, im not really sure what you mean with inner wing bushes? Is that the bushes that are between the bottom wishbone and "the rest" of the frontend? Im planing to change all the bushes in the frontend if i can find new ones, i read somewhere that you might can find polyflex bushes for the HA? Maybe i remember wrong though, and might not be needed so!
Yes, i will be careful and often check that they havent bent or something like that.

//Alex
Vauxhall Viva HA 1964
Alexander
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby kawasaki kid » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:59 pm

yeah sorry couldnt do it but i have now started a crossflow conversion and will lower it then
kawasaki kid
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Alexander » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:00 am

I have now reinforced one of the lower arms, and will reinforce the other today. But cant reinforce any of the brackets before I have the coilovers at home so i know that they will fit and all. I will measure how long i will need today, then i whould just like to know about what rate and lengt i should have on the springs.. Dont know how to find out that, anyone that knows? :)
I understand that you whould have to test to find the ultimate, but i just want a set that whould be "OK".

//Alex
Vauxhall Viva HA 1964
Alexander
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lambaj » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:09 pm

No easy answer to this, but you can get a good indication:

As a minimum, you need to know the corner weights of the car, the planned ride height, the suspension travel both up and down, the wishbone lengths, the distance from the wishbone pivot to the spring point, and the distance from the pivot to the ball joint, oh, and the effective mounting angle of the spring. With this information you can carry out some maths to calculate the correct spring rate and length to get what you need. There are a few web pages that explain it all, but I have found books to be a much more informative source of information.

tony
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Alexander » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:46 am

lambaj wrote:No easy answer to this, but you can get a good indication:

As a minimum, you need to know the corner weights of the car, the planned ride height, the suspension travel both up and down, the wishbone lengths, the distance from the wishbone pivot to the spring point, and the distance from the pivot to the ball joint, oh, and the effective mounting angle of the spring. With this information you can carry out some maths to calculate the correct spring rate and length to get what you need. There are a few web pages that explain it all, but I have found books to be a much more informative source of information.

tony

Ok, sounds a bit hard to know.. But since this wont be a race car on any way, what whould happend if i whould "guess"? I think it whould be drivable with any spring, and if its way of just buy a new pair, since they arent that very expensive..
But maybe that whould be stupid? :)

//Alex
Vauxhall Viva HA 1964
Alexander
GT Viva
GT Viva

Previous

Return to Modifications