Chevrolet Firenza's/Viva V8's

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Postby TommyDeVito » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:11 pm

Happy New Year to everyone, first of all.

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I can't find anywhere better so here goes. I'd like to find out more about the Chevrolet Firenza - what mods were needed to fit the Chevy small-block and Muncie gearbox in, what axle they had - any technical information at all, really.

I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who is attempting to build a replica or has put a V8 in a Viva or Firenza before.

Any info at all much appreciated.

Cheers,
G.
TommyDeVito

Thanks for the Happy new year

Postby pbottomley » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:15 pm

I am sure their are soem mebers who would give advice.

I think most UK based Viva that had a conversion either went to a Ford V6 or a Rover V* short block V8's are a bit rarer. Lets see if anyone has advice.
pbottomley

Postby kellyharding » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:26 pm

pbottomley wrote:
> I am sure their are soem mebers who would give advice.
>

Plenty of V6/V8 Viva'sabout then? ;)

> I think most UK based Viva that had a conversion either went to a Ford V6 or a Rover V* short block V8's are a bit rarer. Lets see if anyone has advice.

What is a V* then? a Vee-infinity drive?

Kelly

This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club
Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com
kellyharding

Postby lambaj » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:52 am

To the best of my knowledge, there were no UK V8 firenza's. I believe the conversions were done in South Africa using the smallblock V8. A magazine did a feature on one of these cars years ago, but i can't remember if it was the VOC mag, or custom car/street machine. I may have the article, but it will take some finding as its burried in the loft! There was a puker imported V8 around that this article was based upon, it may still be about. Anybody shed any light ?

As for the fit, well, if a rover goes in an HB/HC, then a small block should certainly fit as its shorter. Good luck finding the box...... Maybe an auto ? although that does kinda defeat the object I guess.

Axles, no idea if they were different to the Magnum ones. Expect so, same for the brakes (I hope so!!)

Good luck
Tony 8)
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby TommyDeVito » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:52 pm

Brakes - yeah I'd hope they'd be uprated!!

Thanks, people. Any more info always appreciated.
TommyDeVito

Postby flexbuttcheck1 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:53 pm

the viva,magnum axle would be destroyed with the torque of the v8 the chevrolet firenza can am had a holden axle on it, not sure what model it came from but would imagine it came from a torana, an easier option would be a reliant scimitar axle, correct width, cheap to get hold of,various crown wheels and pinions, and the jaguar powerlock lsd fits in them! the man to talk to about this conversion is john sharp at leicester he advertises in practical performance car!
flexbuttcheck1
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby TommyDeVito » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:51 pm

Fantastic - much appreciated, thanks!
TommyDeVito

Postby xegt » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:06 pm

I believe there's a genuine chevrolet firenza owned by a DSG member might be worth a enquiry
xegt
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby flexbuttcheck1 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:11 pm

the guys name is terry price,and yes he is in the dsg!
flexbuttcheck1
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby TommyDeVito » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:23 pm

What's DSG - Droop Snoot ?
TommyDeVito

Next

Return to Modifications