Chevrolet Firenza's/Viva V8's

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Postby jeff66 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:05 am

But Sid.... If this were to be carried out.. The front end woud need to be modded as well. That makes sense! Not too expensive now days, as for the rear? Probably a ford 9 inch, strong and reliable, or even an 8 inch MUCH cheaper!
What the hell is that?
jeff66
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby jeff66 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:21 am

But then again....

Someone needs to tell me about these little turbo vauxhall engines. I believe they are transverse motors, that you can adapt with a kit to use on RWD cars! As I spend a fair amount of time at the track, I have seen a few of these racing, and performing remarkably well.

Anyone throw some light on these for me?
What the hell is that?
jeff66
SL Viva
SL Viva

Chevrolet Firenza's/Viva V8's

Postby Sid » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:05 pm

As far as I'm aware the fundamental design of the latest Vauxhal twin cam turbo motor's block still dates back to the engine used
longitudinally in the 2 litre Manta and Carlton, so in theory the sump, gearbox, etc. from one of those should make it fit.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

A much cheaper option for a compact 200BHP is the Rover T16 from the 620 turbo. Again this can be adapted to RWD using bits from one
of the Sherpa Van models.
If I was gonna mod another Viva I'd be seriously looking at this option as 620T donor cars can be picked up really cheap if they've
had a bit of a bump as nobody thinks about the potential of that engine.

Sid
Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lambaj » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:56 pm

Same T16 motor in the 220 turbo coupe. Plenty of go, and tunable, (see moto-build), and as Sid says, RWD is viable conversion,.
Vauxhall turbo motor is the turbo version of the XE series as 1st used in the Astra GTE, then turbo'd in Calibra turbos 4x4. Seriously powerful and there is nothing you can't get for them, but not cheap as recognised as potent as Cossy 16V so raced all over the place. Look for Red top motor.
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:15 pm

I've seen a very clean Ford Anglia fitted with an XE engine longitudonally, a very neat conversion and almost standard on the outside, apart from the bright orange paintwork that is.

No-one up for making a roadgoing Baby Bertha then?
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jeff66 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:29 pm

Modify a car?

NOT ME!!!!!! :wink: :wink:
What the hell is that?
jeff66
SL Viva
SL Viva

4x4 XE Turbo

Postby pbottomley » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Driven a few in Full anger before and they are very very fast , I used to test drive at millbrook about 10 years ago and they had a nice Bananna Yellow Cav 4x4 turbo with 6 speed box, if given plenty of laps of the high speed track it would show an indicated 160 Mph, which isnt slow in anyones terms.

the car was written off when someone decided to drive through a Salt water splash just after doing a long high speed run, cracked the block !!! OOPS :roll: cannot think who ?
pbottomley

Postby jeff66 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:06 pm

Oh that is a shame..... You will never know what pic I posted!

Jeff
What the hell is that?
jeff66
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby xwv2300 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:23 pm

Theres a black firenza knocking about with old nail kit and a rover turbo motor (was a photo somewhere from last years performance vauxhall show) ive seen the car and it looks a very neat conversion (uses a power steering rack from a 3 series bmw hooked up to the rover engine too )
Vauxhalls xe has been fitted lots of rear drive cars useing a manta or carlton sump sure theres a HB or HC fitted with one.
Is the omega V6 a viable one to use ?? don`t want a ford V6 may as well buy a capri!!
xwv2300
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Edd_V6 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:41 pm

A V6 into a viva is an easy conversion, and plenty enough power for a road going car.No messing about with the steering which you need to do for a V8 conversion. A V6 or V8 will always sound much better than a tuned up 4 pot.

Edd_v6
Edd_V6
SL Viva
SL Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications