engine stabilizer bar?

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

engine stabilizer bar?

Postby MattyE » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:31 pm

hi all

was wondering if anyone knew if there is a stabilizer bar out there that can be fitted on a slant four? my engine mounts are "past their best" to be polite :lol: will be replacing them with new ones and figured a bar would be a sensible upgrade as the ol slant block gives a fairly hefty kick when starting/stopping and at low rpm - was chatting about it at billing (cant remember who with)

any suggestions are welcome!!

MattyE
1978 Magnum 2300 4dr
1972 Firenza 2300 Sport SL
1999 Saab 93 SE
MattyE
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: engine stabilizer bar?

Postby mork » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:11 am

Hi I have seen a bar on a vauxhall but dont know what make and wondered did he really need one?I have a pair of mounts off a toyota supra a bit lower profile but very hard, try a rubber mount supplier he should be able to match up a harder mount and not need a bar.Mike
TXT321
mork
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:30 am

DTV / Magard used to sell an engine stabiliser bar as a Sportpart accessory - it mounts on the lifting bolts on the front of the inlet side of the head, and the other end bolts to the nearside inner wing.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby MattyE » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:39 pm

thanks for the info peeps :D hadnt thought about seeing if other manufacturers fitted similar but harder / harder wearing mounts that would fit...

I found a picture of the sportpart stabilizer bar, think the best plan is to fab one up myself as it seems a simple enough design - been looking at various bushed bars that could be of use

il post some piccies when its done, not in so much of a hurry as ive now swapped over my engine mounts for some nos ones and its all good for now - although still want to fit the bar prolong the life of the new mounts :)
1978 Magnum 2300 4dr
1972 Firenza 2300 Sport SL
1999 Saab 93 SE
MattyE
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby dann01 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:26 am

My droop has one which is a threaded bar one side and a threaded tube the other. The top end mounted to a bracket off the alternator (Top mounted), and the other to the inner wing on the right as you look at the engine... Have been thinking about something, perhaps less robust, for the 1800, but that's an underslung alternator and the fuel pump is where it would go. :?

It's a little job that could wait for, but if you come up with a spec for and engine brace in your experimentation, maybe you'd share it with the club in the form of a drawing.

Regards
Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Return to Modifications