Viva HB

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Re: Viva HB

Postby Graeme » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:27 pm

I have worked it out then when at the driving height the spring rate/pressure in bag is a bit stiffer than standard. At top height it's obviously going to be well out but it will only be like that at very low speeds.

Also bump stops?!

What are they! ;)

Mine doesn't have them as would of had to have far to small stops to be worth while the front cross member had to be modified so the spring shock played went past the original bump stop height. The rears were just removed! The spring will bottom out long before the car touched with the axle.
Graeme
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Graeme » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:32 pm

So this hasent been updated in a long time.

Well I was in the process of buying a new house so didnt touch this whilst I saved up etc.

It didnt run right for a long time so I tried a few things, new points, plugs, coil, condenser, leads etc. and nothing

Did a compression test and was majorly down on one cylinder. I decided I was gona do something with the engine bay at some point anyway so I stripped it all down which took only a couple of hours. Then after a few months the car was moved to my new house away from my mums house.

Didnt touch it over the winter but recently decided I would crack on with it again.

Took the cover off and have it a good wash first to get rid off all the *Bleep*:

First off removed the gearbox. Not so easy on the floor with sod all room.

Then the engine came out:

Over the past week I have been stripping down the old engine:

And transferring all the bits to the fully rebuilt head and block I found a while back which is a slightly bigger engine cc.

Putting new bits along the lines. New fuel pump, rebuilt oil pump new can chain and tensioner, new water pump.

Spent a bit of time last night timing it all up so should hopefully be all good when it goes back in.
Graeme
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:52 pm

I do hope you have worked out how to fit the DCOE carb and a brake servo :wink: (hint hint)
pbottomley

Postby Graeme » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:03 pm

Also why I was at it tried the front for the airbags. They fit great but can't fit a shock in there so am going to have to try something different.

All old stuff removed: (only pic I can find)

And tried the new bag in for placement:

Shame really as these were very cheap and fits really well. Just a shame can't get a shock in there.

Looking at shockwaves for the front now.
Graeme
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Graeme » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:06 pm

pbottomley wrote:I do hope you have worked out how to fit the DCOE carb and a brake servo :wink: (hint hint)

Ahh hadent thought of that. Taken on board and will look into it. Tbh probably going to use the old carb for now as I want to buy a new dcoe carb and get it all set up but with pending wedding, that's not going to happen. Want to just get it on the road for now. Will have to look at different brake servos or remote servo.
Graeme
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Graeme » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:36 pm

Got more of the engine built up. Waiting on a few bits and looking for what electronic ignition to use so that's why the dizzy is out still.

Pretty much done though. Pretty pleased how its turned out.

Painted a few bits at work. Not going to really all be seen but because I can for free I did.

And got home and fitted them.

Graeme
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbpeter » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:45 pm

Very clean!

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby Graeme » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:23 pm

Thanks. I know the silver isn't original but it keeps it all looking nice and tidy.

Just praying for no oil leaks.

Graeme
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:15 pm

These engines shouldn't leak, as they have rubber oil seals, as long as you banged in new ones all should be well. Key to these engines is exhaust not intake... Make a nice equal length manifold 1.5 inch tops and make sure the exhaust ports are clean.
pbottomley

Postby Graeme » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:09 am

So it was pretty much ready for gearbox on time..

I put the flywheel on, lines up the clutch and then the gearbox just wouldn't slide on.

Thought possibly fouling on something or clutch not fitting but no all good. So too flywheel off and the small brass pivot locating bush had cracked in 2.

Had to get a new one which I'm waiting for in the post. Hopefully be here in a few days and then bolt all together again.

In the mean time thought I would do the easiest ways of getting the engine in and drop the cross member down. All went fine apart from some very tight bolts and brake pipe nipples very tight on. Still got it done and ready for engine to be bolted on.

Got a deadline of under 3 weeks to have it running and mot'd for the show I'm helping to organise.
Graeme
GT Viva
GT Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications