HB + Mazda 24v V6. Now sold and gone to a good home :-)

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Re: HB Viva mazda rotary project

Postby yoeddynz » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:24 pm

I put in some big wire today :D Redid plugs too. All soldered and heatshrinked. I gonna get me some of dem 200 watt bulbs :D
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby viva les vegas » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:20 am

200 Watts?! :shock: each?? the most I've seen (and fitted) was 130W/130W H4's on my Jeep and 130W H1 spotlights. Total of 520W on main beam, looked like daylight, but melted holders, connectors and relays lol. Where you getting the 200's from?
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby yoeddynz » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:09 pm

:D was just joking. But I have installed big wire to run bulbs say 70 watts each or more? not sure as i have yet to reserch whats available here. Any suggestions on good bulbs that fit viva lights would be great. Mine are lucas type units.
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby yoeddynz » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:03 am

picked up these today from sand blasters- widened Victor rims. 6"

They have come up well. Very happy with them. :D Next step paint....
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby oli8925 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:15 am

Looking very nice! What colour? I'm going 6" on Viva steels for mine (look the same?), there's a long waiting list though, hopefully I'm not too far from the front now
1989 Blue Mini 1000 Rebuild
1975 White De Luxe Viva HC
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby yoeddynz » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:14 am

silver rims with black centres- then my shiny hubcaps. The black should hopefully make the hub caps appear to float in centre and make the rims seem even wider :D

Quite excited to say the least.
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby yoeddynz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:35 am

Pretty much done all the wiring now. I have begun the 'list'. I'm sure many of you know what I mean. As I get close to finishing a car I start faffing from one small job to the next and always end up never finishing them for reasons like not having the bits needed etc. So I always end up making a list of remaining jobs to do and parts to get. The list is not too long- in fact the main thing stopping me from starting engine would be lack of air filter/ battery to be fitted in boot and no oils etc in engine/box yet.
I'm struggling to find a pod filter that will fit- I know there will be one out there but I dont/cant pay big K&N sort of money.

I have ordered a fule pressure gauge so I can set up regulator. The Su carb will only need 3psi. I dont want constant flooding.

This morning I spent several hours filing the sharp edges from my widened steels, filling any big dents/marks and sanding them. They now have several coats of filler primer and on thursday I will paint them. Cant wait to fit em!!!
This evening I fitted an HC viva 'organ type' throttle pedal assembly. I then discovered that the cable pull from it wasn't enough to fully open carb so I have chopped and welded up a new shortened cable pull thiingee on the carb...

I now get full throttle. The HC pedal feels nice- much better than the top hinged annoying standard HB one.

I need to mount the new carter pump, filter, malpassi regulator, mount battery box and fill engine with oil. then maybe it'll be start up time ;D
But away for some more hiking in the mountains over next two days
so it will have to wait till thursday...
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby yoeddynz » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:12 am

So today was the big day. My fuel pressure gauge arrived yesterday and I spent last night making a nice wee mount for it. This morning I finished off the fuel lines and mounted the fuel regulator. I also bought some more brake line and made pipe work to my nice new flexy clutch line from mazda- cheap at $20. I went and bought some of BPs finest, mixed in some 2 stroke oil. But that in the tank, checked fuel pump. All good. It was now about 2 in the afternoon. Thought Id better fill engine with some coolent...and then this happened....

I'm pretty sure oil isnt meant to come out of the breather hole when filling radiator up with water. :( :?...

I wasn't as intoxicated off as most would normally be as I already knew when I bought the Rx7 this engine came in that it had popped the rear frost plug after a cold Welsh winter. But I had been hoping that was all that had happened. I called Hannah over and we drained all the fluids in a mad rush before they mixed too much- by this time the sump was full of coolant!

Then I stood there - intoxicated off and just not at all sure what to do- I really was miffed at the prospect of spending even more time on this car when I should be finishing the housetruck. I suggested selling the car- really! But Hannah stepped in and said that would be silly after all thiis work and that she was excited about it being on the road. Should I leave it for a year or tow till we get back from down south?.. Nah- it would only fester. So we both set to work removing the engine...

I'm really hoping its just the water seals between housings and plates. But I fear worse- the water mixed so quickly that I reckon some of the castings may be frost damaged :( The engine came out quickly and easily at least. And it was cool that the wiring is now so sorted that it was like working on a factory fitted engine :D Its now on the work bench less the sump and flywheel.

I'll strip it in the morning and see what the damage is. Then I'll work out what I do. This will be the first Rotary I have stripped so its all new to me. I have always been lucky with my engines and never had any problems till now. I just hope its not bad damage.
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:01 pm

:shock: Bad newz fella. I shall hope its all okay when you look inside :)
pbottomley

Postby yoeddynz » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:46 pm

Thanks paul. The fellas on exile rotorsport reckon its the frost plugs under the front cover. They suggested i fill it with water and see where it flows out. I think they are right has it flowed so quickly that it couldn't be the water seals (think head gasket on a 'normal' motor) which are tightly squeezed between the rotor housings and the cast iron plates...

So heres hoping its just some frost plugs..... :)
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications