HB + Mazda 24v V6. Now sold and gone to a good home :-)

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Re: HB Viva mazda rotary project

Postby yoeddynz » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:24 pm

The little drain goes straight to the manifold just before engine. Yeah I reckon it'll be under boost- bu I guess also it cant lean down or muck up mixture as whats going through the turbo is already mixed. I think its probably a must to have a drain at the low point when running a suck through setup.

See how your xflo goes and we compare notes! Then you can always fit rotary in later date. I liked my xflo but after driving a few smooth rotaries its hard to go back to the harshness of oldschool piston engines. I'm very curious to see how thirsty this engine will be though. My rx3 12a would get 30mpg on long runs which was fine. But this turbo...
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby opelscott22 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:36 pm

Ah I see, the inlet is always going to be at a very slightly lower pressure so it draws any fuel drops in...very clever. How much is fuel over there?, just hit £1.26 a litre here. Fuel economy is a major consideration for me as its nearly always a 600 mile round trip for me to get to a decent show...

Im liking the polishing work you have done on the engine parts. How did you do that? you must have far more patience tham me! 8)

By the way, I saw an elford turbo advertised locally so I went for a look. The ad said it was a restoration project and he wanted offers. The car was rotten, interior was very worn but the car ran well so I offered him £500 and he laughed at me!! I managed to get out of him that he wanted at least £2000!!! I left my number with him though so Ill probably get a call at some point.

Scott
HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:45 pm

£2k MUhahahahaa he is pulling your leg mate....... No one could ask that sort of price with a straight face...
pbottomley

Postby yoeddynz » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:57 am

Yeah that is waaaaaaaay too much for a rotten Elford!!! Its too much for a pretty mint rx7 full stop. Given Elfords are rare now for a good running engine with all the bits I reckon £500 tops. The Elford i wrecked was really very very rusty- the roof was rotten all round, chassis was paper this everywhere. But I did get a bargain as it was a friend selling it and he just wanted the engine to get used since he had rebuilt it!
I sold an Elford engine complete in unknown condition but with out the ecu and solanoids for £500 to a bloke who had a mint Elford rx7. He just wanted to future proof his car by having a spare engine etc.

Petrol has gone up 22c a litre since sept- now at $1.95 per litre on 91oct. Current exchange rate is about $2.09 per £1.

Maybe small diesel engineed Vivas eh?
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby hbpeter » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:37 pm

Diesel is about to hit £6/gallon. Very small diesel engined Vivas!!

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby yoeddynz » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:12 am

Wow- I think it works out at about 67p a litre at the pump here- and then £15 per 1000 kms road user charges for a car. Diesel vehicles are charged RUC's dependent on weight of vehicle here.
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby yoeddynz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:27 am

On Tuesday I thought Id better get cracking with the brakes. First job though once front wheels were off was to swap the bottom suspension arms over. I had made my own brackets for a sway bar - copied some others lent to me. But I fitted the arms back on the wrong side as I thought HBs had the sway bar coming from the front :roll: . So I swapped them accross.

Then started making new lines through out which I always find to be a very satisfying job. Its the first time I have used steel for brake lines and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. On Wednesday morning I tidied up the rear drums and shoes- it looks like the rear axle had been very recently fitted with brand new shoes and wheel cylinders too :D.
Then I finally killed my cheap as silverline branded £10 flaring kit -its done lots of cars and our old bedford truck so was just worn out and had to buy a new kit from Supercheap- much better flares.

I built new handbrake cables all round as the new Magnum axle is a different layout. Luckily my old viva clutch cables were ideal for the job. I built new nipples on the end by very carefully building up welds on the cable and then grinding them down round. Quite satisfying.

Dave (Avengertiger) came over today to help with Viva and get his classic car fix. Cheers man- was wicked and glad to get on the way with remounting the seats! Oh and tempting me and Hannah into wanting a cheap mx5. Such fun.

We bled the brakes- and once done a rear union into slave was leaking. I just couldn't get a spanner on to it anymore as it was recessed in so I took brake line off, cut a slot out of a nut, slipped over the brake line and welded it to the brake fitting. Hey presto - extended reach fitting! :D done up tight and leak be gone. Brakes feel good but wont know till I drive it. Might be a touch soft due to the big 3.3 Victor calipers but they will work well. I could always get the master bored out in the future to the same size as the Victor one.

In the afternoon Dave and I started on new seat mounts following the rules as per the cert standards. 3mm plate that we were having to carefully shape to suit the contours of the floor.

Cant wait till seats are back in place. I will soldier on with that job tomorrow.
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:37 pm

Sorry I am viewing this from work and the pictures are blocked, but quickie comment....

How about using a Serrvo extension tube, like the onesfitted to the HA's that had Disks and Servo's?

Its just a plastic tube which screws on top and extends the capacity of the master cylinder by about 50%

something like this?

pbottomley

Postby yoeddynz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:18 pm

Oh sorry paul- I mean the master cylinder bore size is possibly a touch too small- so brakes will be powerful but pedal feel will be softer. I will know once car is running and servo has vacuum. A friend down south who put a 3.8 supercharged holden V6 in his HB had the same brake setup and he reckoned it was too soft at the pedal so he his master resleeved one size bigger.
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby opelscott22 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:40 pm

Alex, Im mighty impressed with how your getting on with this! Your work is very neat, the engine bay looks lovely!!

When you put the seats back, can you show some detailed pics of how the mounts look? Ive spotted a pair of the same seats but in black, just got to persuade the guy to sell them to me.

Scott
HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications