Rolling along, nothing to see

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Rolling along, nothing to see

Postby pbottomley » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:13 pm

Today I decided it was time for Marvin to unleash his engine and see what all this work has achieved, I booked myself in yesterday and spent a nervous evening checking and rechecking things on Marvin, this morning I got up really early and with the light of a torch rechecked everything yet again. I topped up the fuel and drove over to Northampton Motorsport, the drive was not the best as Marvin decided he wanted to stall at every junction just what I didn't want.

I arrived for 9am and was greeted with a nice coffee and a chat whilst Marvin was strapped down onto the road. We chatted about the basic design of the engine what I wanted and what issues I had seen. We all agreed (well they told me) the jests were to big so it was over fulling on hard acceleration. we decided to roll the car as was to get a graph, then change the jests over and see if we could flatten the lambVt line as there was a big flat spot around 3000rpm.

Net results ? 65.5 bhp at 5800rpm and as I didn't want them to push him any harder than 6000rpm due to clutch slip (and me being scarred) there is defiantly more to come!

Powergraph001 by paul.bottomley, on Flickr
pbottomley

Re: Rolling along, nothing to see

Postby opelscott22 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:24 pm

Well done Paul! Must be great to see the fruits of your labour.

Its pretty terrifying standing next to your own car on the rollers isnt it!!

Are you taking it back once you get the jet swapped out?

Scott
HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:31 pm

Yea in some ways it was scary in others exciting, realised he is noisy at high revs, couldn't hear myself think....

Yes need a new clutch now (or the five speed fitting) and then go back for round two.. :thanx:
pbottomley

Postby House » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:53 pm

65.5! That's quite respectable. Sounds nice too. Mine's been on the rollers twice since i rebuilt the engine and all i could think is "did i torque the big ends up right?" Nail biting stuff but good fun.

Anyway, 65.5 to beat. Bring it on!
House
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:11 pm

I shall see you tomorrow fella ETA 10am.... Coffee white no sugar.. :wink:
pbottomley

Postby hbpeter » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:04 pm

Well done, sounds really good. Nice flat torque curve as well. Maybe another 5bhp when the jets are right?

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby yoeddynz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:39 pm

Looks fantastic on those wheels! nice colour. Sounds good too. :D
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby viva2300 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:12 pm

Thats a good result....5bhp more than the 90 with more in the tank.....i hate rolling roads....when the mini went on there.....they took it to 8000rpm :shock: made 93bhp at 7400rpm :lol:
Is that with a 90 cam Mr B?
S. EAST AREA REP
1972 Viva 2300 SL 4DR
1973 Viva 2300 SL 4DR + one on paper.
1973 Viva 2300 SL EState
1973 Viva 1800 SL 4DR not for long
1971 Viva 1600 SL 4DR AUTO
1974 HP Firenza Droopsnoot

TOO MANY CARS NOT ENOUGH MONEY OR TIME
viva2300
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:19 pm

Yes its a 90 cam, I decided not to use the 285 degree cam an or the barking 315 cam, so happy with what I have got so far..
pbottomley

Postby lambaj » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:30 pm

Nice power curve Mr B. More to come once you get the revs up to closer to 7000rpm.... you power curve has not rolled off, so there is more to come if you feeling brave and fix the clutch...... :D

Ok, for the record, UAS847 make 70.3hp, being reved up to 72mph in 3rd gear. Not sure why the operator used 3rd gear, but I guess it goes not matter when the road can just compensate for the losses in the system. Lambda was about 0.8 to 0.9 once adjusted, and the work on the carb added about 5bhp.

To be honest, I was hoping for more that I got, but in reality, the engine was re-built a long time ago now (about 15 years) and apart from being well screwed together with some trick bits to help it stay that way, it only actually has the big carb, a stage one "home office" porting job, a light head skim, a 1280cc overbore, and a fairly larie cam (295'), oh, and the exhaust. Standard valves, standard ignition (amazing it works at 6500rpm!) and a standard clutch that JUST holds the power (previous clutch, same size, different make slipped). Stock chevette 1256cc makes 57hp, so thats a 23% increase, and of course against the original HA output of 44.2hp, its a 60% increase, which explains why it still feels nippy.....
Got to find the time/money to pull it out, rework the bottom end, up the compression to about 10:1 and get some bigger valves in there. That should help the carb (which in reality is too big) and the cam to respond better.

Just for comparison to modern motors, a Deluxe HA weighs about 720Kg, so 70bhp equates to to just a bit under 100bhp per ton, or the same as a 1998 1.6 Focus (35 years younger!) If I can get to the 90bhp mark, then its 125hp/ton and thats getting respectable modern get up and go. Its so easy to forget how much modern cars weigh. 2.0 focus Ghia, 1250kG, thats 1/2 a ton more than an HA....... so needs about 150bhp to keep with a 90hp HA.... the plan comes together..... :respekt:
I'll not go in the V6... 8)
Tony (HA21)
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to Modifications