Zetec into viva?

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Zetec into viva?

Postby Martyn » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:16 pm

Hi all,
As the weather has begun warming just slightly, it has now become bearable to get down the workshop.
Now my question is, has anynoe succesfully fit a zetec engine into a viva HC, I really woud like some advice on how this is achieved. First problem I see is that sump fouls the crossmember and steering rack, not allowing me enough space to get the engine back far enough. Any solutions out there?

Help is much appreciated
Cheers
Martyn
Martyn
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Zetec into viva?

Postby pbottomley » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:34 pm

Martyn, the answer is simple, make all the parts yourself and fit them... I know thats a short answer but in truth that is the actual answer.... No one has the parts on a shelf for you to order, so its all home fabrication, trial and error... :goodluck:

Keep us updated....
pbottomley

Postby Martyn » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:28 pm

Thought that may be the case! I'll find a way.
In fact, I know that I will have to make lots of the parts myself, just wondered if anyone had done it before and had any solutions to any problems that may occur? So my question remains open.

cheers
Martyn
Martyn
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby yoeddynz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:19 am

Hiya,

I think that making sumps is a pretty easy thing to do and means you can really place the engine much easier then make sump to suit. Would be a good engine to fit- cheaper than redtops eh? :D
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby SL1256 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:49 pm

Not sure if there is an aftermarket sump avalible but eitherway would expect to have to cut it up to fit :(
The other prob will be the thermostat unit on the rear of the head(closest to the bulkhead), you can either buy a conversion piece that moves the thermostat to a more suitable location(but apparently costs alot) or make sumat up yourself.

Or for a possible fraction of the price of fitting a Zetec you could fit a DOHC I4 out of a Sierra................ :wink:
'74 HC 4dr - 5.0 SBC V8 *IN PROGRESS*
72 Rover P6 2000SC - Daily hack/project *GONE*
91' Ford Thunderbird 3.8SC aka Chunderturd *GONE*
SL1256
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby House » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:28 pm

If your able to do it yourself then do it. Nothing more satisfying. I had one of these in my Anglia a while back and it moved very well. I used a 1800 CVH sump off a Sierra but i cant remember if it bolted straight up. This was before the days of aftermarket goodies and these guys http://www.retroford.co.uk/ so everything was hand built including the dizzy setup which was also CVH and belt driven off the exhaust cam.

Beware of the passive anti theft system Ford use on the standard ECU though. Cut a wire and shorten it and it wont start. Another reason we went this route.

Excuse the arrows, i was trying to explain it to someone over the net.

House
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Po79 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:49 pm

Sump wise house is correct with the CVH 1.8 sumps. Thats if you a can find one as just about everyone doing Zetec rwd convertions have been using these for years now so they are getting harder to find and more expensive.

You may still need to cut it back and big wing it but that doesn't take much.

You'll need a water rail to give you room at the back between the head and the bulk head, unless you don't want to keep your heater unit then you can just chop the bulk head back to make room. These are a little over £100 to buy but I have seen home made jobs that cost next to nothing and are quite simple to make.

Rather than using a dissy I would look at megajolt units if you going to use carbs or megasquirt if using injection.

Use a Ford type 9 gearbox as this is much simpler to fit that the MT75 gearbox unless you want a really strong gearbox then the MT75 is the one to go for.

Other than your mounts and wiring its all pretty streight forward (or should be :lol: ).

Po.
Last edited by Po79 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Po79
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:50 am

Basically confirms mt first post, DIY.... :goodluck: let us know how it goes.

One work of caution.... please please don't start it, cut up the bulkhead then give up as its too hard and scrap the cars... god knows how many of them have gone to the scrap yard due to plans being to big for wallet and skill level. I have done that and reformed my ways.... There are lots of skilful people about so always ask for help.

:thanx:
pbottomley

Postby Po79 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:39 pm

pbottomley wrote:.... There are lots of skilful people about so always ask for help.

Couldn't agree more, Viva peoples are always willing to help other Viva peoples so never be afraid to ask for a little help. You'll be suprised how many will live local to you, I thought I was one of the only peolpe in my area to own a viva cos I never saw any being driven around but theres bloody loads of them all around me.

Cutting the bulk head was the only mod I didn't want to do but it had to be done, it was quite simple to do really just made a dished panel to go in but I enjoy welding and have worked for restoration companies in the past so I don't get myself into to much trouble.

If your skills aren't up to the job stop, think and find someone to help or do as much as you can yourself and then find a local restorer/machanic to do those fiddly jobs that way you can keep the costs down.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Po.
Po79
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Martyn » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:57 pm

Great replies guys, Cheers :D

I have sorted the sump problem and bought one of RetroFords rear bowled sumps. Yes its going to have the type 9 fitted - have all parts now, redrilled flywheel, dirt plate, pinto clutch and spigot, plus other little things.
Will be checking this water rail thing out soon, it may be a must!

I've been working on this car for 4 years now, when time has allowed, Never could I trash it!
Martyn
SL Viva
SL Viva

Next

Return to Modifications