speedo cable to fit my car

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

speedo cable to fit my car

Postby billy_bunter » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:45 pm

I have had a quick search on the site for info on speedo cable modifications... and could not find much info. I was wondering if someone could help me out with my speedo cable problem:

The HC Viva I have has a ford type 9 box fitted. The gearbox end is a circlip fitment to hold the speedo to the box. The speedo end is standard vauxhall (as far as memory serves) with the knurled nut to hold it to the back of the speedo.
The previous owner has fitted a standard Vauxhall cable, I think! Which has a knurled nut at both ends. He has made a clamp to hold this to the ford box. It seems not to work at all and I was wondering if anyone has solved this problem with a standard cable from the ford or GM range?
billy_bunter
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: speedo cable to fit my car

Postby House » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:25 am

I cut and shut a Viva and Capri cable. Made up a sleeve and brazed the 2 inners together. Then just clipped a piece of pipe over it.
House
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby grp2viva » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:47 pm

Came accross this site while looking for something else

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~lynsand ... ission.htm

Apparently Mk3 Cortina is the one to go for, but as the guy says, He hasn't tried it himself yet.

Darren
grp2viva
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby raplma » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:09 pm

If you can't find something off the shelf try these guys
http://www.speedycables.com/

I've used them a couple of times during kit car resto's where anything is connected to anything, the best combination I've had so far was a Fiat 132 gearbox to Jaguar MkII speedo, Speedy Cables came up trumps, both in time and value.

Just let them know what's at each end and the length. They can re-calibrate many speedo's too.

Mark
It's a Viva Jim just not as you knows it . . . well it used to be it's now a Sylva Star kit car
raplma
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby ADRIAN » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:27 am

And just a "hint", - if you need a speedo cable for a Viva GT which is not listed by any cable makers anywhere, order a cable for a Viva HC GLS (7dial instruments) these are a perfect fit.
Adrian
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Modifications