Hb OHV to OHC conversion

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Re: Hb OHV to OHC conversion

Postby Retro morgs » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:17 pm

Now that's the sort of info i'm after! :D That'll get me started with sourcing parts :thanx: Meanwhile,if anybody that reads this has any of the parts mentioned please get in touch!
68 HB bitza,72 HC 1159 Deluxe,74 HC 1800 SL auto,74 FE Ventora,94 2.8 Frontera
Retro morgs
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby tony west » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:14 am

Nearly forgot ......you will have to also swap the front to rear brake pipe to the drivers side .
Whilst you are at it I would recommend you fit an HC split type master cylinder, at least in the event of brake failure you would still have half a system !. As for a servo you can use an HC type as its probably more available but either way you will need HB servo mounting brackets.
If you use the HC one you will need to slightly file out the holes on the HB brackets as the bolt centres are different. The servo being larger will also be a very snug fit against the inner wing, but it does fit ....without a large hammer being applied to the inner wing , despite any stories you may hear. Lastly if you do use the split type master cyl ...the pipe connections are metric ....yes it caught me by surprise as well !.
Cheers Tony.
tony west
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Retro morgs » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:36 pm

Right well i've now got the car home and it looks a lot more solid than i thought so i'm well happy! Didnt get any photo's of it today as it was peeing down when i got it home so i just chucked it in the garage and shut the door! I wont be able to do it tomorrow either as i am at a show with the Hc. Hopefully monday will be ok and i'll drag it out, take pics and maybe even start work on it! :D
Retro morgs
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby GTpete » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:13 pm

HC OHC x members are similar to mk2 GTs but have thicker rear chassis arms. In the HC the engine is
positioned closer to the rear so you will need to lenghten the HC engine mount brackets or find a late GT or 1600 ohc brackets. Gap b/t water pump and rad is tight in the HB. GT anti roll bar were shaped to clear the sump, HC ones are straight, so you will need to space the brackets for clearance. Remember its more difficult to get DVLA to change details on your log book, so worth checking what they need to have from you before you start your project...out of interest I have seen/been involved in several HB transplants ie Ford V6, Lotus 16v Healey, Chevy V8, Ford 16 gt and Rover V8....
Last edited by GTpete on Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GTpete
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Retro morgs » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:24 pm

Thanks for the info,much appreciated. I am very concerned about what you said about dvla tho,what sort of things are they likely to want? :shock:
Retro morgs
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:16 pm

Loads of good advice available on ACE worth emailing them for details about your options and considerations when converting a car to a different specification.

(Be aware ACE are having email issues due to spam at the minute :x )

Remember its more difficult to get DVLA to change details on your log book, so worth checking what they need to have from you before you start your project

True the DVLA needs to be informed of all changes to the car, along with your insurance company, but be aware you will get flagged almost certainly for a BIVA, due tot he possible changes that will push it past the 8 point score system the DVLA use.
pbottomley

Postby Retro morgs » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:26 pm

What does that mean to me then? Will it have to go for checks etc at vosa or will they be requiring documentation that i prob wont be able to produce?
Retro morgs
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:44 pm

It means to you that you need to ask ACE about what your options are.... :goodluck:
pbottomley

Postby Retro morgs » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:50 pm

Hmm,might just sell it and start saving for a GT.....
Retro morgs
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:56 pm

Mate just making you aware of the so called LAWS.... Loads of people have converted there cars so don't get despondent, just making you aware of possible issues. :D
pbottomley

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications