Smurf - 1256 to 305

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Re: Smurf - 1256 to 305

Postby viva les vegas » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:23 pm

I now have 3-6 months off work because I had my long awaited shoulder op on Monday. Not sure how much I'm going to be physically able to do with one hand. Rebuild one of the gearboxes maybe? Anyone played with auto internals before? I sure haven't.
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby viva les vegas » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:29 am

Just a quick one, because of my op, I haven't been able to do very much at all :-( I've rechecked the timing on the V8 and found that although the leads were in the correct order, they were going the wrong way around the dizzy, oops. I've now sorted that, and the correct fuel pipe from the pump to carb is now fitted. The new dipstick looks good, but the tube was 8" too long, so a friend has shortened it so the stick actually protrudes from the end of he tube now :-) I had a hell of a battle to get the sump bolts in, so I think I'll try and get some dowel and nuts, even if its just for the four corners. I've been "forced" to buy a new generator because my original one just doesn't want to work, but as Machine Mart had a VAT free day recently, I took advantage and bought a 2.8 Kw one :-) There was a random gathering of people I went to college with, and a few drunken promises of help to get Smurf finished. As yet, my time off hasn't coincided with theirs. Hmm, that looks a bit of a ramble, sorry. I'll be down the garage on Saturday, so fingers crossed I can make better progress. Also had a thought while reading CC on standby yesterday: wonder if there's any space up at the airport seeing as its now not being used. There were some people in one of the articles that were at their airport for pics.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby viva les vegas » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:15 am

Hi guys, haven't been on in a hell of a long time, mainly because of work and being tired. I haven't sat completely on my laurels, I've decided for the time being to get an auto box that's actually complete, so a few months ago I collected a GM TH400, which is a 3 speed. I also managed to acquire an auto shifter for next to nothing. There was also a set of alloy wheels I found on eBay for £30, so had to get them. They were a little scabby looking, so I've tarted them up a little. They were originally diamond cut with some black inserts, but I've done them "normal" alloy silver with Aqua Starmist inserts. Perfect? No. Reasonable? Yes. Gotta work out what size rubber to fit on them at some point, as not sure the racing slicks will fit :-)

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby hbpeter » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:22 pm

Ahh so you are still on the planet then, begining to think you had fell off!
Welcome back. Lets see pictures of the wheels then.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby viva les vegas » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:11 am

Haha, nooo, can't get rid of me that easily ;)
It's been a while since I've done links, but fingers crossed this works: new wheels
If that doesn't work, let me know, and I'll use a proper computer instead of my phone to upload them. Basically, I took some during and after shots, but no before shots. The shifter in those few pics is just resting roughly where I think it will end up. It's ratcheting one that's currently set up for a 3 speed, but appears capable of shifting a 4 speed, just by removing a one bolt.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby hbpeter » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:59 am

Wheels look good, not sure if they will suit a Viva, but thats personel choice. Shifter looks spot on where it is.

Peter
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby viva les vegas » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:38 pm

They're not the wheels I want permanently, just as a fill in until I can locate the ones I really want, which are 14" X 5" steels. These are 15" X 7" or 7.5". I think they'll go, but with rubber band tires, and the slight lift I want.
I've not got any photos yet, but I've been mocking up a replacement headlight idea, using projector style units. Idea is to have them fit in the regular square light's housing, but have more easily available bulbs. I've got two different types of unit, one is supposed to be an H1 fixed dip, and the other is an H1 HID bi-xenon which I'd like to try to modify to fit normal H1's. One mock-up is one of each, and the other I currently have is dual bi-xenon. Before I get pics, what would initial thoughts on appearance be?

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby viva les vegas » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:33 am

Ok, here are a few pics of the projector idea, without the mock-up backing pieces, as it takes a while to set them up:
the two bi-xenon units
single bi-xenon unit (I think it looks a little lonely)
bi-xenon with a fixed dip. If I did this one, I think I'd use an LED bulb in the black one, and use it as a daytime running light.
Thoughts? Have I reached a new level of madness?

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby hbpeter » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:40 pm

The first photo looks best to me. Need to fill in the gaps with something though.

Peter
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby viva les vegas » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:35 pm

Yeah, think I prefer the twin bi-xenon look too. So far, the back bit has only been mocked up in cardboard, but hoping I can make them out of steel, and have them mount to the original light mounts. Probably try a bit of vacuum forming so there aren't any apparent gaps between them. Thinking of taking a mould of the original glass, and making a one piece cover for them. We shall see what happens :-)

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications