HB alloy fitment

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

HB alloy fitment

Postby Optimus » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:15 pm

Is anybody able to advise me on alloy wheel fitment for our HB?

Though it doesn't seem out of the ordinary to fit minilights to Viva's I can't find a definitive answer to manageable offset.

I am looking at 13x7; 101.6 pcd; ET-7 with 185/60/13 tyres (in other words mini wheels, but with tyres for a Viva). I'm confident with the rolling radius but don't want to mod the bodywork in any way. The wheel seller is not committing, but is saying the wheels may stick out a bit, which is definitely not the sort of thing I'm looking for, just want a slight tweaked look that I might have done to the car in my youth in the 70's.

The wheels are ready, sitting on a pallet at the supplier just waiting for a phone call from me........ I hope someone can help.

Thanks,
Optimus
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: HB alloy fitment

Postby Retro morgs » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:07 pm

I'm not sure how much space difference there is in the arches between hb and hc but i fitted 13x7 -7 revolites to my hc and all i had to do was tweak the lower valence. Altho that prob could've been avoided by changing the tyre size. I see you are in essex,i am only in kent and as my old hc is still living down my road i'm sure if you came over in the hb we could try the wheels on for fitment before you buy anything. :D
68 HB bitza,72 HC 1159 Deluxe,74 HC 1800 SL auto,74 FE Ventora,94 2.8 Frontera
Retro morgs
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby oli8925 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:30 am

What tyres did you have on it Nick?

I cant say I know anything about the geometry and clearances on an HB, but I don't think you could fit 13x7's with 'proper' tyres on without knocking the valence, inner arch and/or inner wing a bit. A big problem with the Mini 13x7's is the offset too.

I run 13x6 Mini 'Sportspacks' et+23 on mine with 175/70 tyres, i think they're a mm or two smaller rolling radius than the original steels and I spent ages mocking up and calculating to make sure they'd clear. The offset is perfect for the rim to be as close as possible to, but not hit, the lip in the top suspension arm, the same as the steels, and they fit perfectly. They're very close to catching, but just don't. So I'm confident that the 13x7 et-7 wheels I used to run wouldn't have a chance with proper tyres (they had 195/45 as they came off my Mini). All that said, I am 2" lower than standard, which will change things, but how much I don't know. I still think you'll hit the valence and inner arches/wing on lock. :goodluck:

I think Steve has 13x7s on his standard height HC though and runs 185/65 possibly. Don't know if they're Mini or different offse though.
1989 Blue Mini 1000 Rebuild
1975 White De Luxe Viva HC
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Optimus » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:31 am

Thanks for the quick reply's.

So it looks like the 13x7's are out.

Retromorg, thanks for your very kind offer. I can't take it up unfortunately as the car's not on the road yet, one of the things that needs to be done before it has it''s first MOT in about 10 years is to get a set of legal tyres on it.

Sounds like the 13x6 route would be better, and I would like to drop it by perhaps an inch sometime in the future so I need to keep all of the possible rubbing places in mind.

The seller has 13x6 with a choice of ET 23 or 16. oli8925 I see you used ET23, what way would the ET 16 push the wheel?

Thanks, Paul
Optimus
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby oli8925 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:44 pm

Et16 would I think push the wheel out more giving it more dish. So you'd have another 7mm poking outwards if you see what I mean. This might just about clear all metal but I couldn't be sure, the outer edge of the tyre will certainly be closer to catching.

The way I mocked it up was to cut some strips of cardboard and stick them to the steels. I bent the cardboard to get the right profile and so that they would stick out as far as the new wheels + tyres would. This should show it better

So I had 4.5" steels with 11mm back space. 6" ET23 also has 11mm back space (roughly) so I had to bend the cardboard to the same profile as the tyre wall and have it sticking out by 1.5". With ET16 they will need to stick out 1.5" + 7mm. Not sure if any of that makes much sense or helps you, if not, ignore it. It also depends what steels you have, I think HB and HC might be different.

Anyway, this gave me an idea and showed that it would be very close
So it doesn't look like there's space for another inch in there.

As I said though, I don't know what the HB is like, I know it has a narrower track, but probably a slightly narrower body to go with it.

This shows how to calculate offset, although there may be better websites out there. Just use google.
https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:13 pm

Don't forget under load in corners the front of the car is also liable to compress, that inch of space you have might just become zero.

:goodluck:
pbottomley

Postby Optimus » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:57 pm

Thank you everyone for input so far, oli8925 great detail and very clear. If I can keep my credit card in my pocket I think I'll be cutting up a cornflakes packet on Saturday.

Without resorting to the cardboard it seems to have narrowed down to the 6x13 ET 28 wheels, though I'm still not sure whether to go for 185/60 or 175/60. I think the 185 is nearer the correct diameter, but the 175 would be about 1cm less in diameter giving me a bit of extra room for manouvre (when under load in corners, such as mentioned by Paul) without looking like it was on toy wheels.

Any further input gratefully received, I'm itching to get my credit card out now I've decided to take the plunge, ..........not sure if I can make it to the weekend
Optimus
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby oli8925 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:44 pm

The cardboard trick is quite a good tool. My tyres are within pretty much the same tolerances as the cardboard showed.

185/60 does look good and should give you enough clearance whatever the circumstances so don't think you need to drop to 175. I decided on 175/70 as I wanted the chunky look and wanted the same rolling diameter as the original wheels. After years of using the Mini wheels I was sick of having the speedo 13% out.

So think carefully about tyres sizes, it can really affect the way the car drives and cruises especially, and can have quite an effect on ride height. Eg. the Mini wheels were equivalent to a 1.5" drop or something similar.

This is very useful for that
http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

As for clearances reducing under braking and cornering, that was also something I was really worried about and took a chance on. Luckily, mine don't catch at all no matter how much I throw it about. Then again I have very little suspension travel :roll:

And before I forget, you say ET28 wheels? Not ET23. Make some very careful measurements as 28 will bring the inner edge of the rim 5mm closer to the lip on the top arm, and on mine I don't think I have 5mm to spare. Remember the gap closes slightly when the wheels are turned too.
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Optimus » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:42 am

You're right, it's et23, I just wasn't concentrating. :oops:
Optimus
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby yoeddynz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:34 pm

Ask Opelscott- send him a PM. I'm pretty sure he has run Mini spec offset wheels on his HB. 13x7 with either 185/60 or 175/60. I think he had to just lightly roll his front arch lips. Check with him. :)

My widened steels stick out a fair bit- they are 13x6 but probably have a similar offset to about maybe et7. I never bothered to check. I just lightly rolled the arch lips.
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to Modifications