Viva Spax shocks - what will fit?

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Re: Viva Spax shocks - what will fit?

Postby Graeme » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:30 pm

Ago do them aswell. That's what I have. Something like 20 point adjustable aswell
Graeme
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby double-dave » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:59 am

Ooo, yes - very intrested! Unless I'm too late - haven't been on here for a while...

Now checking the for sale section.
double-dave
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby double-dave » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:31 pm

ADRIAN wrote:Spax shocks are really horrible things, only two adjustments, Very hard or very soft. The Spax shocks are poor quality still living on their "Spax" name only. Best shocks to use are GAZ, - you'll find they are top quality and cheaper too...... Adrian

Thanks Adrian - top tip.

oli8925 wrote:Adrian, do GAZ do Viva shocks? I called them once and they denied all knowledge and have never found them.

Funnily enough - they do now! I had a successfull bit of google-fu yesterday and found a link for GAZ shocks for a Magnum.

http://www.gazshocks.com/images/PR%20Me ... Damper.pdf

- so I emailed GAZ direct and asked them if the £55 price plus VAT is correct, and if they would make me some front shocks of I gave them dimensions - and they cam back with this>>>

Hi Dave, We list dampers for the front & rear of the Viva Magnum, they are £50.00 each + carriage & vat.

So - ultra result. £50 a corner plus VAT and P&P front and back - very reasonable I would have thought. I've messaged the guy get a supplier name and part numbers. Once recived, I'll start a new topic and spread the word.
double-dave
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby oli8925 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:00 am

Not a bad price at all. Not much more than I paid for basically standard spec KYB oil shockers. I had a thought the other day, maybe I was just talking to the wrong person (a sales person) and I said 'Viva' while they were listed under 'Magnum', the sales person not knowing to make the link. Or maybe they asked the engine size and said they had nothing for a 1256 Viva... Who knows
1989 Blue Mini 1000 Rebuild
1975 White De Luxe Viva HC
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Painter an » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:01 am

I have gaz adjustable shocks on my viva gt will fit magnum,firenza,hc etc makes big diff on car :D
Doug
Painter an
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby oli8925 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:41 am

I assume they would be differently spec'd for an OHC though, at least on the front as there's a lot of extra weight and a different spring weight to damp.
1989 Blue Mini 1000 Rebuild
1975 White De Luxe Viva HC
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby GeorgeG93 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:19 pm

And what springs would people run with these? I'm guessing for a whole kit it's looking like £400 once springs are sourced?
GeorgeG93
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby double-dave » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:23 pm

The springs I'm using are lowering springs made by an Engineering firm in Yorkshire - he makes them to your spec (amount of 'low' you want 8) ). From memory they were about £200 notes plus postage and took an age to arrive - but worth every penny - much better than the original hacked up front springs and the rear springs which were from a Corsa B.

Had a reply back from GAZ today who said they are available from them direct - including VAT and postage, it's £253.50 for all four corners. Granted that's a 3rd of what I originally paid for the whole car - and with the springs that makes the whole package about £500 - but you know......don't tell the misses and everyhing is OK.

Re 1256 shocks - I would have thought that they would be fine - as they are adjustsable anyway so you can soften them up - especially if you are running springs to suit the car.
double-dave
SL Viva
SL Viva

Previous

Return to Modifications