2.0 ltr 8v engine swap

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

2.0 ltr 8v engine swap

Postby bobblehead006 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:32 pm

Hello all. I have taken my 1256 motor out of my viva and have aquired a 2.0. ltr 8v calibra motor and have a type 9 5 speed sorted to match up. Was wondering if any of you wizzards are aware of a straight swap for another sump to fit this motor to sit it in place. Has any of you guys have any knowlage of this conversion please fill me in i.e. does another sump fit to place the motor and can i get away with knocking the bulkhead about a bit? I am prepared to slice the sump about, but a quick heads up with a straight alternative would be grand..
bobblehead006
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: 2.0 ltr 8v engine swap

Postby oli8925 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:02 am

Something about a Manta sump rings a bell. It's the right shape or shallower or something, but I could be wrong. Pretty sure you'll need to cut the bulkhead and to some extent the gearbox tunnel. Remember the further back you push the engine the better the weight distribution and the better the handling. So while you may be able to squeeze it in with little work to the bulkhead and a very thin radiator, the handling will be seriously compromised, and redtops aren't light engines either.
1989 Blue Mini 1000 Rebuild
1975 White De Luxe Viva HC
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby slammed 66 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:51 am

The 1.8 manta sump fits to the 2.0 xe for rwd applications but are hard to find and expensive now. Not 100% but should imagine it fits the ohc engine aswell.

A fella on retro car club fitted a 1.6 from an Astra and if I'm not mistaken used a Carlton sump. I'll have to check on that but it rings a bell.

Ross

66 VW splitscreen
72 Vauxhall viva
76 Vauxhall viva coupe 1.8 turbo
76 Datsun 260Z
89 Silvia Turbo x2
90 Daihatsu Charade GTti
90 Toyota Supra Turbo
90 Nissan Skyline GTR
slammed 66
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby bobblehead006 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:31 pm

Cheers chaps i'll look into that manta / carlton sump. Have to admit i was curious about a carlton or frontera sump. I understand what your saying in relation to the engine possition haveing affects on the handleing, But i have concerns over playing to much with the bulkhead / tunnel as i don't want to fall fowl of the possible new rules about Q plates. I don't know if anyone is sure how this is going to end . I have to get more upto date info on it. thanks all. :thanx:
bobblehead006
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:12 pm

possible new rules about Q plates.

ironically the rules have not changes for 27 years!! its just that with computerised systems cars are being picked up more often, the DVLA have done no favours on themselves over this due to lack of public knowledge.

More on this can be found over on the very helpful ACE website.

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/chassis-and-monocoque-modification/ :goodluck:
pbottomley

Postby bobblehead006 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:08 am

Thanks for that, i've read it and get the point now....Typical of vosa with their answers, they seem quite rigid about the bulkhead eh? I have to admit, i'm not their biggest fan. What with being a hgv driver on distance! lol. Many thanks any way. :thanx:
bobblehead006
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby opelscott22 » Sat May 12, 2012 9:03 am

The 2ltr 8V OHC will fit in a HC without any mods to the bulkhead. A manta 1800 sump, pick up pipe, engine mounts and gearbox will all fit. With the XE you have issues with the coolant pipe at the rear of the head touching the bulkhead. The 8V doesnt have this so is a nicer fit.
If you want to fit your type 9 you will need an adaptor bellhousing, hybrid clutch and ford release bearing.

None of these parts are cheap now and makes for an expensive conversion. Having said that, if you retain the injection it will make a quick reliable car thats not too heavy on juice. 8)

Your right to be wary of bulkhead/ tunnel mods, Ive hear stories of VOSA inspectors going round car shows checking cars against the database...
HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby steve_1984 » Tue May 15, 2012 7:57 pm

Alot of people make there own sumps, as seen here:

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=readersrides&action=display&thread=80028&page=9

I'm pretty sure the carlton sump would fit it as they are basically the same engine, the frontera may also be an option as again, its the same motor, I needed a cambelt cover for my nova 2.0 8v and ended up using the frontera one.

But these engines are becoming harder to find in scrapyards so if you can make your own, go for it.

Be interested to hear how you get on as this is the swap I want for my 1256.
1968 HB Deluxe :D
steve_1984
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby bobblehead006 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:52 pm

Well I got the engine block coupled upto the bell housing to dummy it up for mountings and sump measurements. Got a mate doing the welding on the sump, luckily there is not as much to do on the sump as I originally thought. Got bell housing from r.w.d. Of colne near Blackburn. Will be going back ago in for the steel flywheel they do. It,s lightweight and is made to fit the vauxhall crank but has the clutch bolts in position for a complete ford clutch so no hybrid needed. The bolts are already in the flywheel for the clutch. The flywheel is £193 and the bellhousing was £160.
bobblehead006
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Modifications