Avon Safety Wheels

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Avon Safety Wheels

Postby vauxhallbitz » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:11 pm

Just picked up a set of these for my Viva E, the original paint is still on them but a bit tatty and requires to be removed, has anyone any experience in doing this, I was going to try Nitromors but don't want to damage them?

1958 CA Bedford Dormobile (Porthole)
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
1975 Vauxhall Viva E Coupe
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: Avon Safety Wheels

Postby droopsnoot » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:51 pm

I've never had success with anything to strip the centres, just rub them down and paint over the existing surface with any filler or whatever as required. It must be possible to strip the centres, but if it's in reasonable order better to leave it as the basis.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Graeme » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:29 pm

Really depends what finish for all your going for. You can get then filled for around £15 a wheel. Then can polish the outer rim and then paint the Center or how ever you want to finish them in.
Graeme
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby vauxhallbitz » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:24 pm

Thanks for that, what do you mean by filled? My intention was to get them blasted and then powder coated black in the centre but I was not sure if blasting them would damage them????
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby dann01 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:05 am

I believe Fred has experience of this, had some wheels blasted and they sufferd severe pitting which he had to smooth out. I must admit, I'd be interested to know, I have 2 sets of Avons I want to renovate at some point.

Fred, you out there.

Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby Firenzaboy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:12 am

I think Bead-blasting rather than shot-blasting is what you want for alloy wheels.

Glass bead is a bit more gentle than alum oxide :lol:
1971 Vauxhall Firenza SL in Orange
1975 HP Firenza Droopsnoot
Firenzaboy
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:53 am

As I recall it, they're not very smooth underneath the original centre covering, only polished originally around the outside. I think that even with glass bead that wouldn't alter, so you'd still have quite a job to get a smooth surface, that's why there's so much on the centre to start with. Would power-coating be worthwhile, over a good quality paint applied well? Perhaps the powder coating company would advise, I would be interested to hear what you find.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby vauxhallbitz » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:24 pm

I think that the centres are certainly rougher than the rims but still look good when stripped back. I have not tried Nitromors yet but have a friend who has stripped a set with it and they look fantastic unpainted. I may just go for that look just now and see how they stand up to use.
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Graeme » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:31 am

Just re read my post. Phone auto corrected it to say filled instead of dipped. Can get them dipped which takes it back to bare metal. Then paint the Center and polish the outer.

It should be a smooth Center. They are cast wheels so the mould should of been pretty smooth. Any dipping company will dip them or a company like pristine wheels will do it all for around £60 + vat per wheel for dipping polish and paint.
Graeme
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby michaelmate » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:32 pm

My spare is unpainted , possibly been blasted and i can confirm that the centres are indeed , quite rough !
Projects........Projects........Projects!
HC 391
michaelmate
GT Viva
GT Viva

Next

Return to Modifications