GT brake upgrade

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

GT brake upgrade

Postby v8jim » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:46 pm

Is there an easy-ish upgrade using bigger disc and calipers off of more modern cars I'm sure some of you on here must have experience with all sorts of brakes so is there one option that's the best/simplest mod?

I need to stop this
v8jim
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: GT brake upgrade

Postby oli8925 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:17 pm

This/last months Retro Cars mag featured a Viva fan for their lockup section. He had loads of modified HBs and said he'd done all sorts of different combination of brake upgrades. Can't remember what his name is now, but does anyone know of him/if he's on here? I'd love a bit of info. Otherwise somewhere I saved some links from here about various upgrades and mods, some of them being brake upgrades. The only one I can remember a bit about is someone used Renault Savanna(?) vented discs and 4-pot calipers of some sort.

If you put aside half a day to searching through the forum you'll find a few bits. It think it's kind of down to finding cheap 4-pot (or whatever you want) calipers that fit under the size of wheel you are running, then finding a disc the right depth and diameter and having it redrilled. If the disc is a bit too deep you could always make a spacer for the caliper. And of course finding everything in budget.
1989 Blue Mini 1000 Rebuild
1975 White De Luxe Viva HC
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:18 pm

I think it was John Sharp's lockup that you saw in the magazine.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby v8jim » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:41 pm

It was that I was just reading and they mentioned Renault discs and Granada calipers I was wandering if anyone had any more info on the conversion
v8jim
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby ian24ian » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:33 pm

I think the brake upgrade with calipers is dependent on whet stub axles you have, if you use stub axles that take the P16 caliper, your choice is pretty good, if you have p14 stubs, its limited, I think Hi spec do performance P14 fitting calipers,
p16s the almost direct replacement for p16 with 4 pots are the venerable Austin Princess 4 pots, they have the same piston fluid volume as the P16 calipers so no master cyl upgrade is needed, mk2 M18s will fit with shoulder bolts from a landrover, these still maintain the same piston size as the P or M 16s, but take a bigger bad, which has a similar swept area as the princess
A rotter and a scoundrel, :)
ian24ian
GT Viva
GT Viva

Location: Sunny Bexhill, any further south, and my feet are wet!!!!!!!!

Postby Po79 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:33 pm

I could be wrong but arent P14's and P16's (or the M14's and M16's) identical other then the acutal piston sizes? I got myself all confused over this the other day then remembered that the Ford boys swap from M14's to M16's for slightly better braking as its a bolt on swap.

Poe.
Po79
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Modifications