Axle question.

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Axle question.

Postby bobblehead006 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:10 pm

Hello all, I'm just wanting some advice. At the moment I am part way through fitting a 8 valve 2.0 calibra motor into my hc. Mating it up to a type 9. I have modified the sump to fit. In regards to the large pipe which runs from the back of the water pump around the back of the head, this was a problem for the bulkhead so took that all away and have purchased a bottom hose off a 2.3 frontera to run straight off the back of the pump to the radiator (cortina). As of yet I have not been able to get my hands on a ohc rear axle. Could some one tell me if I carry on the build with the 1256 axle on. Bearing in mind it's not going up a strip or driven like it's stolen, would the axle take it. ( will it snap, or would it be revving too high). I only ask as I have seen it mentioned that somebody retained this axle with no apparent problems. I personally think it would be ok as a temperary measure, but there will be somebody will know better than me. Thanks for any advice. Gordon.
bobblehead006
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Axle question.

Postby pbottomley » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:36 pm

1256 baby axles are fine for 100bhp, but your real issue might be the ratio 4.24:1 too low for the engine in question, it might be screaming at 75mph and very thirsty.

Also the prop shaft will need changing when or if you change to a slant four axle as its pinion is in a diff position to the 1256 axle. I think the shafts are shorter on the slant fours to the baby axles so you would need to make a custom prop for the baby axle, then modify it again to suit the larger axle.
pbottomley

Postby House » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:46 pm

The baby axle will last forever if you drive like an old lady. It's torque that breaks stuff not HP so if you dont accelerate hard you should be ok. However, your changing the engine and the only reason for that is because you want to accelerate quicker, right? Speak to Steve (sl1256) on here. He'll know more than me about using bigger engines and small axles.
House
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby bobblehead006 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:37 pm

Thanks for the replies... Truth be known, And i know some might say yeh ok I'll believe you but my change in the motor isn't for hairing about but a motor that can take a run in its stride, run unmodified on unleaded and put a five speed box on..... If an axle becomes available in the mean time I'll go for it, but untill then I'll carry on building as is.
bobblehead006
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby slimjim » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:52 pm

show us some more pictures of the 8v build, I have a cavalier 130 engine sitting in my garage :twisted:

though mine is a 1800 to start with and I have a manta gearbox!
slimjim
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby pbottomley » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:56 pm

bobblehead006 wrote:Thanks for the replies... Truth be known, And i know some might say yeh ok I'll believe you but my change in the motor isn't for hairing about but a motor that can take a run in its stride, run unmodified on unleaded and put a five speed box on..... If an axle becomes available in the mean time I'll go for it, but untill then I'll carry on building as is.

Then save some cash and fuel costs and use a 1.4 engine not a 2.0 :) thats way your within axles ability, not massively changing the CC of the car and so much nicer all round.
pbottomley

Postby bobblehead006 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:12 pm

I hear what your saying about the engine size and although it may sound nuts I have thought about a motor nearer the cars original size. I had a complete calibra motor handy complete with ecu, air flow meter, harness and everything. So went for that.
bobblehead006
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby bobblehead006 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:26 pm

Back to slim jim. Not got a whole bunch of pic's yet of actual motor build up. But will get some sorted. As far as I'm aware the manta gearbox will only fit if it came off an 1800 manta as it's basically the same motor. If it came off a 2000 manta (with cih engine) I don't think it will fit. If you still have the sump ( presuming its off an 1800) your laughing. I got bell housing to fit a type 9 from r.w.d. Near Blackburn. If you end up going down the ford type 9 gearbox route they also sell a steel flywheel to fit the vauxhall motor but the bolts are drilled to fit the complete 23 spline clutch. So just buy a complete ford clutch kit, no hybrid needed.
bobblehead006
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby slimjim » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:55 pm

bobblehead006 wrote:Back to slim jim. Not got a whole bunch of pic's yet of actual motor build up. But will get some sorted. As far as I'm aware the manta gearbox will only fit if it came off an 1800 manta as it's basically the same motor. If it came off a 2000 manta (with cih engine) I don't think it will fit. If you still have the sump ( presuming its off an 1800) your laughing. I got bell housing to fit a type 9 from r.w.d. Near Blackburn. If you end up going down the ford type 9 gearbox route they also sell a steel flywheel to fit the vauxhall motor but the bolts are drilled to fit the complete 23 spline clutch. So just buy a complete ford clutch kit, no hybrid needed.

I only have the original steel sump that's on the cavalier motor, but I am good at welding :D

the gearbox is of a 1.8 manta!
slimjim
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby looneytune » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:35 pm

The ohv axle will be ok if used sensibly. when you get a ohc axle all you need to change is the upper suspension arms as they're shorter. You wont even have to alter your new propshaft as that will still bolt straight up, but you will need shorter bolts as the ohc doesnt have the spacer like ohv. Clutch, use vaux flywheel and cover with. Ford 2l pinto plate and release bearing
looneytune
SL Viva
SL Viva

Next

Return to Modifications