gt poss engine convsersion choices

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

gt poss engine convsersion choices

Postby mattgill » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:36 pm

how easy is this, just bought a viva gt not actually picked it up yet! i dont think 100bhp will float my boat so am looking at a red top goin in
Last edited by mattgill on Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattgill

Re: c20xe engine conversion

Postby Retro morgs » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:20 am

Hello mate,be nice to see some pics of the GT when you get it :D I'm not sure that chucking a redtop in a GT is overly wise these days,maybe a freshen up and a few mods on the existing engine would be more suitable. Swapping the 2.0 unit out for a 2.3 would be a much simpler swap and totally reversible if need be at a later date,more power straight away and the potential to mod as required. Good luck with it,dont forget the pics!
68 HB bitza,72 HC 1159 Deluxe,74 HC 1800 SL auto,74 FE Ventora,94 2.8 Frontera
Retro morgs
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:15 am

putting a red top in that white GT would be criminal... Why do you NEED more power speed limit is 70mph ?? :P

The future of modified cars is looking a bit shaky these days, BUT if your set in your ways and want to fit the red top series of engines, then it will fit, but its not a quick drop in ready made parts off the shelf (not like your old haunts). :wink:

Your going to need to uprate the brakes (no after-market direct fit items exist so its make it yourself), Lots of info on internet about home made brake conversions, that may be deemed illegal soon.

You will need to make your own sump,(possibly remove all the balance shaft part from the engine), Manta 1.8 sumps are rear these days but would make a good basis for the conversion.

You will need to move the ignition module out of the way of the bulkhead,(unless you commit sin and cut the bulkhead away) UNWISE on many levels.

You will need to find a RWD gearbox (Omega manual box) two types one big one small big one will not fit unless you remove tunnel in the shell (UNWISE see link above)

The list is almost endless, 99% of it will have to be custom made, and frankly its been done to death!

One or two folks here have done the conversion I am sure they will pop in and say what needs to be said about the job, I assume you know one end of a spanner from the other? :mrgreen:

As for the GT well with only 25 / 30 left on the road and maybe half that amount in garages it does seem the wrong car to undertake this type of conversion to.

There are other paths to updating a GT if your heart is set up this, The engine could be swapped out for the larger 2.3 unit and this has potential for a reliable 160 bhp and more if you are happy to splash the cash, which isn't so different to the red top performance, albeit its a slow lazy engine not a screamer like the red top. maybe look towards the Lotus / Jensen Healy route as their engine is similar in design to the Vauxhall unit and again if its just pure get up and go you NEED then its another idea.

Anyway that my take on it, if you want to hash it about do it its your cash, but you will devalue it to about half what you paid, OR look at the 2.3 unit and some of the things that can do. :goodluck:
pbottomley

Postby hbpeter » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:23 am

Agree with Paul on this one, dont mind modified cars, but as there future is looking shaky right now, might not be a wise move. Plus the GT is a very rare car, and that one is especially good. But at the end of the day its your car and money and you will still be welcome what ever you do.

Peter :welcome:
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby mattgill » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:56 am

to a degree this was a provocative post :D you did not disappoint me people , HOWEVER if i could do it and not alter anything about the actual metalwork of the car and mothball the old parts so it could be returned to stock, i may consider it. Where would i look if i went down 2300 route for heads cams etc
mattgill

Postby hbpeter » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:12 pm

If you went 2300, then pretty much look around on ebay, this forum, and other Viva club sites, and DSG sites.
To be honest we hear so many times about fitting a redtop its become like poking a wasp nest with a stick! We have seen too many projects started and then left unfinished with a ruined car. If its possible with out major chopping about and keep the old bits, go for it. But a well built and tuned 2300 will go well, I believe your car has a 5-speed box already.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby mattgill » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:35 pm

yeah it has a 5 speed but from what i read the box that is in is pretty fragile and will not handle red top power. will keep an eye on 2300 stuff, nothing will be happening till i take it off road for winter anyway as i intend to be driving it till then as my daily car but as soon as it looks like the salt is coming out on the roads i will go back to my golf tdi for the winter. i saw a weber manifold for 2300 go for ridiculous money on ebay that what led me to think you can get a red top for that money
mattgill

Postby pbottomley » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:40 pm

Ohh you an get an engine cheap, its all the other stuff that will cost the arm and leg when added all up....
pbottomley

Postby mattgill » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:37 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-engine- ... 4169ebfd16

is that the lotus engine required if going lotus route
mattgill

Re: gt poss engine convsersion choices

Postby pbottomley » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:29 pm

yes the 900 series of engines
pbottomley

Next

Return to Modifications