Lotus Viva

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Lotus Viva

Postby double-dave » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:42 am

So - I'm currently collecting bits together to make a 'Lotus Viva' or Magnum out of my currently 1256 HC estate. I'll be using all Magnum brakes, front clip, axle etc, with a Lotus 907 engine and gearbox.

I've got most of the big bits lined up, and I picked up a 2.0 907 engine from a Lotus Elite (cross drilled crank - should be around 160 bhp), twin dellorto 40 carbs (need a total rebuild) and a 5 speed '78 elite box. Also got some elite clocks and a workshop manual - so the collection of bits is starting to take shape.

Now then - I've been talking at length with Steve Hammond about the 2.3 steel slant 4 vauxhall block with the 907 twin cam head conversion, using CF LC pistons with the 907 conrods and some alteration to the oil and water ways on the head. It sounds like a great project - but all the bits and machining all add up. Sooo - before I go too far down one route or another - what do you guys think?

I'm really keen on hearing from anyone who may have attempted this conversion already about the following main points:

1. The whole point in using a 907 engine is that It's a mainly 'bolt on' conversion - I don't want to alter anything on the car shell from original - like any chopping of the firewall etc. It looks like it will be a snug fit on paper - and the 907 was reputedly built on a slant four - but the lotus head is slightly longer so without mocking it up I can't say for sure....

2. Who on here is doing a Lotus/vauxhall slant 4 build? How is it coming along?

As always - any input greatfully recived - and thanks in advance.

P.S. Photos to follow! - and this is the car - viewtopic.php?f=34&t=16262
double-dave
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Lotus Viva

Postby dann01 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:40 am

Doing much the same with a droop 2.3. Still amasing bits. Have an engine and due to pick up head cams and covers at the week end. Considering conrods and pistons?

Will be keeping a big valve head and the stainless manifolds as a back up should the project get too costly.

I have plenty of time yet, since I have shed loads to do elsewhere before I can consider putting the droop together.

Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby fistfullofV5's » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:40 am

I love the idea personally. Engine conversions that don't require an angle grinder are a rarity it seems,and I will be following the build thread with interest. Thinking about it,has anyone listed the engine/box combo's that will fit our cars without major chopping?
Dave.
fistfullofV5's
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby double-dave » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:35 pm

Hmmm - I've just been breaking the news to Steve - I feel dirty inside - becasue i've swapped the viva for another non Vauxhall car. I have commited the sin of sins and swapped the old girl - but I had to do it as it was for a Mk2 Ford Consul highline - 1958 with a ticket so MOT exempt in November. It needs a scud load of work to get it roadworthy however - but I had to do it.

I hang my Viva hat in shame :roll:

Still - it's gone to a good guy in Chelmsford who loved the viva on sight. He's a rodder (consuls, zephyrs, zodiacs etc) but wanted the viva as a work runabout.

The Lotus bits and delortos will have to go up on ebay becasue I need a lot of new bits for the new car... and a welder, air compressor, air tools, etc etc.

Sorry guys. :(
double-dave
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby hbpeter » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:27 pm

:imsmiling: :voodoo:

Oh well as long as its gone to a good home, hope you told the new owner about us!!
Good luck with your new toy.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby double-dave » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:11 am

:shock: :cry: :oops:

Ha! yeah, he said he loved the car. He wanted a cash sale on the Consul and 'didn't like Vivas' - but fell in love with it as soon as he saw it and we did a deal. I've given him all the club membership stuff so he has the details. I also said that if an angle grinder touches it then he will be hunted down and beaten. I told him how rare the car is and if he thinks about getting rid of it for any reason, then to stick it on here first.

All my Lotus conversion bits are on a scheduled start on the bay tonight - starting at 8:30 this eve. If there is anything that anyone is seriously intested in then I'm willing to give first refusal and end the auction early. Bits for sale are:

Lotus Esprit S2 907 engine (cross drilled crank version)
Lotus Esprit 5 speed gearbox (looks lovely inside)
Lotis Esprit clocks and binnicale (full set of 6 - speedo, tach, oil, fule etc etc)
907 Starter motor - comes with soem new Lucas brushes - boxed.
Twin 40 Dellorto carbs - need a service.
Lotus Esprit/Eclat/Excel service manual binder - it's huge! the size of an encylopedia.

Really, really sorry to go straight in with the bay listings - but I need sensible offers for the above. Putting it bluntly - I need as much money as I can get for the Consul project (need a welder and and air compressor as well as Consul spares) so I need to get back what I can from the Lotus bits. Viva guys get first refusal and wiggle room though so I'm open to offers.

Cheers.
double-dave
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Modifications