replacing suspension...what do i need?!

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

replacing suspension...what do i need?!

Postby Rullverine » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:00 pm

QqTMy suspension is hideous. It's brown crusty, and everything sags on the drivers side by 2 inches.
Also the bushes are bad on the shocks and poking through on the lower arms due to rot!. I have new arms with bushes so that's ok. My question is, where can I get shocks and.springs from that are less bouncy and rubbish from? I don't need anything flash, or really want to ne spending mega money....but just something to improve how saggy/rolly it is! I would prefer very slightly lowered at the front to give.it a.nice stance without slamming it to the ground! Im assuming the front bushes will be screwed as everything is super old. I dont really wanna change all of it, so does anyone know which ones are prone to most wear?
Lastly what do you do about the mounting cups on the rear springs? I doubt the old ones will be much use welded by rust by now. How can you attach new ones if you cant find these parts?
Thanks....sorry this message uncovers many a problem!
Also anyone know of any other rads that fit 1256 hcs? I know they seem to be rare as now and im on my second rad weld :/
Rullverine
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: replacing suspension...what do i need?!

Postby vx-mike » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:01 pm

Pm me with your tel number, I may be able to help with the rad.

Mike
vx-mike
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby shamm » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:53 pm

The club can get you complete bush sets and shocks are also available.
Snoot springs are slightly shorter and will lower the front slightly.

I'm only down the road so if you get stuck let me know.

Steve.
Steve Hammond

Two 2.3 Viva's, one 2.3 Viva Estate, one 2.3 Magnum estate, half share in a 1.6 Viva auto, and no time (HC183)
shamm
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby oli8925 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:16 pm

South Yorkshire Springs for the springs. He can alter them to your spec so, say you want to lower it a little, ask him for 10mm lower springs for a 1256 HC. I think HPF springs are -30mm (?), but are designed to take OHC weight, so this guy is great for getting the look and feel you want for the OHV.

Club can get you shocks, or there are often a few floating around ebay, or KYB do standard spec shocks at something like £30 or £40 a corner. AVO and GAZ or Spax do adjustable shocks at a touch over £60 a corner.

Club can sort you out with rubber bushes, or you can get poly bushes from Motorsport World (Superflex bushes) or from a guy on here or RetroRides called Coggers. PM him. They're about the same price, poly slightly more expensive, so it's down to preference. Rubber typically gives a softer ride at the expense of longevity.
1989 Blue Mini 1000 Rebuild
1975 White De Luxe Viva HC
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Rullverine » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:24 pm

This is most helpful indeed! Everything has been answered, bar one thing....the rear spring mountingcups and top mountings. On my car im not sure if there salvageable, judging by the look of everything, it looks all welded together with grime, and age old rust!
Yeah I shall Steve...you might get mike speak to you about a rad, im buying it off him, bur he said if your going to the meeting at the weekend, he might be able to give to you. Then I could pick it up from you. Obviously only if that is ok with you!
Russ
Rullverine
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby oli8925 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:15 pm

Cups - remind me how they're held in place. If I remember there's a single bolt going through the middle into the lower arm? or is it a stud? When I did mine the stud/bolt sheared as usual, I ground the studs out and just replaced with a nut, bolt and some large washers of my own. Easy.
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Rullverine » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:26 pm

That's it, I think it's a single bolt indeed, only they look like they are now part of the old springs. No amount of wd40 will ever penetrate the rust there to separate them from the springs top and bottom!
Rullverine
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:07 am

Top should be easier to split as there should be a rubber insulator between the spring and cup, I think. I've seen people replace the lower one with a large flat washer, needs to be quite thick of course but it's only to stop the spring going anywhere.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Paul Dawson » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:19 pm

I took the springs off my '72 HC recently and with a good soaking in PlusGas I got them out without shearing anything. And they looked well crusty beforehand.

As said, there is one bolt at the top and one at the bottom. If they shear then the spring will come out and it's a case of drilling out what's left and replacing with a suitable bolt at the top and nut and bolt at the bottom. The top one is the more tricky since there's a captive nut inside the mount which is hard to get at, so try to save the thread in that bolt if possible.

The top mount - captive nut inside

Spring with upper and lower mounting bolts

Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby oli8925 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:01 pm

Yep, now I remember :D
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to Modifications